Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Hugh Hamilton
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

John Brinkmann

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  17:49:23  Show Profile
This topic might be a good place to repost a link to the film of Hamilton vs Nuvolari in the 1933 Ulster TT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pnGtPAdsuM
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  10:29:16  Show Profile
It would be nice if we could establish beyond doubt, the name of Hammy's riding mechanic in the 1933 TT. I thought that I read somewhere, that it was Dan Higgin, but I tend to doubt this. Higgin was another Ulsterman who was an experienced racer in his own right. It has been suggested that the riding mechanic was a family friend of the Hamiltons who thought that he was simply needed to turn up, hold on tight and enjoy the ride in the sunshine. In fact when he discovered too late that it also involved tightening wheel spinnners, refuelling etc. etc. under intense pressure (from Hammy if from no one else) it all proved too much for him. That doesn't fit the Dan Higgin profile at all. The pit mechanic allocated by Abingdon was Nobby Marney, and he was one of the most experienced and professional of the Comps Department mechanics. So - what was the name of "Mr X" ?

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2013 :  15:39:50  Show Profile
And wouldn't it be nicer still if we could have this whole splendid story accumulated into one big piece for a future Yearbook?

Cat
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  22:33:23  Show Profile
Two obituaries for Hammy, showing just how highly he was thought of. The first is from the Daily Express and appeared on the front page, the second from the Yorkshire Post - also on the main news page (page 9!)

Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  02:44:32  Show Profile
More Hamilton Lore
While recuperating from his accident at the Masaryk GP, Hamilton went to India. The story of his tiger hunt is related here, tongue-in-cheek, in a poor copy from Autocar of the period.

Coincidentally, the MGs mentioned in the entry which follows the story are Enid Riddell's K3008, which Hamilton raced at Mannin Beg, 1933, and Countess Moy's J3752, which she purchased from Hamilton.

Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2013 :  01:22:46  Show Profile
Just to cover the discussion on Dan Higgin. The mechanic in the 1933 Ulster Tourist trophy photograph is definitely not Dan Higgin according to a family member who has seen the picture.

Also, Dan Higgin was a quite experienced driver and it is hard to imagine that he could have made such a hash of the pitstop. The search goes for on Hugh Hamilton's mechanic at the 1933 Ulster TT!

Graeme
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  20:27:51  Show Profile
Nice picture I hadn't seen before, from the Italian Cinecitta archives:

Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2013 :  00:46:16  Show Profile

What is the odd appendage protruding from Hammy's radiator cap?

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2013 :  11:39:53  Show Profile
and what are inside the radiator cowl?

P
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2013 :  11:52:31  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by John Brinkmann

What is the odd appendage protruding from Hammy's radiator cap?

As it appears to be different in each picture I would say its a child's doll. It looks to me a bit like a soldier in the first pic.

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2013 :  14:34:32  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page

MG Perth

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  07:20:44  Show Profile
Getting back to Hammy Hamilton's riding mechanic in the 1933 TT. The Higgin family say it was not Dan Higgin and it makes sense because he was too good a driver to be pushed around by Hamilton. Perhaps it was Oscar Paterson? He was Goldie Gardner's mechanic and Goldie Gardner had given away TT racing since his crash. he could have been available.

Graeme
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2013 :  12:21:13  Show Profile
Graeme,

I am glad that the name of Dan Higgin can be eliminated, and another "possible", Bobby Galbraith has also been crossed off the list. The name of Oscar Paterson has been suggested from elsewhere, and as Goldie Gardner was Hamilton's Team Manager for the 1933 Race, this brings Paterson closer into the viewfinder. We have a very good photograph of the mystery mechanic sitting with Hamilton after the 1933 race, and need a similar good photograph of Paterson in the 1932 race to compare the two. Anyone got access to such a photograph please ?

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2013 :  18:06:46  Show Profile
Hi Colin,

The bloke in white cap and overalls in between the lady and who I'm guessing is Bill Little (Or is Little the one working on C0253??), is Oscar Paterson. Looks nothing like the chappy who is seated next to Hammy in the J4, I'm afraid ...

Cheers,
Cat

Just noticed there's a picture showing Mr Paterson on page 1 of this thread!

Edited by - Cathelijne on 12/10/2013 18:10:54
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2013 :  19:51:26  Show Profile
Is it me or does the "guy" in the white overalls look more like a lady??!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000