Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Who bought MGs in the thirties?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

MH

Germany
199 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  18:00:35  Show Profile
The first owner of my PA 1816:

Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2017 :  13:41:35  Show Profile
My own 1933 J1 Salonette was purchased new by a Mrs Lee of Thirsk in Yorkshire. Few cars on the roads, far fewer lady drivers, I would have thought quite a small number who could buy a new and quite expensive car in their own name. I have always wondered what her background might have been in those so different days 84 years ago.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2017 :  14:36:51  Show Profile
Richard
Look here pages 18 to 22
http://www.goldenfleecehotel.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Golden-Fleece-Hotel-in-Thirsk-History-Booklet.pdf
Regards
George
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2017 :  15:04:20  Show Profile
Well well! I know Thirsk. There was another salonette 25 miles away, up the road at Eaglescliife. That is where F Type RX9619 had gone the previous year, to a Mr Jones, as I recall, must check. I found nothing on him when I researched many years ago, He lived at The Garth but there seemed to be no trace of that either... Mr Jones had a penchant for painted number plates which is why the car was registered at Abingdon...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2017 :  12:41:12  Show Profile
Mrs Lee appears to have remained in Thirsk after selling the hotel, passing away in 1962 at the age of 90.

Her first husband, Charles Harold Macauley, born Huddersfield 1867, was also a publican - they are on the 1901 census at the Commercial Hotel in Sowerby, just south of Thirsk. He died in 1909 and she married James Lee in 1912. James possibly died in 1948, but there are at least two candidates in Thirsk on earlier censuses, neither of them publicans in 1911 - one was a butcher and the other a draper. Of the two, the butcher looks a bit more likely. Could be neither of them though! That would probably need research in the local papers.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2017 :  12:54:57  Show Profile
Wow, fantastic research information - thanks chaps .

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000