Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Who, what where and when?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jonathan Elliott

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  20:21:54  Show Profile
I have no information regarding this picture but there is an MG in it! Can anyone shed any light on it?

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2018 :  21:05:43  Show Profile
NA0442 is as far as I can get.

JH
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  05:56:51  Show Profile
C.B.K. Milnes, Chassis No. NA0442 M.C.C. Exeter Trial. Date: 7/8.1.38. No award

Alongside the Morgan of RCC Palmer
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  10:26:16  Show Profile
That is brilliant Kevin. How did you find that out? Any idea which Section is involved?

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  14:36:53  Show Profile
I don't know which section offhand but I'm sure it could be worked out.

How did I find out?
I started by googling the registration plate and MG. This gives a photo of Milnes at a different event, along with the chassis number.
Then by looking for Milnes name and the rally number 135 I only found one event. Not conclusive yet though as it might be a different driver before or after Milnes or an event that I don't have results for. The next piece of the jigsaw was looking at entry 130 in the same event and finding it was a 3 wheeler Morgan.
I also looked at a photo of another car from the same event and the style of competition number matches (they do vary between events sometimes, font, shape, size etc)
As far as I'm concerned these combined is conclusive enough, unless of course anyone knows otherwise

Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  15:41:23  Show Profile
Come on Colin, surely you can tell us!
However, I think it is Woodhayes that they used only once in 1938 and is a "Long muddy lane with little gradient!
Used on the way back from Exeter to London.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  15:43:53  Show Profile
Sorry forgot the second page!!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  16:09:03  Show Profile
Also map of the route, on the south coast to the finish at Bournemouth.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

CrashBox

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  17:17:13  Show Profile
I think you're absolutely right about the location being Woodhayne(s) Lane. Google doesn't have a Street View image from that spot, unfortunately, but here's an image from the bottom of the lane and you can quite easily see the railway embankment and bridge.

Go to Top of Page

Jonathan Elliott

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  18:05:12  Show Profile
Thank you everyone. Mike the picture below is from the same set and fits your 'long muddy lane with little gradient'.

Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  21:06:28  Show Profile
Hi Jonathan.
If you have more in the set it would be good to see them, with or without MGs
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  23:48:30  Show Profile
For what it's worth the second picture is HEG Cox's Morgan
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  10:48:49  Show Profile
Thanks for the further info Kevin - and to all of you. I should have guessed that it was one of the MCC "big three" due to the 3 digit Comp Numbers. Having checked with Cowbourne, I came to the conclusion that it was Woodhaynes as this is the only Section used on the 1938 Exeter which I had not explored - except for Ryall which we looked for about eight years ago and could not find. The "phew" notes relating to Knowle Lane are interesting. If these notes were added in 1938 the Section must have got easier since then. Although I think I failed this one in 1970 or so (in the NA) for reasons which I can no longer remember, we visited the Section eight years ago and made several climbs of the hill. I was driving Alan Grassam's PA Cracker (thank you for that Alan) and it did not cause me to go "phew" at all. Now, I remember we did not use Knowle Lane in 1970 as it was restricted to motor cycles only.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000