Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 1931 M Type? for auction
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KJ1592

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2017 :  10:46:41  Show Profile
There is what appears to be a 1931 M type coming up for auction in Devon. Registration is OSJ 696, no chassis number shown.

Here is a link to the website.

http://www.ottervaleclassiccarauction.co.uk/home/index.html

Description is very vague. I have no connection with the car or auctioneer but it may be of interest to some one. Ian.

Edited by - KJ1592 on 23/09/2017 10:48:32

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2017 :  17:32:29  Show Profile
This car was offered on eBay in 2010.

Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2017 :  10:24:50  Show Profile
Chassis number 2M3189. MMM number 3016. Last known owner is shown as Margaret Grafham in 1998. Described as having a trials body, and a D type remote.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2017 :  10:38:17  Show Profile
Paul and Maggie Grafham are leading lights of the Y Register. Founding members, I believe.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2017 :  12:02:29  Show Profile
Auction this coming Sunday in Tiverton!
I have seen the car many times and is "ripe for restoration"

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

David 275

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2017 :  09:22:10  Show Profile
Hello

My name is David and alomg with my friend Rod Have been looing for a pre war MG. We both have a big interet in these cars and I suppose you could say they are the spiritual grangdaddy to the Frogeye Sprites we both own.

We alway wanted some kind of special, so the fact that the body has been changed does not worry us. We would be looking to keep it just as it is, as its all part of its history.

We were wondering if any of you could offer any information about the car or its previous history, as I believe the owners were once members of the Triple M Registry.

Also as total pre war "virgins" is there any buying advice you can offer us and more impotantly is there anything we should walk away from. Dont mind doing a bit of work as we have previously worked on and retored Frogeyes.

If we are succesful, hopefully one day you will see us at one of your events.

Thanking you in anticipation,
David and Rod,

Our cars are the Red and Blue one's at the front of the line up, taken at Classic Le Mans 2016.

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2017 :  09:32:25  Show Profile
Very quickly... the MMM engines can work wonderfully if properly set up and that is tricky. The M engine really needs a modern crank and rods to make it perform. The original cranks were prone to breaking at the slightest excuse. I do not know what has been done to this engine or by whom. Both are important as not everybody's work is reliable. Wonderful cars when bought at the right price and developed in your ownership.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

David 275

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2017 :  10:04:30  Show Profile
Hi Peter,
Thank you for you very prompt reply.
They hope to have the engine running by the time of the Auction, so that will be a very important factor. Information is limited from the Auction House but it appears it is not an original engine and the number suggests it from a Minor.We are hoping for something within our budget that we can get on the road without a major restoration, but happy to take on a rolling restoration program.
The hard part at Auction will be knowing when to walk away!
Thanks
David.

David
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2017 :  14:31:39  Show Profile
David,

There may be a slight reluctance to respond to your request for advice because a proper response would need a lengthy article rather than a forum posting. There isn't room here for a buyer's guide. However, as someone who has taken on a MMM project after a lifetime of cars with B Series engines, I can certainly confirm that this is different, very different, not least in costs. The early OHC engines are known for their vulnerability at the bottom of the engine, hence their crankshafts are knicknamed "bent wire". Anything that needs replacing has to be remade by craftsmen whose skills are expensive. Add to that a short-lived, unconventional system for getting the drive from the cranckshaft to the OH cam via the dynamo and you have a formula for hours of fun keeping the oil where it belongs and getting the suck-squeeze-bang-blow all happening at precisely the right moment. But we buy these cars for just that sort of fun don't we? An original OHC Minor engine is OK; a lot of us have those. But anything more alien than that should drop the price. If you can see the car running smoothly, without clouds of steam or smoke and without fluids dripping out, then at least you have some reassurance about what's under the bonnet. Far better is a file full of bills for parts bought and work done but that may not be available, so you have to pitch your budget with plenty of head-room for costs of refurbishment. Judging by the photo, the car seems to have been rebodied tastefully, so if you can get away without having to replace body parts, that's a bonus but have a good look for rot in the frame.

Good luck!

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  18:12:23  Show Profile
Hot news from todays auction!!
The car was bought by Andy and Angie King.
I have their permission to tell you.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000