Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Car dealer badges
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2015 :  22:51:57  Show Profile

I'm aware that there are different dealer badges or dashboard plaques, but has anyone seen, got, or able to link me to an example of a Dash badge/plaque for P.J. Evans of John Bright Street, Birmingham?

...If indeed there is such a thing!

My searches during the past two years have been totally fruitless.

Any help or suggestions very much appreciated.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  08:24:54  Show Profile
Dear Max and the forum:

Through the web there is an answer(not 42).
If you try this site there are several dealer badges available.
Automobilia for sale.co.uk.
There is a hook the price .

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  12:54:02  Show Profile
2 years - we've been looking for an "Imperial Motor Mart" of Cheltenam dashboard plaque for over 30!

Searching is alegedly all part of the fun.....

JH
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  13:32:17  Show Profile
Patience is a prior requisite. For one of my Rovers with a special lifting jack, I waited for over 30 years to find one, mixed in with Morris parts in a deceased restorers workshop. Over 20 years to find a makers plate, damaged due to material ( bakelite ) crumbling, but original ! ( Baker & Sons, Reading, Berks ).

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  21:52:19  Show Profile
Interesting replies indeed. Thank you all.

I think I need to try and find out if a P.J. Evans badges actually exist before looking any further, otherwise I might be just trying to find something that isn't out there

As a result, of this thread I am now making a few enquiries regarding that matter.

And of course, JMH, you are in fact right that this is all supposed to be part of the fun; it's rather like a jigsaw with bits missing not just in terms of the car and it's components, but of uncovering missing bits of a given vehicles history - something that so far I have had a huge amount of fortune with - I'm still uncovering things at a reasonably regular rate.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.

Edited by - Max Headroom on 18/12/2015 21:52:55
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  22:04:28  Show Profile
Keep looking Max. I've often been told "I've never seen one of those". But, nobody has ever said "there's no such thing as one of those". So.....the search continues......(& if anybody out there has seen one, please let me know, it will go alongside the St Christopher that's been on the dash for over 60 years).
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2015 :  22:55:26  Show Profile
Thank you for the encouragement Jeremy. I'm certainly relentless when it comes to digging around in the past - if there is anything to find I'll try and turn every stone until I think I've found it all.

My car has connections to the CMC (Cheltenham Motor Club), and I note that you are seeking a Cheltenham suppliers badge. Was the vehicle you have by any chance, also connected to the CMC or driven by one of its members?

As we rapidly veer off-topic here, I must say that the CMC have been hugely helpful and allowed me full access to their archives.
No photographs (frustratingly), but I certainly found a lot more information on the drivers of my car (N.H. Cole and his wife) and details of events and trials that they drove while it was in their ownership.
In fact, earlier this month, on the 7th Dec (the eve of the anniversary of the 1934 Lon/Glos trial) in which J2545 car was driven with reasonable success, I presented the CMC with a framed photo of the car taken during that trial and all in the presence of N.H. Cole's son Bill, as a token of my thanks for allowing me access to the archive.

Much to our great amusement, Bill Cole and I also scored the top marks in the CMC annual quiz which was held on the same evening, in which we were allowed to enter as guests!

........BILL COLE...............................................................MYSELF.............................................RICH CLAYTON (CMC)

Not the greatest of photos but at least it goes some way to recording the event

Edited by - Max Headroom on 18/12/2015 23:15:33
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2015 :  09:25:05  Show Profile
I am getting the same assistance from the Harrow Car Club, I am soon meeting up with a member who has some of D.H.Cottinghams trophies, Brooklands membership badges and an armband when he ' served ' in the pits, he bought them off of Cottinghams mother in 1939 just before Brooklands was decommissioned.The gentleman is currently in Canada and we will be meeting on his return after Christmas...exciting.

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2015 :  09:49:34  Show Profile
Max,
I've sent you an e-mail. At least I know the premises still exist. This was the J2 on her 80th:

JH
Go to Top of Page

KJ1592

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2015 :  14:28:57  Show Profile
Mark,

I've sent you an email. Hopefully you'll receive it ok. Keep an eye on your junk folder.

Best wishes,
Ian
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2015 :  08:58:39  Show Profile
Very many thanks to all contributions regarding these badges.

Particular thanks to Ian Holmes whom has positively identified that P.J. Evans Ltd did in fact produce a dashboard plaque, and was able to show me pictures of two different types; a round blue-enamelled badge with the words "Supplied by PJ Evans Birmingham" and a Saint Christopher in the centre. And the other one, possibly earlier but a very attractive badge which is rectangular and reads "Supplied by P.J. Evans John Bright St. Birmingham.

Hopefully, I will find one of the blue enamelled ones which is probably more likely the correct one for the 1930s although I have no proof of that being a fact.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000