Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 1930 M Type 2M1281 GJ 5795
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ian Grace

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2019 :  18:26:31  Show Profile
Can't tell you how excited I am to report that I've just arranged acquisition of this car from Paul Brown in Georgia, USA. After a lifetime of narrowly missing out on a number of M Types, this is my first M (and my first MMM). A lifelong dream come true.

Evidently the car was shipped to the US in 1965 but may not have turned a wheel since. Paul acquired it in 2007. Apart from a rather scruffy panel job, it looks generally complete and original.

I will of course be joining the Register! Hopefully it will be returning with Jayne and I to the UK in five years when we retire. So another MMM car in the hands of a wrinkled old buffer!

Edited by - Ian Grace on 23/06/2019 18:44:43

colintf

United Kingdom
1485 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2019 :  21:04:57  Show Profile
Hi Ian, congratulations! That's fantastic :)

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6008 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2019 :  21:39:16  Show Profile
Plenty there to keep you busy up to, and beyond, retirement, Ian

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2019 :  22:03:54  Show Profile
Well, I don't want to get bored, Simon!
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3059 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2019 :  23:10:20  Show Profile
I would like to add my congratulations. This car seems to have a completely original unmolested body with only superficial changes. It even appears to have most of its original floor only disrupted by the fitting of a four speed gearbox.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2019 :  02:13:55  Show Profile
Thanks Sam, much appreciated. I'm hoping that the body is recoverable (in both senses of the word!), so I can avoid a new frame.

I will also have to decide whether to keep the 4-speed box or revert it to original.

The car should be shipped to Seattle some time after Pre-War Prescott and I can't wait to crawl all over it. By all accounts it hasn't been run since 1960.
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
988 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2019 :  10:35:25  Show Profile
Wow, what a find! Congratulations, and good luck with the rebuild. We'll all look forward to seeing it at PWP in due course.

Colin

Crail, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6008 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2019 :  11:27:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Grace

I will also have to decide whether to keep the 4-speed box or revert it to original.

Ian,
Mike Allison wrote an article on gearing in the 1998 Yearbook and my recollection is that he concluded that the three speed gearbox suited the M better than the four speed one. And you’d get a good price for the four speed one should you decide to sell it!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3059 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2019 :  13:19:13  Show Profile
I am very familiar with two M-types and one has an original three speed gearbox and the other has a four speed. I do not agree with Mike Allison

The three speed has a first gear ratio of 3.5 : 1 almost certainly to get the heavier Morris Minor moving with a large gap to get to second after which everything is fine. When traffic lights turn green and you move off, the modern car behind impatiently swerves around you and just as you get into second and the M-type really gets into its stride the modern car cuts in front forcing you to brake. A four speed largely overcomes this problem by filling in the gap.

But the three speed is a strong reliable gearbox and the first motion shaft splines (in my experience) are usually found in much better condition than on a typical a four speed. It is original to the car and with an MG D-type remote (for example) on quiet country roads it is a delight. Because of an obsession with four speed gearboxes three speeds are still relatively cheap, usually sound and easy to find.

I strongly suggest you try a three speed in your M-type but hold on to the four speed
in case you ever change your mind.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

PaulusPotter

Netherlands
202 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2019 :  10:39:56  Show Profile
Hello Ian,

Congratulations with your M! And welcome to the MMM owners and forum.

I think I saw the photograph of the M in companie of the (modern) Midget years ago as it was offered for sale somewhere on the internet.

But to be honest I am also intrested in the photograph where the M is in the companie of the L Continental Coupe. This since I own a L Continental Coupe and am intrested in other Continental Coupes or their photographs.

So thanks for placing the photographs.

My friend owns two M- types, but we are too far off in the Netherlands.

Whish you pleasure and succes with the restauration and ownership.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2019 :  15:34:40  Show Profile
Thanks Paul,

I'm told by Mike Dalby that the coupe is L0720, but is now a 2 seater in France!

Although I live and work in Seattle, you may know that I also run Pre-War Prescott in the UK every July and this year the Dutch MMM Group are visiting in force with their cars, the weekend of 20th/21st July. Cat Spoelstra has all the details if you and/or your friend would like to join us, or see the thread on this forum. We're celebrating the 90th anniversary of the M Type, with 19 examples entered so far, so any more M Type entries would be most welcome, and it would be great to meet!

Thanks again, Ian

Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
357 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2019 :  17:18:16  Show Profile
Ian, reading Sam Christie's comments on the merits of four speed over three speed , I have a couple of 3 speed gearboxes spare , and you are quite welcome to use one to try out should you wish . Then at least you can compare the two . If needed I could bring one to pre-war Prescott .
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2019 :  19:03:22  Show Profile
Congratulations from me also, the little car looks to be very complete, original and a nice project as well. Welcome also to the MG Car Club and thus the Triple-M Register.

It is surprising how many original unmolested and unused Triple-M cars come to light. Another example is the F2 currently advertised for sale, I believe it was exported to the USA in the 1960s by the vendor who apparently never drove the car.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2019 :  16:18:12  Show Profile
Thanks George and Fred - all good stuff.

Re your very kind offer Fred, I will be at Pre-War Prescott but live in Seattle, and I think a gearbox might take me over my hand luggage limit!

I am looking forward greatly to the restoration, and after experience with other restorations, I'm going to resist the temptation to strip it to the bare chassis in a weekend. I think I can restore the great majority of the car while it is in one piece - radiator, windscreen, panel, lamps, wheels, brakes, even axles and suspension. Then the gearbox and engine ancillaries including the carb., starter, head, dynamo, etc., before the body comes off. And as the ash frame appears to be unmolested, I'd be happy to take plenty of measurements, photos, etc. if they would be of any use to anyone.

In that vein, a suggestion. Over on the VMR forum we have an 'Our Cars' thread group where owners can start a thread for their particular car, posting restoration updates, trips out, parts or help wanted, historical research, etc., etc. I've started one for the M at http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/Forum2/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1734&sid=c97c67d5c0ba25e8e7f3b830d55e07bd. Is this something that could be added to this forum? It would certainly be interesting to see in one area what others are doing with their cars.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2019 :  23:01:23  Show Profile
Well done Ian!

You may have a namesake - or was it you - who owned 2M3308 until 1992?

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
652 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2019 :  23:54:08  Show Profile
Interesting Dick. That was not me. As far as I recall, the closest I have got to owning an M before was when I visited Terry Bone in Sussex around the late seventies and bought a bare chassis frame for 500 pounds - which turned out to be a modified Minor chassis. I did have a new body from Dave Cooksey who lived nearby in Wokingham in those days, but I didn't progress much further with it as the chassis wasn't genuine. 2M1281 could not be more genuine and is a LOT more complete!

See you in a couple of weeks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000