Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Possible changes to MoT rules
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2016 :  08:29:55  Show Profile
I'm posting this as a result of coming across it in another Vintage Car forum. It might be a good idea if those of you who also use other fora could repost there as well.

The government is proposing to reintroduce the MOT for old cars. There isn't long to respond. Some of the questions appear loaded and if it happens it could make it very difficult for people who have specials or replicas (if they are not exempt) as they would then have to pass the SVA test.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/roadworthiness-testing-for-vehicles-of-historic-interest

Please take a moment to have a look...

So many dynamos

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2016 :  08:48:55  Show Profile
There has already been a brief discussion about this here - http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11394

I don't think it's fair to say that the government is proposing to introduce MOTs for old cars. The document says that the government's preferred option is

"Exempt 40 year old ‘VHIs’ from annual testing and introduce a ‘VHI’ certification process to ensure a vehicle has not been substantially changed (could be based on self-certification or independent inspection or a combination)."

Simon J
J3437
P.S. I can't find any reference in the document to SVA which is a different issue altogether.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 04/10/2016 08:59:07
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
399 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2016 :  09:53:20  Show Profile
Just what are SVA and VHI? I do wish people wouldn't use impenetrable jargon.
Ian Thomson
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2016 :  10:26:20  Show Profile
Seek and ye shall find. If you read the government's consultation paper you'll find the definition of VHI in the first paragraph of the Executive Summary on page 6. SVA(which has nothing to do with the MOT test proposals) is Single Vehicle Approval, or more properly Individual Vehicle Approval, and is in effect Type Approval for individual cars - see https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/inspection-fees

Simon J
J3437
P.S. There's also a clue in the text of the link in the first post.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 04/10/2016 10:52:36
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2016 :  11:12:57  Show Profile
Thanks Simon, I had overlooked the original post..

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000