Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Post Turkey Puzzle.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  17:23:35  Show Profile
Well, Brian, we know where this photo is, and can name the ferry, but it's not the one we thought of from the B&W photo. Unless there is a strange cloud effect in the B&W one that makes the landscape look different, it's hard to see them as both being of the same area. Are both old and new photos taken from the same side of the crossing?

Colin

Crail, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  18:18:52  Show Profile
Second picture yes, yes, yes. Crossed this ferry 2012. However I believe the b&w image is elsewhere.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  20:50:41  Show Profile
Another sighting of the Loch Ness monster?

David

J 3355
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  21:39:28  Show Profile
Damn, now our secret is out. Well spotted, David.

Colin

Crail, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  22:25:55  Show Profile

Hey, nobody is perfect........
You guys are beginning to make me doubt myself.

The clue number one is looking to the east taken from the ferry.

Clue Two
below, is looking in a SWW direction taken from a position slightly north of the eastern dock.

I enjoyed Andrew's photo. Always interesting
to see black and white.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2018 :  22:41:12  Show Profile
Brian, it is quite possible you maybe mixing the location with one not many miles away, does the original photograph have a caption?

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2018 :  09:18:44  Show Profile
The two modern photos illustrate my favourite Scottish ferry, partly because few people know of it, but mainly because of the fantastic, challenging Triple-M roads on either side, particularly when driving west. There, that's an extra clue from me.

The B&W photo appears to have a low flat plain with a hill to the right, behind it. It's difficult to align that with the colour photos. Incidentally, the ferry boat pictured in your last clue used to be used in a more famous Scottish crossing, which was replaced by a bridge in 1975. That boat was designed by the Glasgow naval architects G L Watson, of whom my uncle was a partner. Not perhaps their most beautiful design, but a very practical early RoRo ferry.

Colin

Crail, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Ray White

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2018 :  22:56:02  Show Profile
I thought I knew the answer but I was clearly wrong.

Happy New Year all.

R. White
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2019 :  22:19:54  Show Profile

Here's the final clue.

It's showing further West than photo Number 2.

Brian. Happy New Year to you all.

Go to Top of Page

Ray White

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  13:29:48  Show Profile
Yes but no but yes but...I was right in that I recognised the craft if not quite the location.

R. White
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1552 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  14:48:49  Show Profile
Hi Brian,
Yes, I believe I know the ferry - sent you an email with my answer and my photo of the same.
Happy New Year to you and all.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2019 :  19:23:03  Show Profile

Yes, Bruce, correct. Thanks for the photo.

Colin and Richard, I now know that the original photo's location wasn't the place that I had imagined. Thanks for the correction.

I'm leaving either of you to announce the location of the ferry I took. Mainly because I now feel guilty of bringing the Gem to light.
As you say it's mainly unknown and a less travelled route. I'll leave it in your hands.

Brian. With pangs of guilt, in Kansas.

Photo of the scene when I arrived. 3 Healeys and an E-Type (Not pictured). May 2017.

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2501 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2019 :  23:16:14  Show Profile
Perhaps more important than the E Type, that looks like an XK120 or 140 behind the Porsche.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  02:56:18  Show Profile

Dave, you are correct. Sorry, It was an XK.

Model?

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2019 :  09:51:30  Show Profile
OK, so the colour photographs are of the Glenelg-Kylerhea ferry, which crosses from Glenelg on the mainland over the narrow sea passage known as Kyle Rhea, "over the sea to Skye". This ferry is north of the Mallaig-Armadale crossing, and south of the Kyle of Lochalsh-Kyleakin crossing, now replaced by a bridge. The Kyle Rhea ferry is reached by turning left off the A87 Skye road at Shiel Bridge, signposted to Glenelg. The first section of this single track road is an exciting, twisty, first & second gear hillclimb, one of the best Triple-M roads in Scotland, if you enjoy a challenge. Once you cross to Skye there is another long climb up from the sea. I believe the ferry is owned and operated by the local community. The ferry boat "Glenachulish" was originally built for the Ballachulish ferry crossing, which was replaced by a bridge in 1975.

As to the original B&W photo, I am at a loss. It is not the Ballachulish ferry. My best bet on the Scottish mainland and inner isles would be the Kylesku ferry (looking north), now also replaced by a bridge, but it would need there to be a rather unusual mist to create the long low look of the land on the opposite side. I have no knowledge of the ferries in the outer isles or the northern isles.

Does the original photo have any caption?

Thanks, Brian, for an intriguing few days!

Colin

Crail, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591

Edited by - Colin McLachlan on 05/01/2019 09:52:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: