Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Any whereabouts known of J2 , Reg UG 6762
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2143 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2019 :  22:41:19  Show Profile
I have recently finally picked up a rocker box ID plate up from the dad of a friend who offered it to me 20 years ago!

He use to own this car from 1957 to 1961 an in the Hull area. The plate is mounted on a wooden plaque with the details of the car written on the back. It appears however that the ID plate (long style) is actually from a J1 so may have been a replacement on the J2 engine.

Does anyone know if this car survived. No chassis number details sadly

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 17/09/2019 22:42:38

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2019 :  23:25:24  Show Profile
Richard,

UG 6762 was the original Registration Number for J4189. The car is known to the Register and if you look at the Pictures - Members Cars section of this website you will see a couple of pictures of it.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2143 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2019 :  23:16:56  Show Profile
That's amazing Peter it survived

I will contact you off line

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

nick westbrook

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2019 :  18:46:45  Show Profile
Hi Richard
UG 6762 Survives and runs! My boys and I acquired the car about 2 years ago with a Ford engine so this explains how you have the original engine plate.
The car has a pre-war competition history with J L Pemberton with a photo in The Sports Car 7/1935. We have the history from 1965 with the continuation logbook. Interestingly it spent some 40 years in the ownership of Norman Tyson a US Fighter pilot who used the car here in the UK then took it to Germany before taking it 'home' to New York. The car is largely original, now running again but scheduled for a repaint and trim.
It is a stable mate to our other J2 reg JB 877 (J2118) the ex Adrian Squire (Squire Motors) demonstrator that must have a very interesting early history that I've never been able to uncover.
It was used by the business who had the MG Agency in Henley on Thames for 6 months so its likely to have been used by Squire, Jock Mambey-Colgrave - a director (before he bought and raced the K3 that was run by the SM Team and subsequently passed to Bill Cotton).
The Squire / MG connection is very interesting as an ex employee who helped design the C Type chassis and was a close friend of Cecil Kimber. Read more in Jonathan Palmers excellent book on Squire.
Any info on JB 877 will be much appreciated.
Nick Westbrook
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2143 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2019 :  16:49:25  Show Profile
Many thanks Nick, very interesting. I will contact you offline

Regards

Richard

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic