Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Tracing History registraion Plates
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2017 :  19:31:29  Show Profile
PA 1024 came with a registration plate. The plate Number EP 5849. The original owner a Doctor WCD Berwick from Welshpool, Montgomery Shire, Wales, (I have not been able to find anything on him?). Car was purchased through J. Hopley & Son? The plate is a Welsh plate from 1903-1946 issue.
I am hoping to find out weather one can determine.
1) if the plate is original to the car?
2) if any further information can be gleaned from unknown records?
3) any info on Dr. Berwick ?

Kindly,

Brian W Sullivan

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2017 :  20:39:50  Show Profile
Brian, Much of what you say seems to tie up!

The factory records do not state the car's first registration number - most likely because the dealer, and not the Works, registered the car from new.

J Hopley and Son Ltd operated from Whitchurch, Shropshire. Whitchurch is in England and lies between Shrewsbury and Chester. No less a person than Mike Dowley operates from premises on the Whitchurch Road!

Dr. Berwick was, as you say, from Welshpool which is only 35 or so miles from Whitchurch.

'EP' is a Mongomeryshire plate and Mongomeryshire is in Wales!

Whereas Whitchurch is just on the English side of the border with Wales, Welshpool lies just the other side of that border. I'm not sure what effect that would have had on the locus of the car's registration - perhaps wiser counsels can advise?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
960 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2017 :  21:40:31  Show Profile

MONTGOMERY records are now held by:

Powys Record Office, County Hall, Llandrindod Wells, LD1 5LG (01597 826088)

http://www.powys.gov.uk/en/archives/find-archives-local-records

Allocation books EP 8143 - LEP 537X plus isolated MEP-K. Card index complete EP 1 - SEP 204N

It looks as though they hold a record card for EP 5849.

I think that this registration mark is almost certainly the one allocated to the car, but hopefully. the record card will confirm this.
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2017 :  22:00:54  Show Profile

It was my understanding that all local historic motor license records were in the course of being transferred to a central DVLA computer. My recent efforts to obtain historic information from a local license office has been refused on account of this transfer. Am I misunderstanding the situation?

Powerplus.
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2017 :  23:26:41  Show Profile
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your help!

John the web link looks promising indeed.
I know the car from two ends at this point putting together the provenance. On the one end here in the States back to 1977 & there in England from beginning May of 1934. A lot of filling in to do...
Best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2017 :  22:01:19  Show Profile
Contacted the Powys Record Office and they found this card in their file. Say's Obsolete and is a transfer from Surrey ? from 1964 and notes make as MG. So does this confirm the plate to be the original to the car? and why noted as Obsolete ? Not sure what is written after Surrey or Surrvey?

Any help in understanding is appreciated.

Best,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
960 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  00:04:16  Show Profile
Surrey is a County in the South East of England.

The abbreviation after Surrey is probably CCL, which stands for County Council Licences.

I don't understand the reference to 'Obsolete' but it is possible that the form (R.F.16/1) was endorsed as such because it wouldn't be required under the Central licensing system which was about to be established in the mid 1960s as the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency).

PA1024 was first registered with Montgomery County Council Licensing Authority in 1934.

It looks as though the records of its registration were at some time
transferred to Surrey County Council Licensing Authority and then were transferred back to Montgomery in 1964.

In those days if the car changed owners and the new owner lived in a different Licensing Authority area, the records of its registration would be sent to the distant Licensing Authority.

To illustrate the point, albeit it would have been extremely unlikely, Dr Berwick might have moved from Montgomeryshire to Surrey and back again to Montgomeryshire. However, it is far more likely that
the car would have passed through a succession of owners before coming back to Montgomeryshire.

On the balance of probability, the plate has to be original to the car.

Welshpool Town Council might be able to assist with some information on Dr. Berwick.
http://www.welshpooltowncouncil.gov.uk

JOHN JAMES
THE MG 'T' SOCIETY LIMITED
Go to Top of Page

sullivan

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  01:34:28  Show Profile
John,
Thank you for that. You are indeed a wealth of knowledge.
Have now contacted the town council to see how far the thread can be followed...
We shall see. I hope to find out a little about the good Dr. Berwick.

Kindly,

Brian W Sullivan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000