Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Metal (aluminium?) Spats for a J2 rear mudguard ..
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2017 :  11:38:45  Show Profile
Here's the story, Tom - http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=6445&SearchTerms=Northumberland,j2

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2017 :  11:40:27  Show Profile

I know this is partly about 'bling' but to anyone who thinks the car looks just as good or better without the aluminium is it worth considering protecting the paintwork with clear plastic film sold for the purpose? It is cheap and virtually invisible -"Specially designed to be fitted to body work that is prone to damage from stone chips, bugs, minor scuffs and scratches."

Might there be problems with aluminium fixed over steel especially where mud and water is readily trapped? Is it possible the second picture shows the guard after the aluminium was removed?

Since the patttern is different on either side is it possible these covers were homemade?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 16/12/2017 11:46:53
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2017 :  12:04:58  Show Profile
Sam,

Believe me, this is not about 'bling'! You only have to come round and look at the state of my rear wings to see how badly they get scuffed by stones, etc.

The second picture you refer to shows the wing with the stone guard still attached but your suggestion that they might have been home made is perhaps not far off the mark. From memory they were certainly fairly crudely made so perhaps my Dad made them himself!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1951 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2017 :  12:23:15  Show Profile
Sorry I haven’t a picture to hand but I seem to remember seeing some of these spats decorated with a ‘punched’ diamond pattern which looked rather good

but I still prefer the plain type myself.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2017 :  12:30:51  Show Profile
This is from a 1930s Derrington advertisement for accessories for MGs offering 'wing tip guards' for a J2 for 16/6d for 12" ones and 22/6d for 14" ones (plus postage at 6d!)

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2017 :  14:01:08  Show Profile
This is personal taste and I have stone chips too Simon but I would tend to favour a discrete solution because my instinct is that real "beauty when unadorned is adorned the most."

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2017 :  20:22:19  Show Profile
Sam,

You could well be right that the patterns in my photos may be different on each side. However the photos were taken thirty eight years apart and perhaps I've fallen into the trap that many of us have of assuming that something found on a car 45 or 50 years ago must be original. It may well be that the ribbed stone guards I found on the car were not the ones my Dad fitted to it and indeed the early photo wouldn't suggest a ribbed finish.

But each to his own. I do plan to try and get some fitted to avoid having to get my wings regularly repainted and if there is a source of off-the-peg ones that can easily be adapted to one's own wings I'd certainly be interested.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

thompson

United Kingdom
114 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2017 :  20:57:04  Show Profile
Although I am generally of the 'anti bling' school of taste I actually want them for my J2 as I think they look good and are a period touch. I make no apology for the fact that I am rather shallow...!
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2017 :  21:20:58  Show Profile
I think you can excuse yourself Tom by citing Simon's comment on regular re-painting of the wings.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000