Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Brighton Speed Trials
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Digby

United Kingdom
129 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2024 :  09:23:02  Show Profile
With the recent announcement of the demise of the Brighton Trials I wondered if there is anyone out there with sufficient knowledge and interest to write an article about MGs at Brighton for the Yearbook as I don’t think it has been covered in previous Yearbooks. We have some photos from the 1930s from Oliver Richardson’s collection but must be a lot out there, particularly from more recent years. Entry Lists, Programmes, personal experience, etc.

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1485 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2024 :  11:39:59  Show Profile
Hello Digby. As a Brightonion I first visited the Speed Trials in 1953 and I have regularly attended on many occasions since. I also drove my NA there several times in the early 70s including one entry with the ex Betty Haig TB, MG 6644, courtesy of my pal Roger Shadbolt. Since that time I have often thought about writing an article on M.G.s at Brighton and I have collected original or copies of all programmes from 1932 (when the first M.G. appeared there) until 1960 (when the MGAs became dominant.) plus quite a few photographs. We also managed to enter two complete teams of MMM cars (blown and unblown) for a number of years in the early 70s. The amount of detail available would suggest a fairly major Yearbook article, but at the present time the project has slipped down my list of priorities. Being realistic there is a risk now that I will never complete the article. If anyone would like to take over the project, I will be pleased to pass them all my paperwork. If no one wishes to do it, I might possibly be able to find the time to move things on next winter. However. it would be unwise of me to make any really firm promises.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1489 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2024 :  17:28:13  Show Profile
Some fantastic experiences there Colin :)

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)

https://www.triple-mregister.org/racing.asp

http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1973 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2024 :  08:35:04  Show Profile
Hello, Digby and Colin.
What is the publication deadline for the article and how large, ideally, can it be? Also, is the proposed article to include MMM MGs only? (Colin mentions the successes of MGAs in the 1960s.)
Thank you,
Chris

Edited by - Westbury on 29/02/2024 08:53:45
Go to Top of Page

Digby

United Kingdom
129 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2024 :  10:26:19  Show Profile
Chris, no deadline yet but need to know what articles are going to be available. Aiming to have it available in May so will be tight. Article could also work for 2024 edition so any work would not be wasted. I will email you direct.
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1973 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2024 :  11:15:08  Show Profile
Thanks, Digby.
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1973 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2024 :  16:39:45  Show Profile
Hello, Digby.
Nothing received as yet.
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1973 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2024 :  16:06:30  Show Profile
Hello, Digby.
Any further developments? I am willing to help if required.
Regards,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1973 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2024 :  21:57:01  Show Profile
Hello, forum.
I will be endeavoring to write an article on MMM cars and their drivers who competed at the Brighton Speed Trials for our Yearbook, courtesy of much material kindly loaned to me by Colin Butchers.
If anyone can help with any suitable pictures/photographs or any relative information depicting MMM cars at the Brighton Speed Trials that I could add to Colin’s material I would be very grateful. Acknowledgements will be given for anything used.
As Digby has pointed out, the Speed Event at Brighton will no longer be run owing to various factors, the final one being last year, 2023.
It is felt to be fitting that we now remember the part played by our MMM cars and drivers over many years.
Thank you,
Chris

Edited by - Westbury on 02/04/2024 22:00:19
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1489 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2024 :  05:03:02  Show Profile
Thankyou, I look forward to reading this Chris :)

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)

https://www.triple-mregister.org/racing.asp

http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Edited by - colintf on 03/04/2024 05:03:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000