Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Windscreen screws
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  21:04:49  Show Profile
As i never seen any for sale I am assuming most people just use what BA screws they have to fix the windscreen to the uprights ... but I wondered if there was a more standard or appropriate sized, length and shape (domed, cut, countersunk ...) to these. They always appear to be under a considerable load or pressure even though there is little thread to screw too, therefore I wondered if generally people do use (when they can) a locking nut. Of course this can create the problem as it gets close to the glass so reshaping must take place.
In principle all the MMM windscreens tend to be simiarly put together so hopefully I can get some guidance & clarification gents, cheers

Chris Blood (D0407, D0430 & F0753)

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  02:09:45  Show Profile
Totally assemble the frame without the glass or packing rubber. Then grind off the screws so they are flush to the inside in as many places as possible. Lucky you if you have 2BA screws in abundance. On the left side of the pond, we use 10-32 screws - readily availble and a very close match to 2BA. I find that in most places the length is not a problem. As long as they go in and are flush with the inside of the frame, they are strong enough. There in no extra strength to be gained by making them overly long.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

taterry

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  03:53:51  Show Profile
Are not the screws on MMM windscreens the same as T type?
I'm pretty sure that is what I used on my NA.
Terry
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  11:38:54  Show Profile
Moss sell sets of correct windscreen screws etc. Rich
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  12:00:00  Show Profile
My J2 windscreen has thin tapped internal fillets so that the windscreen screws go right through the side of the frames and screw into these fillets,giving a clamping effect as well as having a longer screw length.The screws end flush with the inner face of the fillets,and so can cause no damage to the glass. Possibly this arrangement was necessitated by poor threads on the screen,but because the fillets are,in effect,an additional strengthener,they do make for a very rigid screen.They are just shorter than the side height of the screen an about 1/8th inch thick.

As for the screws,the ones that were in were chrome plated slotted countersunk 2BA. However,I also own a Triumph TR3A and I found that the screws that do exactly the same job on the TR screen are also 2BA and also chrome plated slotted countersunk but with slightly domed heads which give a nice finish.They are too long and come in 2 different lenghts,and so have to be cut down.They are available from Moss,and the shorter one is part no. 552662 and the longer (and cheaper!) one is part no. CD31441.

David R
(J 3355)
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  16:09:51  Show Profile
Chris you'll find that http://www.namrick.co.uk are very helpful for all classic car fastenings & they do chrome 2BA raised countersunk slotted screws, which are what you want, in steps from 3/8 inch up to 1 inch.

ATB,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  16:56:50  Show Profile
Cheers gents I think that has helped me confirm what I need and choices to how to get them and how to get it set up too... so a result I say.

Additionally does anyone know what the exact thickness of the laminated glass should be?

Edited by - bloodysalmon on 08/10/2010 16:59:25
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  19:28:43  Show Profile
Chris,

I tend to get my stainless steel nuts & bolts from: Mike Peters 01636636735. I just telephone him and the fasteners I need usually come the following day. I obtained the 2 BA brass countersunk screws for the windscreen from Mike. I have also obtained raise countersunk and other specials from him. He does attend the large Autojumbles and should be at Stoneligh at the end of this month. He does not take all of this imperial stock to shows so I pre-order sometimes to save on the postage. He is up your part of the country

NICK YOU MAY WANT TO PUT HIM ON THE SUPPLIERS LIST……. Terry
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  21:01:50  Show Profile
Terry you are spot on about Mike, he does live only 10 miles away... because I've been to his house !!! Now I know what I want I'll give him a ring ... he's always at the Newark & Notts Autojumble too. So thanks again for the re-heads-up on Mike ... here is his web page http://www.polished-stainless.com/

Edited by - bloodysalmon on 08/10/2010 21:02:50
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  22:30:45  Show Profile
Each of the various screws in the windscreen can and often does vary in length, so my advice about assembling the frame and trimming to length, still applies.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  23:34:57  Show Profile
Thank you Terry, Mike added.
Nick

Experiment is a poor substitute for experience.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000