Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Northumberland J2
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6025 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2013 :  23:21:33  Show Profile
It's clear that J2338 is the same car as shown in the other thread that Colin started - Old Photos of SW 4156 http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6767

But are we sure that this is the same car as shown at the top of this thread as there doesn't seem to be any identification of its reg number or chassis number?
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  07:58:21  Show Profile
Hello all you Northumbrians!

The most active Triple-M owner of the thirties was probably Miss K.Taylor, who had the P-type BBB225 almost to the start of the war. The car was supercharged and ran in many trials and speed events. Miss Taylor lived at Wark, but she fell into disfavour for her out=spoken support of Oswald Mosley, and, even worse, Adolf Hitler.

The main suppliers of MG's in the North-East were Frank Scott in Newcastle, and Fred Dixon (better known for his Riley and motor-cycle activities) operated from Middlesborough.

Post-war, as the Register got started in the sixties we had a number of enthusiasts in the North, including Brian Lyth, who did indeed live at Monkseaton. Richard and Rosemary Burke, with their early M-type, were in that area when I first knew them, and they introduced me to Ian (Jim) Flint, who had the ex-Thatcher ND. Mike Waggot was just over the border in East Lothian. I remember attending a meeting somewhere in the Ponteland area where there were quite a few vintage car enthusiasts... you are not alone chaps, and never were!!

My connection? My mother was a Jarrow girl, who came to London in search of work, and married my father, but I still enjoy the NE, and even have a few family connections still, there. I spent a couple of years "up" there during the war, and my first school were at Rowlands Gill, and then Jarrow, as I spent time in the care of aunts.

Enough of my ramblings,

All the best,

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  15:52:30  Show Profile
When I first posted this photo, I had failed to notice the similarity between it and SW4156. The two photographs came into my hands from totally unconnected sources, and it is simply a coincidence that I have them both. I've tried hard to see any further clues to connect the two, but failed. Obviously, SW4156 has a bonnet strap, but that proves nothing. Looking through the front wheel on this car, it seems to me that the wing spats don't come as far forward at the bottom as they do on SW4156. It seems possible that (looking at the print I have)the headlamps are chromed on SW4156. If Brian emails me an address, I'll post a couple of prints of his car to him. They were printed up about 20 years ago, copied from original prints.

For further local research, the Youngs' daughter, with whom I have lost touch, would now be around 64, and I believe her married name is Gillian Featonby, and that her husband has a connection with the eponymous local auctioneers.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6025 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  17:09:23  Show Profile
Colin,

I'd have to say (using my special CSI computer!) that I wouldn't share your view that the car at the top of this thread has spats on the front wings. And the only similarity that I can see between this car and SW4156 (other than that they're both J2s obviously!) are the spats on the rear wings, and these were obviously a fairly common addition as even my car from rural Northern Ireland had them. I reckon they're two different cars
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6025 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  22:39:22  Show Profile
Hmm...when I use my CSI tricks (!) and enlarge the photo at the top of the thread it would indeed seem that the front wings have spats, but they are certainly different to the ones on SW4156 which extend almost to the front edge of the wing. These ones seem to finish some four inches or so from the front of the wing.

So I still reckon they are two different cars.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2143 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  23:47:30  Show Profile
Colin

This first photo appears to be a very early J type as looks line it has the very early type windscreen looking at the supports.

Mind you, Simon is the master on the macro button.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 24/06/2013 23:48:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000