Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 new fandango oil filter system ... but which type!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  09:51:34  Show Profile
In the process of rebuilding my D-type engine after a seizure; it make sense to avoid any future problems surrounding filters to adopt the fitting of a new external oil filter system.

So my request/want is to purchase (preferably) a complete new external filter system (to fit a M/D type engine block), perhaps one you bought but did not use.

There are to my knowledge 2 types, side-mounted and front mounted. I have a preference to the front mounted type due to it's lack of visibility but I am open minded. Each I am sure has it's pro's and con's but again I'd like to hear those arguments crystallized within this topic entry. Understanding what/if modifications may be needed is a factor too.
You have one to offer me? Yes I have put a request into S&V but no stock at moment.

Chris Blood
D-type Salonette D0407,
TC1472 TC2686 TC4245

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  12:49:06  Show Profile
Not at all invisible but has the advantage of being a bigger filter than some designs and more accessible. The aluminium base is easy to make on a lathe. The pump needs a 1/2" plate to accept a union instead of the original thin steel plate.I got the flexible hoses made by Flexolite. The head feed comes off the alloy base below the filter. The old oil head feed from the block is drilled out to accept the larger fittings (standard Wade) which is where the pipe from filter goes.The normal main engine feed is blocked in the front housing just above the pump. The sump to pump pipe is unchanged. Apart from changing from copper (which cracked) to flexible pipes it's been fine. Something like 70,000 miles but I've lost track.

Go to Top of Page

Gary K

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  13:47:27  Show Profile
Hi Chris
Try Bob Grunau in Canada. His Filter was the green one in my article, in the latest D Group Dispatch. Very well made.

Gary
North American MMM
Technical Coordinator
Go to Top of Page

cleydon

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  14:12:50  Show Profile
Is there some aversion to "Keeping to MG" and installing a K type filter?

Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  18:02:40  Show Profile
Chris,it depends on the car. There's only about 2 1/2" on an M Type between block and steering column. Don't know about Ds. How much does a K filter protrude?
Ian
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1027 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  18:08:06  Show Profile
It fit’s a D without any problem

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  18:17:25  Show Profile
I agree it's much more in keeping. But they weren't that easy to find in 1975!
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1027 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2019 :  18:22:45  Show Profile
If cheap and easy to find where high on my wish list I would ever have started with triple M’s

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  07:32:10  Show Profile
um, clearly putting a K-type mod in my D is never/not going to happen, I need something simple and as easy as possible to fit with the least amount of modification to the block ... a K-type isn't that ta

Chris Blood
D-type Salonette D0407,
TC1472 TC2686 TC4245
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2138 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  07:54:22  Show Profile
Nice photo Onno.I see you are using one of my blower gear covers and inverted!

For those contemplating fitting a K/L/J4 oil filter housing, subject to reasonable demand, I can run another batch of these . Castings in stock

Interest to be registered to me direct at rhardy@vintagemgparts.com

If it helps Chris, I have a spare Brian Fog one in Bronze (similar to the Barry Dean one but a little less chunky in cross section). I have just taken it off a J engine as I have have this week fitted another J4 setup to a standard J2 engine

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 07/06/2019 08:05:38
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  07:59:57  Show Profile
This is the Barry Dean oil filter adaptor which is very similar to the type Bob Grunau has in Canada. It fits on the end of the oil pump.

It is discrete and yet easy to get at. It uses a Renault Clio oil filter.

An example is fitted on this M-type.

Edited by - sam christie on 07/06/2019 08:35:55
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  08:40:22  Show Profile
Chris,

Since Rich Hardy is going to be able to offer the L/K filter I’d heartily recommend you get one of these. They can be fitted with minimal alterations to the block and to my mind just look right. Here’s my installation which shows the pipework involved to avoid having to drill into the oil gallery.

Not as elegant perhaps as drilling into the block to provide the feed from the filter but the only modification required to the block is to enlarge the hole for the oil gauge from 1/8 BSP to 1/4 BSP and use a 1/4 to 3/8 BSP adapter, drilled through to prove the full flow of the 3/8” pipe. No other modifications necessary other than a new lid for the oil pump with a union to connect to the supply pipe and like all these filter systems the oil delivery hole in the pump is blocked.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  11:07:54  Show Profile
So how much do they stick out from the block?
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  11:27:50  Show Profile
Hi All filter fitters...
which ever system you decide to use fit 3/8" dia. tube... and steel unions which can be drilled out.... so as not to restrict flow.
Also best to put a steel plate between any light alloy filter body that bolts directly to the pump... have seen serious wear. Bronze castings should be ok as some self lubrication properties in the metal.
M-type.... steering column angle past the block often means the filter body (modern and original) needs to be further back than on the J etc types.
I still have enough parts to make a couple of the modern systems fitted to the side of the block.
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  11:35:50  Show Profile
There's quite a variety of remote filter kits available now for racing cars,kit cars,specials,etc. similar to my setup. Ideal if you are restricted for space.
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1027 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2019 :  12:34:44  Show Profile
@Rich
The filter cover is yours as well, housing is an original L one but the lid was no where to be found

@Chris
I did not go through the trouble of machining the side of the block and drilling in to the oil gallery.
oil from the filer is supplied to the rear union and feeds the rear main and gallery from there.
Saves a lot of work but do remember to plug the hole in the filter mounting flange ;)

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000