Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Local help with J2 2625
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ColinD

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2019 :  21:33:55  Show Profile
I’ve just bought Ashley Hays blue J2 and it needs a bit of work. Im new to MGs and it’s going to be a family car. I would like to find a kind local person (around Bristol) with an early J2 that i could look at to see what’s missing from mine and to have a look at some of the body tub detail. I’m going to do my own re-skin.

I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions for the forums and perhaps will meet some people in time.

Colin

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2019 :  22:03:46  Show Profile
Hi Colin and welcome :)

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2019 :  22:09:16  Show Profile
Hello Colin

Welcome to the Forum and well done on your purchase of the J2, this Forum is the source of much expert opinion on matters Triple-M.

Also there are owners in the Bristol area who I know will be quick to contact you.

Wishing you good luck with the J2.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

ColinD

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2019 :  08:29:00  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome.
Colin, I looked on the triple-m racing website with interest, but see a lot of supercharged cars but no j2s. Has anyone raced a j2 on carbs?
I’m moving over from the darkside having competed in an A7 for 14 years- mainly sprints and hill climbs. I do have a race licence and whilst I didn’t buy the car to race, I’m curious to know if it could be done?
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2019 :  08:46:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ColinD

Thanks for the welcome.
Colin, I looked on the triple-m racing website with interest, but see a lot of supercharged cars but no j2s. Has anyone raced a j2 on carbs?
I’m moving over from the darkside having competed in an A7 for 14 years- mainly sprints and hill climbs. I do have a race licence and whilst I didn’t buy the car to race, I’m curious to know if it could be done?

Hi Colin,
There is at least 1 unblown J2 that competes from time to time (when the owners time allows). Regarding the Racing, contact Mark Dolton, he is on here as well as having contact details on the triple-m racing site. Mark will be able to answer all your racing questions. Are you free 23rd Feb? We have a track day at Goodwood with MMM sessions. Mark and I, along with various others will be there :)

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gusshoneybun

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2019 :  10:27:00  Show Profile
Hi Colin,
Welcome to the club. If you have the time, it would be worth your while coming along to a Triple M race or track day, There would be a lot of info at hand to help you on your way.
Regards,
Mark
quote:
Originally posted by ColinD

Thanks for the welcome.

MR
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2019 :  10:53:54  Show Profile
Colin D

Phil Coombes competed sucessfully in speed events until he hung up his helmet last year.

Edited by - graham holdsworth on 19/01/2019 10:59:50
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2019 :  11:32:41  Show Profile
Hi Colin. If you can , get along to the MG (& Triumph) day at Stoneleigh on 10th February. The Triple M Register have a stand there. An opportunity to meet many of the guys who post on the forum and guys who are very experienced in each model.
Chat around and I’m sure you will be directed to chaps who can give you sound advice at any time.
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2019 :  11:44:55  Show Profile
Colin, do get in contact!

Yup we have a few unblown cars playing with us, Oliver R raced his M Type two years ago and Andrew Harrington races his unblown J2. And then we have the battling P Types of McNinch and Davis Colley.

So no problem with an unblown car!

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2019 :  16:06:57  Show Profile
Hi Colin, I have an unblown J2 which has done it's fair share of competition over the years, get it right & the performance can be surprising, particularly when it's wet & grip is at a primium. I'm less than an hour from you, the other side of Bath & you're welcome to get in touch.

JH
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2019 :  17:19:12  Show Profile
Hello Colin, I travel to your district from time to time on family history research, my ancestor held a knights fee in the 14C and owned most of Wiltshire, confiscated after the Civil War, they lived in the general area and ended up the village of Box, near Bath. Maybe meet up next visit and Jeremy as well.

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  11:52:26  Show Profile
My unsupercharged J2 (Oct '32, J338) has been great fun to drive in hillclimbs, sprints, autosolos and a few trials, for many years and has enabled me to enjoy lots of competition.
It goes very well for me, and when my son Toby drives it goes even faster!
I would suggest it's best to get your J2 running well on carbs first, before considering a blower.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

briang

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  11:55:20  Show Profile
Sorry, number is J2338. You'd think I would write the correct number, after owning it for 52 years. Oops.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moore

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  19:51:02  Show Profile
Hi Colin
I have a j2 in my workshop if you would like to look
Stewart told me you had bought it !

Adrian Moore
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2019 :  10:20:54  Show Profile
It is strange that none of our "J" Type enthusiasts are very keen to mention the "C" word- crankshafts. The standard J type crankshaft could be relied on to last six months - maybe five if you were unlucky. Let's face it chaps. The standard J engine was inherently weak until H N Charles got to grips with the problem and designed an engine which had adequate thickness of main and big-end journals and rods which were designed for racing plus of course a centre main bearing. In that form an ultimate power output of 150 + b.h.p. was possible. So Colin D, if you plan to race, make sure you budget for a modern crankshaft and connecting rods, and while you are doing that, include a new modern camshaft. Then, when you are ready for a supercharger, the main difficulties with the J engine are already overcome.

Colin D. When you get round to talking to the present J2 racing people, they will have their own take on this subject.

Best wishes to you,

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

ColinD

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  22:46:43  Show Profile
Thanks for the emails, advice and help so far. Ive contacted a few people off line now.
I’m lucky enough to have a pheonix crank in the car with shells, so have a good starting point for a competition engine. I have no plans to supercharge the car and will look to see how efficient I can get the head to work- its got to be better than the side valve i’m used to and that now goes ok!

I’ll save other questions for new posts from now on. Thanks to everyone.

Colin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000