Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 MG Car Co. Ltd., sign
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2019 :  22:09:56  Show Profile
This MG Car Co. Ltd., sign was seen on Adrian Gravestock's car, M type OV 1054, at the Summer Gathering. He has since told me that he bought the sign in the 1960s, or earlier, so it has nothing to do with the car.
However, do you know to what it does refer, and have you seen another?

Mike Dalby

leckstein

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  01:09:52  Show Profile
I have one of these as well. It was my understanding that they were used to identify machinery and equipment at the MG Factory, and became available after the plant closed . Great key ring fob.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

DanPA

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  15:20:35  Show Profile
Hello. You can reproductions of these in the States:

https://www.triple-c.com/Products/MG_PLANT_TAG/MG_PLANT_TAG

Daniel Shockey
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2019 :  18:17:52  Show Profile
I seem to recall acquiring mine around the time of the factory closure in 1980. I’m afraid mine says ‘Leyland Cars’ as well as MG.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Reinout

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2019 :  02:56:45  Show Profile
David Knowles inquired about these in the MG factory Abingdon remembered facebook group.
The most definite response came from Mike Allison:

"Every piece of equipment in the factory had one of these, it record through associated paperwork when the item was was bought and from whom. I have one in my collection from the end-of-line tracking gauge. I suspect the book of records was "lost" when the factory was cleared."

https://www.facebook.com/david.knowles.5015/posts/10210802933988227

Reinout Vogt
Emma
1931 M-Type 2M/2735

Edited by - Reinout on 12/07/2019 02:58:57
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2019 :  09:23:12  Show Profile
I think it is a pity when tags which look completely official are retrospectively fixed to cars to which they never belonged. They may not confuse the person who applies them but they create a false history which in time is liable to be believed.

Is there any hard evidence that a 'Carbodies' plate (like the one supplied by S&V) was ever applied to M-type bodies in the period ? The examples seen on a number of M-types today always seem to be new.

This J-type original (image borrowed from the Forum) appears to have been made with different tooling from S&V supplied examples.

Sam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000