Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Another K3 Rep
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2017 :  11:10:10  Show Profile
Hello Russ, no point in emailing me at the moment because I am in Greece! But please refer to the contacts page at the top of the website where you will see the names of the individuals who are the registrars for the respective models. They are the people to contact.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2017 :  10:45:15  Show Profile
It seems the world will never tire of conspiracy theories. Let me throw a little light on the situation, though it may only frustrate.

Take a hypothetical car, say PA4321, which was registered in 1968. The registrar will have taken for granted that the car existed, possibly a runner or a pile of bits, and it was issued with a number.

The owner turns up at events with car or parts thereof, until he/she eventually gets married/has kids/falls down a well and the car disappears from view.

Some years later PA4321 is registered as having a new owner and registrar duly notes it as such.

Further time passes and the owner who originally registered the car asks questions about restoration etc., clearly referring to PA4321. Registrar requires if he/she has repurchased the car - "No, its been in my garage for 30 years"

This is where the registrar requests identifying pics and docs. Are you with me so far?

A number of things may happen now, all of which have occurred during my short registrarship:

Both owners cooperate, one proving to have a non-original dumb iron, the other an original of the correct number. Thus that car is the original as it has the original chassis identity.

Both owners cooperate, but neither car has an original stamp on the knuckle. Possibly a chassis has been used because it was in better condition, matching it to the paperwork from another car, which later becomes the basis of its own rebuild. Hence conflicting data.

One owner does not cooperate, the other does, and in the cases I have seen his knuckle is apparently original.

The knuckle is in such poor condition through wear and tear that it is impossible the be sure about the number. Virtually all numbers can wear in such a way as to be difficult to decide its original designation. If there is no conflicting data then the documentation points to the correct decision, but this is not always possible.

And talking about documentation, sometimes it is a plain old mistake by the owner, the MG Car Co, and even, believe it or not, the registrar.

In general the Triple M number is carried by the car it was originally allocated to. If that car is in fact no longer the same car, i.e. if the chassis number has been misappropriated, the number remains with the original, so far as it can be established.

I could go on but I think I have illustrated that it is not a straightforward decision in many cases, and I am aware that there will be all sorts of caveats/questions/comments about the above. I am simply trying to illustrate the committee is working very hard at what is after all a hobby, and has no sinister intentions as often seems to be implied by comments above.

Regards,
Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 23/10/2017 10:46:28
Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2017 :  12:40:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DickMorbey

Hello Russ, no point in emailing me at the moment because I am in Greece! But please refer to the contacts page at the top of the website where you will see the names of the individuals who are the registrars for the respective models. They are the people to contact.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

hhahaha no worries dick....happy hols don't drink too much Sambuca...LOL
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2017 :  15:15:33  Show Profile
Graham,

Are you able to say what has happened in the case of N0356 where an apparently well documented car, with, presumably, a V5C has a Register number in 2015 but by 2017 (I don't have my 2016 copy to hand) it has seemingly been deregistered and the number hasn't been allocated to another car?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Russ Jackson

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2017 :  15:28:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Johnston

Graham,

Are you able to say what has happened in the case of N0356 where an apparently well documented car, with, presumably, a V5C has a Register number in 2015 but by 2017 (I don't have my 2016 copy to hand) it has seemingly been deregistered and the number hasn't been allocated to another car?

Simon J
J3437

my guess would be at the owners request.....although for me this would just add more questions
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2017 :  19:35:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

my guess would be at the owners request.....although for me this would just add more questions

But the advert says Currently there is no owner set for this vehicle. Hows that?

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 23/10/2017 19:36:03
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2017 :  19:47:44  Show Profile
The bit at the bottom says "last updated 2014", probably when the car was in the USA
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2017 :  06:31:27  Show Profile
quote:

Graham,

Bump!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  19:29:20  Show Profile
quote:

Graham,

Another week, another 'bump'

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2017 :  10:48:11  Show Profile
I have been assured by someone who should know that the omission of the Register number for this car in its listing in the 2017 printed Register is simply a consequence of the transfer of data to the database from which it is also missing and that the car has not been ‘de Registered’. Perhaps the Chairman or the Registrar could confirm this and remove the confusion surrounding the car.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2017 :  11:14:35  Show Profile
Simon, I am happy to give you and readers that confirmation, which has also been discussed amicably and constructively with the car's owner, which is the level at which car-specific matters should first be addressed.

I did say in a previous posting that the committee will be reviewing this and related matters when it meets on Sunday and we will make the promised announcement after that.

Regards

Dick Morbey
PA-PB0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2017 :  11:23:25  Show Profile
Thank you, Dick. I’m not sure why this couldn’t have been said at the outset rather than all the business of it not having been allocated a number, etc., etc. And presumably the fact that the Register number was omitted from the printed Register and the car itself from the online database is purely an unfortunate coincidence and nothing whatsoever to do with whatever ongoing discussions you may be having with the car’s owner which are clearly not for discussion with the general membership.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2017 :  11:29:10  Show Profile
Simon, confirmed. The owner had maintained a dignified silence on the Forum and rang me on this and other matters yesterday.

Regards

Dick Morbey
PA-PB0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2017 :  12:02:55  Show Profile
Dick,

Thank you again. If you'd explained four weeks ago that this was a simple transcription error instead of all the obfuscation we've had, we could all have maintained a dignified silence

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2017 :  19:34:18  Show Profile
But did you ask four weeks ago if this was a simple transcription error?

MSH
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000