Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Headlamp Brackets
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  06:53:10  Show Profile
In view of the lack of stock of these items, I decided to make my own of these replacement headlamp brackets. I have a copy of an invoice from MG that this was a later upgrade and was fitted for free originally. Can anyone advise why there are the four smaller holes, two on each bracket either side and to the front of the main lamp hole ? The lamp brackets are off J4129 as evidenced by a small amount of green paint. Maybe for a competition number board, or to move the number plate higher ? Any help would be appreciated, Thankyou.

CJD

mgmog

United Kingdom
463 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  08:45:34  Show Profile
Super job Chris, could the holes be used for mounting horns?
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6010 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  09:05:44  Show Profile
Chris

These brackets were to relocate the headlamps to prevent road spray hitting the driver and were not needed after J3331 when a new headlamp mounting and wing stay was introduced. This was superseded from J3591 which apparently moved the lamps outwards once more as, with the swept wings, they didn't need to be moved inwards. Of course if your swept wing car had been fitted with cycle wings these brackets would have been needed but otherwise it seems unlikely they come from it

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1962 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  09:55:50  Show Profile
I like the use of a period 1938 shilling for scaling purposes!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1962 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  10:00:23  Show Profile
Or should that read scribing?

Chris
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1627 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  11:35:42  Show Profile
Chris I made a batch of these headlamp brackets some years ago copied from originals. The two holes you mention are not original to the bracket and have been drilled later for a badge or similar. There should also be a step in the bracket equal to the thickness of the lug in the wing stay bracket. You can see this in your original one. Without this the brackets will not line up correctly when you put the bar through.
There is a works information sheet regarding these brackets let me know if you want a copy.

TH
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  13:01:40  Show Profile
Thanks for your informed replies, I was not aware that the four front holes were not original, and also Simon for advising that this is in fact off J2353 and the not the later car.

So looks like badges or horns were added. If you get to make any more Terry or Rich I would be a willing customer for a set. I will use these in the interim, I have altered the profile on my hand made ones to allow for the step.

The shilling is for scribing the rounded end, I like to keep ' period ' cash in my cars for effect.

Thanks.

CJD

Edited by - MG Maverick on 03/04/2017 13:06:39
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
498 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  20:36:48  Show Profile
Below is a shot of an original bracket in front of the type Simon mentions started at J3331. Grey wing stay is J3356. Simon's and mine are consecutive numbers - J3436 and J3437.

Part number can be seen on the drawing. tommm

Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2017 :  23:25:46  Show Profile
Terry is correct . There must be a crank on the arm as otherwise your brackets will not work. I do have the tooling to make these but life is too short !

Like quite a bit information in Octagon Haven, the diagrams and info is not always strictly correct

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 03/04/2017 23:27:29
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  07:29:45  Show Profile
I had put the crank in already, everything lines up perfectly, thanks for the advice. ( photo ).

I am sure now that the four extra holes were for the number plate, moved to the higher position. J2353 probably was the supercharged one of the two, so seems sensible to fix the numberplate higher, above the cowling.

CJD

Edited by - MG Maverick on 04/04/2017 07:30:35
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6010 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  07:57:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hardy

Like quite a bit information in Octagon Haven [sic], the diagrams and info is not always strictly correct.

In this case I think good ol' George Jarrard got it right as the drawing is simply a reproduction of the factory Information Sheet.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000