Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Dog Bone repairs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dade

United Kingdom
503 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  10:51:36  Show Profile
Recently I had the good fortune to track down an original Dog Bone petrol cap for my P type after a trial fit it was obvious that the internal spring was not strong enough and the cap was a very loose fit.

I asked the question on the Forum "Has any one repaired a Dog Bone cap"? without success, so I contacted Vintage MG Parts knowing that they supplied kits of internal components for these caps, Richard Hardy confirmed by email that his components would probably fit my cap and for a small fee he would fit them for me, bearing in mind that a jig and an adapted press is required to fit the inner spun brass spring retainer.

I arranged the re chroming of the cap and Richard fitted the new internals. My original worn and tatty cap now looks as new and fits tightly.

The reason that I make this posting is to draw members attention to the fact that these components are available and can be utilised to fit original Dog Bone caps, as I suspect that there must be plenty of 80 year old Dog Bones that have weak springs and do not fit tightly.

Please note that I have no connection with Vintage MG Parts other than being a satisfied customer.

Russ
PB0333

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  10:58:09  Show Profile
Hello Russ, glad to hear that there was a happy ending to this story!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6011 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  12:29:31  Show Profile
I see Rich is now offering 'doggone' caps - https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17111

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 24/01/2020 12:30:08
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1888 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  13:52:13  Show Profile

I have just been looking at the narrative within the VMGP web page: http://www.vintagemgparts.com/dog_bone_filler_caps_-_early.html and I am a little confused.

The dogbone on the left of my picture, which I believe to be an original, is as is described as the original MG design. The one on the right, I know to be a reproduction, but is very like the original one shown at the top this thread.

Were both designs original but the stepped one is an early version and the flat topped later?

P.S. I thought PB's had a completely different design that swings open rather than twists off. I think Andy King once did them.

Edited by - coracle on 24/01/2020 13:59:14
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
463 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  14:23:53  Show Profile
factory pic.

I also thought stepped was original.

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6011 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  14:31:14  Show Profile
Non factory pic

Stepped design.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1888 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  17:09:57  Show Profile

A PB filler cap.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2143 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  18:44:16  Show Profile
Thanks Russ for the nice feedback, appreciated

The early J and PA filler caps were the stepped type. There were of course other companies making caps but not the stepped type. The stepped type was a two part body, part metal spun, part casting, the non-step was a one piece casting.It may be that the factory switched to a more simpler and cheaper cap for the late production run P and N types etc..

The one piece cap is the easy one to reproduce. The stepped one is labour intensive to get right.

The PB had the octagonal lever type cap which attached to the neck via a bayonet fitting

On the stepped ones, I incorporate a loop eye at the base of the smaller brass cone so enthusiasts have the option to attach a chain and t-bar to prevent the cap from popping off. The new caps will not pop off on their own, only if the neck bayonet o the tank is not as crisp as it once was.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 24/01/2020 18:53:14
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6011 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  21:01:15  Show Profile
Rich,

I think to say 'early J and PA' is misleading. Probably better simply to say 'J and P' as I don’t think there is any evidence to suggest that the filler caps of late Js (whatever that might mean) were different to those of early Js and PAs. This topic was discussed at some length a few years ago - see https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=8431&SearchTerms=J,petrol,cap

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2143 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  21:53:22  Show Profile
Ok Simon, J and early P, possibly to include late PA may be more accurate grammar

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 24/01/2020 21:54:13
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6011 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2020 :  22:05:46  Show Profile
This picture of a seemingly very original PA (which I think is PA1964 out of 2250 so near the last of the PAs) clearly shows an unstepped cap

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 24/01/2020 22:06:25
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2020 :  14:03:37  Show Profile
My PA 0613 has an unstepped cap, and one owner family from 1937 till me, so a good chance it is original.

Colin

Crail, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000