Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Silencing again
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tony Dolton

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  18:14:54  Show Profile
Have now fitted the cherrybomb tail silencer to the J2.
Unfortunately rather than improve the silencing the car has now got a rather pleasant throaty roar, rumbling away on tickover.
Oh dear, sorry to have given poor advice.
Chatted to Mike Dowley about it and he has an example sitting on the shelf,same problem,didn't improve the silencing.
Our PB has one of S&V's M type silencers at the rear and that definitely improved things.

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  07:25:21  Show Profile
Tony . On my J2 , I opened up the Brooklands 'can' and fitted a perforated pipe to link the two ends, and stuffed the rest of the can with the fibreglass silencer wadding . At the rear of the system I fitted the 'Cherry Bomb'. I have never failed scrutineering noise tests , and am now at 105 decibels . The exhaust note is certainly sporty , but the 'crackle' has gone .
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
447 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  16:19:30  Show Profile
Hardly sporty but I fitted a Nissan Micra primary cyclone after the S&V silencer, a good fit and exhaust sounds good still without having to wear ear defenders! Simon C.

Go to Top of Page

cryrnr

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2018 :  19:42:56  Show Profile
Simon,

This looks very neat. Do you have the part number for the Micra silencer by any chance? I've 'Googled' but come up with numerous options and the linked diagrams aren't sufficiently clear to give me confidence that I've found the correct one!

Thanks,

Neil
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
447 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2018 :  14:36:15  Show Profile
Neil, yes, I was lucky to find that, purely on spec. The silencer is about 8" long, 6" across and 4" deep with stubs 1.5 and 1.75" dia. The ref number on it was DN 161/2. This is a stainless steel version made by a company now out of business but a friend "in the trade" cross referenced and said it was off a Micra from late 1980's.I can't right now find the info he sent. Might be worth a look. I had to move the main S&V unit back a bit towards the undertray to give a bit more room and avoid cutting any pipes. Simon C.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000