Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Owner and provenance research
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TCTom

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2020 :  21:19:30  Show Profile
The restoration of my 11 MMMs requires me to have some help if I am to complete the project within a logical time frame. Some things I need to hire done.

One of them is assembling a more thorough history of these cars, starting with what I already have. Someone who is really good at this can do it faster and better than me, and I'm happy to pay to have it done.

Anyone know of a person they could recommend for this project? There are 11 MMMs, 3 TCs, and a VA; most if not all spent their ownership days in the UK until they came to me.

Thanks,

Tom Wilson
Zionsville, IN USA

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2020 :  21:42:56  Show Profile
Hello Tom. What an interesting question! I’m certainly not looking for more work, but were are you thinking of researching outside and beyond the info that is currently available from the MG Car Co factory service files (now in the MGCC archives at Kimber House) and the Register’s own records and knowledge about your cars? There are certainly many external agencies including the kithead trust as well as some of the old (and rapidly dwindling records) of the various local authority admin offices around the country.I can’t immediately recall whether any of your cars saw service outside the UK? If so you would need an even bigger net to trawl with!

It would be interesting to know the scope of the research you are aiming for.

Best regards

Edited by - DickMorbey on 24/01/2020 21:18:47
Go to Top of Page

TCTom

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  02:58:15  Show Profile
Thanks for replying, Dick. I already have all the information available from the MGCC archives and some older log books on some of the cars. The project is to delve deeper to see if a more extensive ownership history can be compiled, then see if any more information can be learned about those owners and their adventures with the MGs. I have some pretty good provenance on one of the J2s already, and it seems to be quite a story.

Ownership history is always an interesting part of these cars - as Chris has enthusiastically shared with his J2 project - and one that I learned with one of my TCs, chassis TC0273. The story in brief (or not so brief):

I owned TC0272, and in 2000 through a chance encounter on the MG Owners Club website came across the owner of TC0273. It was brought to the States in 1971 by a US Air Force chap being reassigned from Britain to the USA. He never registered or drove it here in the USA except for driving it from the NY City port to his Missouri station, and it changed owners in 1980. That owner disassembled the car, stored the chassis in his garage (under a long door TR2!), and the rest of the bits went under his house in a damp crawl space. There it stayed until I purchased it in 2002.

During the restoration of 273 I tried to track down the Air Force chap who brought the TC here, and ran into a couple walls. Turned out he was in military intelligence - the "black ops" sort - and was supposed to be anonymous. I was able to finally reach him 2 weeks after he retired, and now have some good stories about him and the TC whilst in England. The article I wrote on all this was titled "Rescuing TC0273 from the Dungeons of Sedalia Missouri".

So I had TC0272, TC0273, then TC0279 came into my possession from my good friend Digby Elliott. At the Beaulieu auction this fall was TC0274, and boy was it tempting! Before the auction I examined the TC, it's paperwork file, and determined all the money spent to recommission it for auction was wasted. Then I enjoyed sitting through the auction (who wouldn't enjoy sitting for a while after a long day at Beaulieu) until it came up on the block. Bidding quickly drove the price well above the reasonable value I was willing to pay. Later on, arriving late at our Saturday evening group dinner (an annual event for many of us) I was greeted with a rousing "Do you have good news for us?" The answer was a big grin and "Yes - I didn't buy it!"
It would've been neat to have so many of the early TCs together - though I'd have to get TC0272 back, as it's out on "permanent loan."

Tom Wilson
Zionsville, IN USA
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3221 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  02:58:55  Show Profile
Tom,

I have access to all of the information the NAMMMR holds and much of the information available to the model registrars. I am happy to research and share (what I am allowed to). Email me with your needs and wants and I'll try to help.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  05:58:22  Show Profile
Good Morning Tom, I would like to assist you as best I can, bearing in mind I live in Cyprus for much of the year. I am a visitor to the British Library in London, near St. Pancras Railway Station for research, usually a couple of times a year.They hold records from newspapers etc. , that’s where I found the archived photograph of J4129 in the ditch overturned. When you visited the workshop of Ian, the antique furniture restorer and viewed J4129, I am pleased to report that the original ash frame and ancillary panels, trim etc are finished and J4129 now looks like a , ‘barn find ‘ J2 , yet we have replaced the wordwormy delaminated ply and frame and retained the top surfaces with all its imperfections and marks. I intend to keep J4129 as a historic record, interesting to see the actual heel marks from Dudley Cottingham and later drivers still evidenced in the floor. I have also spotted the very faint marking of the number ‘ 30 ‘ on the radiator grille mesh, maybe the last trial ? Good luck Tom.

Chris

J2353
J4129

Edited by - MG Maverick on 24/01/2020 06:00:13
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  17:49:34  Show Profile
Tom, send me a pm with your J2(s?) Chassis numbers & I'll let you know what I've got. MBH trawled through all the pre-war publications & other resources to compile what there was. Much was never published, but still filed away (mostly UK data). JMH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000