Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Christmas Present
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  12:52:55  Show Profile
All is not as it seems in the clip. As always the deeper you go the more interesting it gets...
The film plot lets you believe that the car chase takes place in the UK. It starts off in the centre of London (but the landmarks in shot are inconclusive). Almost certainly, the J2 has different regestration numbers front & rear! If you have a close relative who's really into J2s they'll have the complete film, which shows more than you-tube. Dad's previous assumption was that the car was University Motors supplied as it had lots of their bolt on goodies - are they really Q drums, or the fake covers you could get to make your J2 look a bit more macho? If the car shown with the Royal Scot & the one used in the film are one & the same, how could the car have had Q drums in 1933?
The cars reg in the film looks like LC2620 (front) & L*1*47 (rear), I can't be sure as Dads copy is VHS, which wobbles like a jelly when you try to freeze it.
There was a J2 (J3128) in California in 33/34 then owned by a Mr L Roos that is known to have been used for other film work. I guess watching the film credits might throw a light onto the US/UK location bit.
JH
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  13:34:18  Show Profile
The London scenes are clearly shot in Hollywood with a back screen projection of London. In those days, location filming was really rare. The film is really worth watching. Still would like id on Ginger's car.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  15:18:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by leckstein
Still would like id on Ginger's car.

Mike L

Looks like a Duesenberg to me - but I'm sure someone over the pond will give a more positive id...
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Mike Linward

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  17:14:41  Show Profile
The Gay Divorcee was an RKO Radio Picture production and, as has already been stated, was released on 12th October 1934. The normal procedure for all the Astaire/Rogers films was that the dance sequences were the last to be recorded and could take anything up to three months to produce, so the bulk of the film would have been made between February 1934, when the film rights were purchased, and July/August and this would have included the driving scenes. RKO were never flush with money so none of the film would have been shot in the UK. Back projection and made-up sets being the order of the day. Almost certainly the production company would not have bought either of the cars Astaire or Rogers drove but borrowed them from someone who was known to the props department and that could have been another actor or someone working for the company or any other film studio come to that. There were many English actors and technicians in Hollywood at the time and they could easily have bought an MG over with them from England. When I last looked at the film, the brake drums did not look very realistic and could easily have had covers put over them to make them more impressive. IÆm sure they are not Q type or even the standard 12ö drums fitted to J4s etc. I have often wondered where this car came from and from the pictures produced here, it certainly looks as if this could have been the one used in the film.

Regards,

Mike
Go to Top of Page

taterry

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  03:02:22  Show Profile
My own NA0613 was used in a Hollywood movie circa 1937, Bulldog Drummond in Africa,now available on DVD. Thanks to Brian Kelly here, we now have proof the car came over in early 1935. Terry in Oakland,CA
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  21:32:33  Show Profile
A bit of info from Dad:
There were only 3 J2s recorded as being imported to US by 1934. One was swept wing, one two-tone & then J3128 (L Roos in Burbank, California - just down the road from Hollywood). It adds weight to the theory that the car in the Royal Scott, subsequent photos & Rogers/Astaire film are the same car & that it's J3128.

Getting further off topic - does anybody in the US know which J2 was used in the 1980s film "Ferris Bulers Day Off" (might have spelt that wrong)? He has the choice of his Dad's cars to joy-ride & picks the Ferrari over the J2 - no taste at all!

JH
Go to Top of Page

bob

United Kingdom
334 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  15:51:01  Show Profile
The Ferrari, believe it or not was an MG!
It was in fact a modified MGB made to look like a Ferrari!
Have to agree with you though, should have taken the J2.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  18:48:00  Show Profile

Happy New Year to everyone!

Thanks to Jeremy for pinpointing my mistake/dumbness about the "Q" brakes. My name is only an anagram of brain.

I feel a need to exonerate Chris Nowlan's quote, as of the time he wrote it the period of the photo wasn't established. Initially it was suggested to be 1969 but this was due to a mix-up between the Royal Scot and The Flying Scotsman, which visited the USA also on a promotional tour, in '69.

As to the plates shown in the movie, these would have been bogus studio plates. I've not seen the movie, only read a few synopses. The complete film is set in England and they would have not wanted to film California plates. The only American character, I believe, is that played by Ginger. Fred portraying an Englishman would have been driving a UK registered car. With a dash board that is portrayed in the film and that of the photo surely it's the same car. What would you suggest the item on the dash situated between the Clock and the Speedo to be?

Full marks to Graham, A 1929 Dussenburg J. Chassis 180. Here's a photo of the same car. Body made by W.H. Murphy. Pasadena, California.

Last year I drove the PA over to Auburn, Indiana for a GoF meet. This, for those who wouldn't know, is the home of the Auburn-Cord-Dussenburg company. Oh-Boy. Not only did we tour the museum, which is the original Showroom-Administration building but we had the banquet there also which gave us more time to mingle with the opulence.

Photo shows Dan Skockey's PA outside the building.

Check out Jay Leno's video clips.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/duesenberg/

All the best for the New Year.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  20:50:56  Show Profile
Brian, great photos. Yes it appears it is a Dussenberg. Truly sad if you have never seen the film. It is a gem. One thing, although set in London and Brighton, I beleve all the characters are Americans with the exception of Guy's friend the soliciter, played by Edward Everett Horton. Not only are Astaire and Rogers Americans (Guy and Mimi) but you have Aunt Hortense as well. Don't miss the future number one American pin up girl of WW2, Betty Grable, who appears briefly in the movie.

Top Hat, set in London and Venice has almost the same plot and actors, but sadly, no MGs. It does have unbelievable music by Irving Berlin. Really, see the movie, see them both.

Happy New Year everyone, Hope everyone has a wonderful "Night and Day" and that they danced in the New Year "Cheek to Cheek"

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1485 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  10:38:24  Show Profile
Whenever I think of Fred Astaire, it brings a smile t my face to recall the remarks alleged to have been made by an unknown Casting Director after one of Astaire's early auditions - "Can't act, can't sing but can dance a little !

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Grunau

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  02:24:45  Show Profile
I read with interest this discussion re J3128, owned originally by Mr. Roos In California. I understand the car ended up in a wrecking yard in Mexico and was pated out. Some parts were salvaged and returned to LA area. I bought several parts from J3128 including radiator and shell and complete numbered bonnet with "J3128 R " stamped into the hinge. I have been collecting parts for a J Special and the radiator and bonnet will live again.
Bob Grunau, Canada
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  21:23:54  Show Profile
Bob,
Thanks for that bit of info. Canada is a very long way from Mexico, the bits must have had an interesting journey. Any ideas when the car car was finally broken up?

Regards

Jeremy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000