Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Where have all the young people gone?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

chapelfarmer

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2019 :  12:57:51  Show Profile
Multi club subscriptions for young members.
Ben - what a brilliant idea. If these were 'online only' then I’d imagine the cost of entry could be low. Younger people will have little interest in the monthly mag aspect - they are inherently digital. They would see forums like this as impressive places (this is undoubtedly the best one I ever visit, for lots of reasons but there are lots of other good ones in other clubs, some highly entertaining..) They will be very quick to post and to upload photos - they will never submit articles to editors two months ahead of publication dates...,
It’s maybe a broader point too. How much are these mags costing to print and post? (How much do you really want to read all about the latest Chinese soft-roader on glossy paper??) . The only magazine I really rate is the VSCC quarterly bulletin which must cost a fortune to produce but is probably worth it.
Other (big national ) marque clubs I’m in are facing real financial squeezes as members age and can no longer volunteer. Should they offer an expensive ‘printed’ membership plus an alternative, affordable digital one?
This multi-club digital idea, for younger members or for everyone, is maybe better taken up at a FHBVC level.
John

john
Go to Top of Page

chapelfarmer

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2019 :  13:05:15  Show Profile
Regarding the point about memory lane, an aunt who ran an antique shop regularly visited older people with her 'memory boxes'. These are boxes full of stuff too recent to be antique and which she would otherwise have passed on. Everyday items from the 30s and 40s mainly - always a big hit. The same happens with an Austin 7 (the more mundane the better - not many people did their courting in an Ulster Replica whereas a Box Saloon works wonders!). Trips to care homes with rides around the car park might be a thing? If grandchildren could be roped in it might serve our purposes too! Probably an insurance nightmare, who knows?
Anything that puts our cars in a category called 'heritage' will be much safer re future legislation than the category called 'petrolhead'......!

john
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2019 :  14:57:18  Show Profile
John (chapelfarmer)

Some great ideas there which I hope you don’t mind me sharing with our local vintage car club who are also agonising over these same issues.

See you at Pre War Prescott
Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 14/06/2019 14:58:05
Go to Top of Page

chapelfarmer

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2019 :  15:10:04  Show Profile
More than welcome Simon of course. You may find the area around Lisburn already saturated re the 'memory box' concept!

john
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2019 :  15:15:42  Show Profile
Tim,

Re your bottom line (!), we at Pre-War Prescott do everything we can to encourage drivers to give rides up the hill to youngsters and generally get them involved, and in particular the Air Cadets who we invite every year as we raise funds for the RAF Charitable Trust (who are a major source of funding for the Air Cadets). If there is anything else we can do, or if anyone has any ideas, I'd be very glad to hear them and help all I can. In this age group, its all about planting seeds for the future.
Go to Top of Page

chapelfarmer

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2019 :  15:23:51  Show Profile

Rory (at 17) and Molly (at 19) having fun but both on closed / private roads annoyingly, thanks to insurance company nonsense....the best people to show this kind of tomfoolery to their contemporaries would, of course, be them!!

john
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2019 :  15:34:33  Show Profile
I think we do need to differentiate between encouraging our own children and grandchildren, and reaching out to young people from a non 'vintage' motoring background. And that, I fear, is an uphill struggle, not least because of the cost of a Triple-M car. The wider vintage community has those funny little Austin Seven thingies to promote vintage motoring but even an M Type is well into five figures, price wise. And as the cars really are impractical for everyday use nowadays, unlike when many of us drove Triple-M, or in my case T Types, in the 60s or earlier, can you blame young people for buying a Mazda MX5? One of my nephews has just bough an lovely low mileage one in cracking good condition for £1,500. That would just about buy a J2 gearbox!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2019 :  15:43:31  Show Profile
Colin McLachlan, PWP 2016.

Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2019 :  16:38:09  Show Profile
Can't resist posting this photo from last year's PWP. Taken by our Dutch member Ronald Trumpi.

Go to Top of Page

mackeith

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2019 :  17:56:10  Show Profile
Ben,
This is Iain writing, James's son. I have been interested recently in making a custom bike rack that goes off of the spare wheel knockoff. It was extended some time ago to allow for a second spare wheel but with the tire sizes being all the same now, there is no real need. The bikes would be placed so that front is over the gas tank (front wheel would have to be removed). I did not end up having enough time to build it before then but luckily we had an old bike rack meant for a hatchback laying around. It was held on mostly with straps but was on tight.
I will let you know how things go with the custom bike rack.

Kind Regards,
Iain MacKeith
Go to Top of Page

William Cullen

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2019 :  22:54:32  Show Profile
Good evening all
I am lucky to have a grandson who help me restore 3 MMM cars over the years and indeed is in his last year as a Toyota apprentice, unfortunately he is planning to go to New Zealand as he has duel nationality and given the housing and living cost in the UK feels his future is there. He will be sadly missed but we fully understand.
The need to pass on the skills needed to keep our cars going is paramount particularly as we get older and have limited mobility and limited budgets.
I have started to liaise with the head of automotive engineering department of our local tech college and we are planning to invite some of the student's down to my workshop to view my MMM cars and indeed my MGA to see if I can start a spark in anyone of them for a working on the older type of cars. First visit is next week.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

gerard van der veen

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2019 :  20:50:03  Show Profile
Citing the ‘History of Mortgages in the UK’;
“One hundred years ago, the idea of owning your own home was an impossible dream for ordinary working people”
The same counts for all ‘affluent objects of desire’, like our pre-war cars.
First for the affluent in the thirties, then a nice amount survived the steel scrap period of the sixties, and now again the market determines the price; nothing new.

It is simple to think that youngsters just inherit our pre-war cars, and even suggesting to make them cheaper I can’t take serious.

Like any generation, it comes down to choices. The very first post I think is a good reflection as how the next generation is thinking about the current generation pre-war owner.; not worth the effort.

Not coming from an affluent, and non-technical, background I simply had to work for my hobbies. Something also the current generation ‘simply’ can do!
What is wrong to start with something cheap, small when you are 20 and a genuine works MG K3 when you are 60… you only have to sell your Porsche…

The only issue I can suggest is to do something more about enthusiasm. I’ve done a lot of restoration but when it comes to clubs I am always ‘reserved’. For me difficult to understand, but the majority of clubs, I have been member of, suffer all from the same difficulty; inwards thinking. Own brand & own brand only from narrow to the minutia… how often does clubs (or interesting people) visit each other & learn from each other.

After two years being a member of the MG Car club I don’t see any difference in this club either, a club sponsored by the existing MG corporation (or SAIC) to protect its brand name, but if you measure the interest in its pre-war heritage; dismal in the shape of a J2 made after blurry first generation photocopier. In the past two years I have not seen one article of significance related to the restoration of our cars. No technical drawings, suggestions for milling, welding or casting… In my ‘centre’ the visitors can only talk (read monologue) about the runs, being done in the past few weeks or the very same one can do in the coming few weeks. I have asked for ‘info evenings’; no-response, every month it is the same pint, same grey hairs and the same story… Not only a juvenile would run out these meetings… Nor have I seen one article in ‘Safety Fast’ passing with ‘a critical debate or issue’ as how our old-timers fit in today’s traffic let alone the future (am I allowed to use the word Europe (?)… How do other countries do it…. Following today’s UK cyclists, planting an arbitrary sign along the road ‘cycle event taking place’ and suddenly your public road is converted into ‘their racing track’. Expecting abiding their hideous rules; -blind- racing on objects without brakes, bells etc. What would happen if I put an ‘old-timer event’ on the side of the road; after all, I need it for tuning my (racing pre-war) car…

No, if you want to attract young generations, or I think anybody in general, and securing the survival of MMM, it is about time that the club becomes more ‘open to enthusiasm and out of the old box’ and how to lay the foundation to solve the 7 points of disengagement so perfectly pointed out in the first post.

PA-PB

gerard van der veen
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2019 :  12:03:19  Show Profile
Picking up on your point Gerard regarding the lack of technical articles I suggest you go to the Home page click on document downloads followed by Infoletters and Year Book and Year Book Index and you will find articles on most aspects of renovating our cars.

Subscription to our Bulletin and frequent reading of these forums will also enhance your technical knowledge. Many technical drawings are available from the Libary at Kimber House and on the Dutch Triple-M web pages.

Must say I do agree with some of your comments regarding cycle races

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Ben Stephens

United Kingdom
167 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2019 :  12:23:37  Show Profile
I think strictly if the road is still open for the public it can’t be a cycle race (although I do wonder at times) and the bicycles should all be road legal. I think they do it to warn motorists. I would say putting out signs for a prewar car event would also be beneficial. It would alert people there is slower moving road users. There have been some rather nasty accidents recently.

We all need to be careful what we wish for. We are very lucky in the UK that we don’t have many restricted covenants on roads. We can still use our pre war cars freely. Start banning or restricting one group, then they will start looking for others. A 3 ton 100mph Bentley with no MoT will be easy pickings for the press!

Ben

Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1873 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2019 :  13:03:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by coracle

quote:
Originally posted by Ben Stephens

As an avid cyclist I had always wondered how to fit a bicycle to the PA!

I have a bike rack that fits on the rear door mounted spare wheel of a LandRover. If I can find it I will dig it out and see if it is practical on a PA. Give me a few days and I will report back.

As promised see: http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16169
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000