Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 The Return of the Vanman
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1485 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2018 :  11:08:11  Show Profile
Some of you might remember that my PA was cruelly attacked by a white van several years ago, just two days before Oliver Richardson was due to hand the car over to me. The resultant collision ended up with a crumpled radiator, two front springs bent upwards at right angles and three inches of toe-out. Well, the swine has got me again. I had been plug testing on The Broyle, east of Ringmer in Sussex and was returning home to Southwick. Driving up Downsway which is not a very wide road, despite being on a bus route and with parking allowed on one side of the road, effectively reducing the road to a single carriageway. My side of the road was clear, and I could see for a quarter of a mile ahead, when suddenly, without any warning, a van pulled out from the parked cars, and completely blocked the road when I was about two yards from him. I think that he was in one hell of a hurry and was attempting to do a three point turn. I had no chance to hit the brakes, let along make a lunge for the handbrake lever, but I was able to swerve violently to the left, before hitting the van. Miraculously, there does not seem to be any damage to the expensive bits such as radiator or headlamps, but I now once again have three inches of toe-out.

Does anyone know how many times a PA front axle can be straightened before it falls to pieces completely ?

Colin
(a.k.a "Pissed off of Southwick")

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 26/08/2018 11:10:53

William Cullen

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2018 :  11:56:59  Show Profile
Hello Colin

Sorry to hear about the damage to the car and glad to hear your unhurt.

Not sure with regards to your question relating to a second axle repair but I do have an axle which has been checked and straighten by Russ Truman, I was told that it had been cracked tested when I bought it some years ago but I can not confirm this, it does need king pin holes re bushing.

Should you feel it might be of some use to you please contact me off line.

Regards

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2143 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2018 :  14:09:34  Show Profile
Colin, sorry to hear of your bad luck. Can't answer your question.

Noting reference to Russ Truman's straightened axles, I have seen in the past in his workshop that he uses heat and gets them really glowing. MMM beam axles should not however be straightened with heat unless of course they are re-hardened.

There are now sadly lots of 'soft' MMM axles around.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6016 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2018 :  20:08:49  Show Profile
Lousy luck, Colin. My commiserations. Regarding straightening axles, however, this is what the factory had to say.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
691 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  08:09:44  Show Profile
Does anybody know what the original heat treatment was and what was the heat treatment applied by the factory after straightening to restore strength?

Gordon
ex owner of PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1485 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  09:59:25  Show Profile
Thank you for your kind offer Bill. My question about the number of times the axle can be straightened was very much "tongue in cheek" and much will depend on what the experts tell me after the cold straightening has been completed. If no cracks are detected I will be happy to re-use the existing axle, but if it is full of cracks, Plan B will be implemented. What Plan B comprises, I cannot reveal, as at the present time, I have no idea myself.

Anyway, thank you and all the other contributors for your kind thoughts.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000