Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Northumberland J2
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2013 :  10:20:56  Show Profile
As several others have been posting old photos, here is one of mine.

Sorry, I have no idea of the registration or chassis number. It was owned (pre-war I believe) by Harrison (Harry) Young, and this shows his wife Mollie. They lived in Monkseaton. Both long since dead, so no further info available.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2013 :  11:35:23  Show Profile
Hi Colin and all,

There is rightly a great interest in displaying 'general' pictures of our cars in past times!

We (Nick and I) are turning over in our minds the possibility of creating a new general pictures section on the website for period pictures of Triple-M cars in non-competitive situations.

The 'Historical' pictures area of the website is probably not the right place for these because, as I was reminded the other day, 'Historical' was originally designed to show our cars in competion in period (although that intention is not all that obvious)!

Please leave this with us.

Regards
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2013 :  13:36:46  Show Profile
I have a few pre war photos of pre war MGs which are not in competing mode.
Some have not been regognised by the club, ..so who knows, some one out there may be able to provide more information.
We could enter what is know about the photos, which may trigger someone's memory.

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2500 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2013 :  15:59:11  Show Profile
How about "Nostalgic" Dick?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3229 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2013 :  18:43:46  Show Profile
I would support Nostalgic

Strange extension to the rear mudguard.

George
L2023 and NA0960

Edited by - George Eagle on 25/01/2013 18:44:40
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2013 :  16:44:41  Show Profile
It might be a goldmine for originality buffs.
The club is a the most apt place for a library of Nostalgic photographs.
Where else.. Would they come home to roost?
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6013 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2013 :  17:00:27  Show Profile
George,

My Dad fitted similar spats to the rear wings of his J2 although they were fitted flush with the lower ege of the wing and didn't overhang it like the ones in the photo above. But they certainly served a useful purpose in stopping the lower front part of the rear wing from getting badly scuffed from stone chips. And as an extra benefit they protected the original green paint so that when Oliver Richardson and I pulled the spat off one of the original rear wings we found enough green paint to be able to match it pretty successfully.

You can see the spat clearly in this photo (with my aunt testing the strength of the J2 bonnet !) and it seems it be about the same size as the one above, but fitted much further up the wing - hence no overhang.

P.S. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 27/01/2013 17:01:31
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6013 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2013 :  17:44:29  Show Profile
On close examination of Colin's photo a number of things strike me.
  • The hood is clearly folded while still attached to the body with the tonneau cover fitted over it and the hood seems to be a different colour from the tonneau cover

• There's no sign of the flaps to cover the folded hood frame, but the way the frame is sticking out, and the way the tonneau cover seems to be folded back under itself would suggest that the flaps, if they are there, are folded back to prevent them flapping around. If they had fasteners at their lower end wouldn't they have been secured with them?

• Is the offside headlight missing?

• And doesn't the sidelight look as though the rim is more of a cylindrical section, like the headlight rim, than the usual rounded rim of the Lucas 1130? Rotax side lights anyone?

Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2013 :  10:31:21  Show Profile
Wow, Simon, do you have an "enhance" button on your computer like they have on CSI. You know, the one that turns a blurry mess into crisper detail than was ever there in the first place :-). Actually, the lack of a headlamp is pretty obvious now that you mention it - I had just never noticed.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6013 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2013 :  10:38:22  Show Profile
Nah, I was just using my Retina screen iPad

But that really is a lovely photo - very period. The fashion style of motoring ladies in the 30s was something else, wasn't it? Look at my aunt's natty sweater in the photo above! And I have another photo of her sporting an Eton crop just like Mollie Young.
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2013 :  19:28:11  Show Profile
Colin

Great pity we cannot see the number plate but I wiill make enquiries among the older Northumberland enthusiasts to see whether anyone remembers Harrison (Harry)Young or his car.

We have already traced about 7 J2s in the Northumberland/Tyneside/Durham area,but only mine is currently on the road although at least 2 others are in an advanced stage of restoration. It would be interesting if this car was one of the survivors.

My daughter lives in Monkseaton and I spent my first year at Newcastle University in digs at next door Whitley Bay. As this included the winter of 1962/3 it was more than a touch cold!

David

J 3355 in Alnwick
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  14:46:24  Show Profile
Colin, David

We bought my salonette (F0637, reg no 593) from someone in Whitley Bay in 1969. He had an MG problem, in that he would rescue any distressed MG he found, and he garaged them all over the north east, Mine was locked up for years in Darlington. He also owned the C Type MG1100 and you will notice that the register numbers of these two cars are close. There were rumours of many more MMM cars too...

Why am I writing all this? because I am trying to remember his name.... Brian Lyth... got it...

This was all a long time ago but it might be of interest as he quite possibly owned a J2 and if so it might have had a register number close to 590. Indeed he may still be alive so those of you up there might like to see if you can trace him... might even have a MMM still tucked away...

Cheers

P

Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  17:38:59  Show Profile
Some years ago we stayed at Bamburgh overnight with the PA, and were told of a stash of old cars nearby (I can't remember if it was in Bamburgh or a nearby village) which was rumoured to include a "6 cylinder MG", owned by some eccentric character who lived in/near Newcastle, but owned the derelict house where the cars were stored. The house we saw was a cottage which seemed to be clad with chicken wire and plaster (on the outside), and was completely overgrown with Russian Vine. There were some old cars in the garden, again disappearing under the vine, and a large garage. I was trying to have a peek into the garage when the next door neighbour threatened to call the police! I managed to calm him down by pointing to the MG and saying that I was simply interested in old cars, but he would not let me investigate further. Ring any bells?

Harry and Mollie Young were close friends of my father, and gave me the photo when I bought the PA. I didn't think at that time to enquire further. I can't tell much more about them, except that Harry was honorary French Consulate in Newcastle (1970s), and a keen Francophile.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  21:05:54  Show Profile
No, no bells but the story is very much in the mould. I wonder if this could have been his mother's house? I understand her front garden was full of more modern MGs at the time I was chasing the salonette but I do not know where she lived. It was 43 years ago, I was 25, he would have been about 45 and his mother 70?

The house in Darlington where I went to see the Salonette was big and Victorian with a garage that seemed to have been untouched for years. There was also there the C Type front wings and an L engine, and being a good boy I left them there!

I can only presume that Brian owned this house although he lived in Whitley Bay.. 130 Plessey Road? can't remember...

I think you had better go back to Bamburgh and have another look.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2013 :  22:01:54  Show Profile
Hi Guys
This seems to be my J2! ( J2338 SW4156 first registered Dumfries)
I was unaware of this thread till tonight, and will reply in the other recent thread where Colin has pasted the other two pictures of the car.

I have no record of the Monkseaton connection in the copy files from the factory.
I am fair buzzing about all this, as these are the first pictures I have seen of my car taken prior to my ownership in Belfast in 1966. It was living in Paisley in 1946.
The interesting wing details I will clarify in the other thread.
The car is active, about 6th in COTY last year.
I went for a burn this afternoon, as you do....

Brian
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2013 :  22:59:45  Show Profile
As one of the locals,I did try to follow all this up - but without success. However,I did discover a "6 cylinder MG" an N type near Morpeth and had a telephone conversation with the owner.It was on the road,known to the Register, and had been owned by the gentleman for many years and he did not seem in any way to fit Colin's description!

Plenty of hidden J2s and P types in the area,but Robin Hamblett has been advised of what we know and most are on the Register and several should be back on the road shortly.

However it is the big MG Corbridge Show in a fortnight and I will make further enquiries there. There are certainly people locally whose MG knowledge goes back to the 60s and 70s.

David

J 3355 in Alnwick,but up at a Show in the Borders today.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000