Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Unknown & unidentified P type spotted
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Richard Le Flufy

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  20:28:19  Show Profile
I was driving up to Heathrow on the A303 yesterday morning (0530) and overtook a MMM on a trailer. It looked like a P type, but with double spare wheel carrier and cycle wings. Front ones were filled in - mud catchers? Cream and recently restored. Towed by a white van at 70 mph!
Being curious and suspicious I took the numbers, HPO 348 for the MMM and C11ANT on the van, but apparently the MMM number is not known to the registrar nor is it on the DVLA database.
Does anyone know anything about this car?
Thanks
Richard

RLF
J3618

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  20:57:28  Show Profile
How did you manage to write down /take the numbers if you were travelling/driving at 70 mph ?? -)) perhaps it was a TA cracker lookalike?

Edited by - O.Thomas on 10/12/2015 20:59:31
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  21:03:16  Show Profile
Yes , just looked a persons website it is a TA cracker lookalike
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2143 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  22:09:58  Show Profile
He says he 'took the numbers', no mention he wrote them down !

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2015 :  22:23:10  Show Profile
Thanks for that observation Rich
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  01:00:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hardy

He says he 'took the numbers', no mention he wrote them down !

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Isn't that stealing?

Good thinking on your feet, though!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.

Edited by - Max Headroom on 11/12/2015 01:01:25
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
758 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2015 :  13:56:50  Show Profile
Some years ago I was doing some work for a gent from the Emerald Isle, when I visited his office one day I asked what had happened to his car, he thought that he had hit another car. The whole of his front end was missing! A few days later he received a letter from a solicitor who thanked him for leaving his number with his client,"and the front valance and the front bumper"

John Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Richard Le Flufy

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2015 :  12:57:00  Show Profile
Had my wife with me - so of course I should have said she took the numbers....
Olli - whats the website you had a look at?
makes reasonable sense that it is a TA Cracker lookalike - difficult to judge bonnet length in the dark, but does not explain why it is not showing on the DVLA website.
Anyway, it appears it was legitimate, which was my point and concern.
Richard

RLF
J3618
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2015 :  13:50:15  Show Profile
I use this DVLA site

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

So long as you have the number and make of vehicle, you should get something come up.

What seems odd in this instance, is that nothing comes up at all; as if HPO 348 does not exist. I also tried a few variants of HPO 348 such as HP 0348. Was it definitely an MG?

I had this happen when I investigated a dodgy looking car left parked badly on a nearby road in my area, it turned out it had been scrapped, but some hoodlums were using it to drive around in and had run out of fuel.

Well worth checking this out further!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.

Edited by - Max Headroom on 13/12/2015 13:54:40
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2015 :  14:33:25  Show Profile
I've used other sites before (RAC) and not found numbers. Just typed in the numbers of 2 of my cars which are running and MOT'd and according to the web you've given they don't exist!!!
Go to Top of Page

creamcracker

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2015 :  14:36:28  Show Profile
It look as though the correct Vehicle Registration Mark may possibly be HPD 348, as a vehicle with this VRM shows up on record as Make Unknown but registered 1938, so could be an MG T Type?

https://www.vehiclecheck.co.uk/?SC=132&vrm=hpd348
What is also of interest/concern is that the towing white van does not register on the data base. Perhaps incorrectly noted or fictitious?
Another of life's little mysteries.
Keith

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2501 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2015 :  14:55:34  Show Profile
Puting in the make on the DVLA website can be a problem. Using MG as the make for my 2 post war cars gave a result, but for the P, taxed etc, nothing. I rang the DVLA and was told you must put in EXACTLY what is listed on the V5. Armed with this I typed "MG P TYPE" and lo and behold my car suddenly existed.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

creamcracker

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2015 :  15:56:41  Show Profile
Dave, you are quite right. At present, this part of the DVLA system is "not fit for purpose". I have had a running battle with them over exactly this problem.
It transpires that whatever was input onto their original data base, is what stands. It therefore means that innumerable vehicles, not just MGs, are incorrectly described in the "make" or "model" section of the Form. The DVLA website will only recognise any search if, as you say, the details as shown on line D1 of the V5C are input.
They tell me that this problem is "work in progress" !
With more and more things relying on searches to this and other data bases, ie MOTs and Insurance, I would urge owners to check their vehicle documentation and get as many details correct as is possible.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2015 :  15:58:31  Show Profile
Hmmmm.

Yes, but putting in my J which hasn't been on the road since Pontius was a Pilate - it all shows up!

Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
960 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2015 :  17:17:46  Show Profile
HPD 348 is chassis number TA2520.

JOHN JAMES www.ttypes.org
'Proud to be independent'
Go to Top of Page

creamcracker

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2015 :  18:33:29  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Max Headroom

Hmmmm.

Yes, but putting in my J which hasn't been on the road since Pontius was a Pilate - it all shows up!

OK, so presumably you have a V5 or V5C for the J Type, irrespective of how long it has been off the road. One of mine was last taxed 30 years ago, but still comes up on the search.
Keith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000