Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Oil for the coming season?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tholden

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2006 :  20:26:13  Show Profile
Thanks Peter and John for the info. I will pull out the details and convert - it must make sense.

Terry Holden
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2006 :  21:05:29  Show Profile
`For some reason I dont have a 91 year book which might explain why I had not seen the article ! Can anyone send me a photocopy or scan and E mail pages 14 and 15 ? 01243 573580 for address. Thanks.

Terry Holden
Go to Top of Page

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2006 :  21:35:51  Show Profile
Terry,

My Amilcar CS is alive and well, thank you. For the last 7 years she enjoyed 10W40, 5W40, 15W40, 15W50, 20W50 of various brands and off-the-shelf availability. Do I forget any ? Oh, yes, an exotic and very expensive low dispersion 60 (was it Penrite or Sheshley, I don't remember). No significant changes at all, the car was running well : 90 kph with 25 cv, and did not run better. Yes, splash lubrication is tolerant, we know, but I have never found a trace of sludge or anything, anytime. By the way, oil in my cars are all drained and filled with new in March.

My J2 will be fitted with a full flow throw-away oil filter (by the way, Peter, the new crankshaft is a nice piece !) and I shall use a standard semi-synthetic, 20w50 or 15W50, or 10W40, whatever will be available. I don't want to spend my precious time looking for oils !

Now, what I really think is that there is a lot of marketing gimmicks on this issue, and lots of money to be made. Just think of the discussion on unleaded fuel. Am I mixing things ? I don't think so. Our pre-war cars were designed to run on poor quality unleaded fuel and poor quality oils, and they ran very well. What we can buy cheap and easy at the store next door is champagne to them.

I shall be glad to read contradiction, of course !

Christian Cottes
Go to Top of Page

KevinH

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2006 :  21:47:25  Show Profile
Terry,

I've just copied the pages, and will email them to you shortly.

Regards,

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2006 :  00:03:18  Show Profile
Got the copy pages - thanks Kevin.

Terry Holden
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2006 :  00:50:39  Show Profile
Terry,

I personally think the adaptor flange as described by Kimber (PA oil filter topic May 2004) is better than the one described in the 1991 Yearbook, but they both do the same job. Another point that no one has mentioned is that the same conversion works in the K/L filter housing as well as the P/N

I have not responded to the oil topic because I use a straight 40 oil (Castrol R 40) in the K3 and a multigrade (Castrol GTX) in the NE, two completly different oils but both cars get used on road and track.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

captainlegless

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2006 :  10:46:32  Show Profile
Just checked my garage and I use a mixture of oils - Castrol, Total (Special Offer through MGCC) & Halfords,(although all 15-40). I think I just buy the cheapest. 20,000 miles since rebuild, running on Bonny rods with shells, still with original type washable filter. I use lots of revs all the time, change the oil when I feel like it, still have 85psi hot and oil and sump stay very clean.

Not very purist am I!

Colin Wallace
Go to Top of Page

Alex

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2006 :  06:59:25  Show Profile
Just read through all the above advice, and decided on a straight 40 (with modern additives, but no detergents - I'm running the original filter) and a non-EP 140 for the gearbox. Miller's man at the Newark autojumble had exactly the same reccommendation, so I bought it... time will tell! I'll blame you folk if my engine pops

Regards,

Alex
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3230 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2006 :  19:13:13  Show Profile
I have now covered some miles since changing the oil from Duckhams Q20-50 to Valvoline.

When starting up after the car had stood for a week or more I notice the now engine runs more quietly during the first few seconds whilst the oil pressure rises and the oil starts to circulate round the bearing etc.

George

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Stringfield

PA 0603 has just come back from its first run of 2006, following some attention to its waterworks and the installation of a water-pump, as fitted when new .
Asked for oil information, ( all brands changed since my last MMM!) a very expert professional said 'Use only Valvoline 20/50'. Another two, said to be equally expert, said 'Use straight 50 in summer' and ' 20/50 if you have a newish engine, straight oil otherwise'.
The engine has 30 to 75 psi on 40grade, depending on revs and temperature, and runs well, but is not a recent rebuild.
Comments and advice appreciated.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000