Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Q Type for sale
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

tholden

United Kingdom
1627 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2023 :  11:19:37  Show Profile
At up coming Bonhams Goodwood Revival Auction.
Described as 1934 MG Q Type.
The Ex Doreen Evans Multiple Brooklands entrant. Chassis number QA 0254
Price guide £150 - £200,000

TH

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6008 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2023 :  11:21:52  Show Profile
https://www.bonhams.com/auction/27998/preview-lot/5737881/1934-mg-q-type-single-seater-chassis-no-qa-0254/

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1886 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2023 :  19:18:41  Show Profile
Presumably this car provided the inspiration for the beautiful blue P type single seater that MR.B has?
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2023 :  12:12:16  Show Profile
This car was built by Tom Dark using much of the original chassis, plus one piece of the original bonnet. The engine is very highly tuned and is noted for an amazing outing at the Goodwood Revival about 10 years ago, when it appeared in a handicap race alongside RA0255 (also prepared by Tom) being driven by Mark Piercy. The R Type took the lead on the second lap and stayed in front for the entire race. Tom in QA0254 worked his way through the field to finish in second place, and both cars put up race times not far short of the times achieved by the ERAs in their own event at the same meeting with engines double the capacity of the M.G.s. It would be great if the car is bought by someone who intends to race it and I am sure that it would do well in the current round of MMM races.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2023 :  23:59:52  Show Profile
Colin, a little of the original chassis, the back 3 or so feet I recall

Impressive car for what it represents

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2023 :  11:31:24  Show Profile
No Rich. At least three quarters of the original chassis was used. At one stage in its illustrious career it was owned and driven by A T (Tom) Norton who fitted it with a six and a quarter litre Gypsy Major aero engine and independent front suspension. To enable this to be done he cut off both front dumb irons which probably represented less than a quarter of the chassis length. When Tom Dark acquired the remains of the chassis (plus one piece of the original bonnet) he added the parts of the chassis which were missing and constructed a very faithful copy of the original body. I have a very clear photograph of the chassis before it was restored - which cannot be posted here because of copyright.

Colin B.

Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1028 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2023 :  11:58:25  Show Profile
For me racecars have a life and history, there is no such thing as an all original matching number racecar.
They are made by their history
Now if I could only win the lottery before the auction.....

Onno "J,D,M" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2023 :  12:33:27  Show Profile
Onno

So lets hope that we don't both win the lottery because we would end up in a fight at the auction! I'm with you this is one I would love to recommission and race.

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1028 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2023 :  15:02:36  Show Profile
I'll let you know if I get lucky ;)

Onno "J,D,M" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1886 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2023 :  15:34:00  Show Profile
If I get lucky I was wondering what to do about the begging letters, but on reflection, I will still keep sending them.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2023 :  22:50:50  Show Profile
Colin, did you actually see with your own eyes what was left of the original chassis. I did, and before it was grafted onto the reproduced new section

There is an original element incorporated in this car but, it did not look much from what I saw

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Darkie

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2023 :  07:16:03  Show Profile
Richard,

You never saw the remains of QA254 as if you did you would clearly remember that over 3/4 of the chassis remained as did the bonnet tops, the front engine cross tube, the special steering box shaft and arm and the external hand brake.

QA254 has had quite a history, within 12 months from being purchased from the factory by the Evans family as a standard 2 seat Q type they gave the car to Wilkie wilkinson to build Doreen a fast single seater to race, this is the car everyone knows about today.
After the Evans family raced the car with great success the car was sold to a couple more owners, one being Jim Lafone who used the car for sprints and hillclimbs,post war. The car was then sold to Tommy Norton, who also owned R4D ERA, not happy with the performance of the little MG he started to modify the car to make it a hill climb and sprint special. He firstly in 1949 lengthened the chassis and fitted fitted a Gypsy Major engine, he found after a couple of seasons the car needed to handle better so now the chassis had been extensively modified at the front to fit Morris Oxford front suspension and rear axle.Please note the original engine cross tube fitted.
I managed to track down Tommys brother, Martin, and after meeting up in his care home we chatted for a few hours about the "De-Havilland special" Martin told me he helped modify the car with his brother Tommy, I asked if he could remember what happened to the front 2'6 of the chassis that was missing and any other parts, his replay was, we ran a scrap yard and it was all junk to us!
Just as I was about to leave he reached in to is bedside drawer and pulled out a small tin box and gave it to me, he said I think you should have these. Inside was 5 small photographs of the highly modified car that I will post below.

I spent 3 years rebuilding the only remaining parts of QA254 back in to the car that is offered at the Goodwood sale.

I hope this clears up any miss information about QA254

Regards

Tom

TOM DARK
Go to Top of Page

Darkie

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2023 :  07:18:48  Show Profile

TOM DARK
Go to Top of Page

Darkie