Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 J2
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2013 :  18:42:44  Show Profile
Definitely two different pictures the second of which is reversed!!

Look at the position of the front wheels, first photo taken from just ahead of car and second a side view. Rear view mirror can be seen in both photos.

QED

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 29/07/2013 18:44:10
Go to Top of Page

Pat Widdup

New Zealand
399 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  02:55:08  Show Profile
They could be New Zealand plates. I have seen that configuration before

Cheers Pat
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2013 :  21:55:59  Show Profile
Mmm, no identity yet and it seems unlikely we'll ever find out, but I have now at least learned the car was owned by one Jack Hulbert from Auckland in the late 1940s and that's who the pictures came from.

Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2013 :  21:58:40  Show Profile
And do you know the chassis number of the M-type, Pat?
Go to Top of Page

Peter Croft

New Zealand
52 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2017 :  07:51:39  Show Profile
Hello Cathelijne,

This is an old post but.................
Re the photo of the J2 Registered number 151.584. The car is a NZ one , the photograph taken mid 36 to mid 37 as that number plate was only valid between those dates because New Zealand changed its plates every year to indicate the road tax had been paid. A system that changed in 1963.

You say that the car has been identified as belonging to Jack Hulbert but I do not think so as I understand Jack obtained his car after WW2

If you examine the 8 photos of Jacks car I will try and send through, you will see a number of differences. And whats more, I reckon that in 1937 Jack would have been far too young to own the featured car, even if he had the money , and according to his wife he did not.

From memory she also said that Jack painted the car black. One of the photos show it a light body colour and one, with the bonnet open shows that only the outside was painted.

If I can not attach the pictures I will E mail them to you and could you please post them .

Peter and J 3096

Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  15:44:32  Show Profile
The other lovely pics Peter mentioned of the Hulbert car:

Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  15:51:42  Show Profile
Peter also sent me this bit from a magazine indicating the pictures actually date back to 1939/40 instead of 1936/37. (No idea how to turn it upright, sorry.)

As an aside, I have no idea why I said the first pic I posted was the Hulbert car, because I can find no reference to someone telling me thus in my old emails ...

Go to Top of Page

Peter Croft

New Zealand
52 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  20:46:40  Show Profile
Thanks for posting the extra photos Cathelijne

We now have two mystery cars.

Was Hulbert's car originally cream/white etc as the photo appears to indicate? Perhaps an intelligent guess of the cars age by dating clues eg windscreen wiper motor etc and then an inspection of the J2 records could throw some light on its possible identity.

Re the date of the New Zealand number plates.

Clearly I am or the "From the Archive" caption is incorrect . The 1936/37 plates were yellow with black numerals and the symbol used as the centre spacing was an inverted triangle, and positioned lower centre.
The 1939/40 plates were orange with black numerals but the centre spacing symbol was a pentagon positioned mid-centre.

The photo shows the the symbol in the lower centre so the date must be 36/37.

The advantage with the previous NZ system of changing number plates to show the road tax had been paid is that a photo can be dated but which car ? All very frustrating .

Note the rubber or canvas front wing extensions to prevent stones from, in those days the mostly unsealed shingle country roads, removing most of the paint from the side of the car and the rear wing leading edge. It is still an issue in New Zealand.

Peter and J3096
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  20:59:14  Show Profile

Heads Up.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  21:17:16  Show Profile
The photos of the car when it has the dark paint would suggest it's an early car as it has the unstrengthened windscreen supports which would suggest January 1933 at the latest as there are photos dated early February showing the strengthened windscreen. It also has the Petrolift and seemingly a suction wiper motor as well as the early flat backed fuel tank. The car when painted white seems to have gained the strengthened windscreen supports and an electric wiper in place of the suction one, i.e. in the centre. So I would suggest that the white colour came later and is not original.

As to which car it is, J2312 (colour blue) was exported to New Zealand in November 1932 to a Miss P Judd of Wellington and this car still survives with Register number 1487. Another J2 exported there, J2302, is now apparently in Gaydon Museum. The records don't appear to show any other J2s going to New Zealand Of course that doesn't mean that there weren't any - just that the records don't show any. But J2312 seems a possibility.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 03/01/2018 21:19:28
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  20:13:06  Show Profile

Is this J2302 ? It was photographed in Gaydon Museum.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  21:09:15  Show Profile
Or could the Gaydon car be 4213? The centre badge is certainly a NZ vintage car club one

http://www.mgcars.co.nz/J2.htm

Edited by - KevinA on 04/01/2018 21:13:51
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2018 :  21:39:39  Show Profile
I believe that the information in the chassis file for J2302 says that it is now in the Gaydon museum

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

NZ_monty

New Zealand
61 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2018 :  21:11:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KevinA

Or could the Gaydon car be 4213? The centre badge is certainly a NZ vintage car club one

http://www.mgcars.co.nz/J2.htm

4213 is my J2 (currently on a boat from the USA), reminds me I must update the website! However it had swept wings 1966 and from the factory so unlikely to be this car.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2018 :  21:36:53  Show Profile
Congratulations on your purchase, Daniel. Our J2 Registrar, John Emmett (contact details are in the contacts page - see this website's front page) is the person to contact. He will be grateful to receive (and exchange) details of the car and its history, previous owners etc etc....

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000