Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 12" Brakes
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1547 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2017 :  15:51:51  Show Profile
Regarding brake drum colour for best heat dissipation, my memory from school physics always advised that black was best.
If so, why not try a high temperature black exhaust manifold paint?

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2017 :  16:12:34  Show Profile
Effective heat loss by radiation only takes place from low red hot conditions and above, at this point blackness assists radiative loss. Up to that point convection is the primary mode of heat loss. Air, from the action of driving and the rotating wheels provides a highly effective coolant. Fins help both rigidity and heat loss.

The major factor for maximising convection is avoiding insulating the drum with a heavy paint layer.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1547 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2017 :  16:32:16  Show Profile
Ian,
Whilst agreeing with your premise that heat loss/dissipation by the convective airflow round the brake drum will be greater than that of the (lesser) benefit of black-body radiation, are you able to say how much the insulating effect of a layer of black paint is/will be?
Most brake drum metals will corrode/rust if left without a protective (paint?) finish.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2017 :  18:30:58  Show Profile
Sorry, Bruce, I just don't have that information. However I am confident that a metallic paint (eg aluminium flake) will be more efficient than something like Hammerite, though the difference will almost certainly be quite small.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2017 :  19:16:52  Show Profile
It's all to do with Stefan-Boltzmann law and Wien's Law. S-B law relates to the total energy radiated from a blackbody proportional to its fourth power of its temperature.Wiens law is the relationship between the wavelength of the maximum intensity a black body emits and its temperature .
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1547 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2017 :  19:31:03  Show Profile
Hi Olli,
I applaud your powers for Google searches , but you forgot to mention Planck's law of black-body radiation.......tut, tut.

But back to the 'job-in-hand', it most probably doesn't matter what colour you paint the brake drums to stop them corroding/rusting.

Bruce. (PB0564)

Edited by - Bruce Sutherland on 24/10/2017 19:34:24
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2017 :  20:56:30  Show Profile
I would guess that more people would worry about the ability of MMM brakes to generate heat than those that worry about dissipating heat from them. Geoff [with hydraulics AND ventilated drums]
Go to Top of Page

Hamish McNinch

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2017 :  21:47:42  Show Profile
Duh! Oliver didn't mentioned Planck's law because he was, quite correctly for the matter in hand, applying the Raleigh-Jeans Law in the low frequency case while, again quite correctly, referring to Wien at the higher end.

It's all pretty basic.....
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2017 :  05:41:02  Show Profile
I'd heard about whine, and the short plank laws, but not the others ! Relates to thickness of material I think !
DD

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 25/10/2017 05:48:34
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1547 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2017 :  10:25:38  Show Profile
OK! OK!
I bow to the superior Googlers’ and Wikipedias’ in their searches to understand the physics behind radiation from bodies……………….it’s a constant delight to find the depth of knowledge on this forum.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2017 :  11:23:40  Show Profile
All this erudite discussion does nothing really to answer the OP question. I guess probably most Triple Ms had black drums originally and this is my preference. I had heard that the suppliers of the Alfin drums said they should not be painted and, while I can ask them if I decide to buy, I wonder if any member can suggest a REALLY valid reason why this should be so?

Confused of Lewes
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1885 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2017 :  11:39:11  Show Profile
If they are painted then no-one would notice them and thus the supplier would not benefit from the extra demand generated by those admiring them?

From the one who put C in oracle.
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2017 :  14:48:15  Show Profile
I am very happy when my drums are producing heat - it is when they are dead cold after the car has stopped a mere inch from the wall or car in front that I worry !!

Edited by - tonym on 25/10/2017 14:49:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000