Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Gallery of Factory Photographs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2016 :  09:28:41  Show Profile
Hello folks

Back in 2014 the Register rolled out a facility for you to view and purchase factory pictures from the Register's on-line Library.

Candidly the volume of purchases has been low - perhaps because people have forgotten about the facility - and we have just learned that the service provider, a company called Photobox, will be withdrawing the facility shortly. That suggests two things:

1. If you would like to use the facility you'd better get a wiggle on! Details are at http://www.triple-mshop.org/gallery/

2. If there is continuing interest in retaining this facility, the Register may be able line up an alternative provider, but it's a big task so first we need to be certain whether the demand is there. Perhaps we need a referendum of our community members?

Therefore please will you let us know whether you would expect to use the facility if we continue to offer it?

Thanks
Dick Morbey

sven

Sweden
423 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2016 :  09:37:32  Show Profile
Dick
Thank you for this information. I think referendum might have gotten a slightly bad reputation among some of us europeans lately, but please make the facility available somehow. I have had great assistance in my restorations with the photos provided.

Regards
Sven
Sweden
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2016 :  10:59:27  Show Profile
I actually bought some of the photos but they were of such poor quality that I haven't bothered with the facility again. I gather that everything was scanned on the basis that since they wouldn't be printed at more than 300 dpi there was no point in scanning at a higher resolution than that. In consequence it is not possible to zoom in on a particular part of the photo to get greater detail. From my own experience of scanning the original photos of my car, by scanning them at 1200 dpi I was able to produce pretty decent 8" x 12" enlargements which revealed a lot of detail. Scanning at 300 dpi is a waste of time for anything other than same size reproduction.

I'd rather have a decent quality original print and then scan it myself.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2016 :  12:34:48  Show Profile
We touched on this before but this illustrates some of the detail concealed in a proper print scanned at high resolution -

Or this ?

High resolution scans are a chore but very useful.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 10/12/2016 12:58:14
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  13:00:29  Show Profile
Any news of progress ? http://www.triple-mshop.org/gallery/

Sam
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  14:55:29  Show Profile
Sam/all

As you will have seen, there was pretty much no response on this thread when it was posted in June and no evidence of demand for the facility to access these photographs. (When the facility was live it had very little use.)

As foreshadowed, the original provider of the web-based facility has now withdrawn and we have no plans to seek an alternative provider.

Sorry!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  15:20:55  Show Profile
Thanks Dick. What a pity.

I wonder if members ever grasped what we stood to miss out on.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  16:38:50  Show Profile
Why not revert to the old system of selling decent sized enlargements? The Photobox photos really were useless.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1955 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  17:16:41  Show Profile
Yes, Simon I would like the opportunity to buy some of the factory photos and I'm sure there will be many others. I seem to remember though there were problems with financing the scheme let alone the further workload.
Great shame the service is no longer available.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1955 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  17:27:49  Show Profile
Should have indicated that I was referring to the old original service provided by the library.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  18:19:38  Show Profile
Chris/all, the register does still possess negatives which were created from the original glass plates some years ago. In the past these were used to create wet silver prints – typically I think in half plate size – but the facility to do that Is not so easy to arrange these days.

The digitisation of theseimages was done to the best of the registers ability couple of years ago but obviously the standard was not deemed satisfactory by many of you.

The negatives are in the course of being transferred to the new archive facility at Kimber house. This is likely to happen early in the New Year. We can certainly consider the possibility of reviving the service that you and others have mentioned, although it's fair to add – or perhaps unfair to add – that the demand for these pictures has almost completely tailed off in recent times and therefore the time, effort and cost entailed in reprinting was disproportionate to that demand.

Obviously we do not want to withhold valuable resources from (club) members, so I suggested anybody who is itching to get their hands on some of these photographs should make this known through this web discussion page and we can then consider and perhaps reassess the situation.

Does that sound like a fair plan?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  18:27:16  Show Profile
At least we got these photos out of the dusty archives on to the gallery. Seems to have sparked some interest for a much better solution

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  20:10:56  Show Profile
Prehaps the lack of demand for the pictures was due to a lack of knowledge of their existence? If it is impractical to produce individual prints to order from the negatives, perhaps a solution might be to scan the half plate negatives (6"x4"?) at high resolution (at least 1200dpi) and make these scans available for M.G. Car Club members to purchase?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  21:55:47  Show Profile
Thanks Simon.

I'll send you an intra-committee note off line.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
345 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  23:58:13  Show Profile
I am a member of our village heritage society and three years ago we had digitised a mixture of some 600 half plate (4.25x5.5 inches) and quarter plate (3.25x4.25 inches) glass negatives that were taken by a local amateur photographer in the late 1800s, they were photographed and inverted in tiff file format (98mb) by archivists in our county museum at a cost of £385, this is an example in jpg format (1.6mb), I can't add the tiff to show the quality.

Some of the images were used in a book about the photographer's family who lived in the same house but travelled the world, not throwing any documents away, for over 100 years, a fascinating tale it is too.

I have no idea how many factory images there are but I am sure the best process is to work direct with the negatives. How the files are marketed would need careful thought as I am sure the register or club would wish to retain copyright if that is applicable.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

bars

Switzerland
14 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  03:34:29  Show Profile
Dear Dick & co.

How many negatives of factory photos are we talking about - approximate number - and what size are the negatives ? I am sure there must be an interest to purchase well scanned jpgs. If thumbnails can be seen everyone can select as required and purchase jpg / pdf from Register or MGCC.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000