Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 J2 Cylinder head nuts
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2138 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2019 :  07:45:34  Show Profile
Hi Simon, and all
Yes, I still occasionally machine up the intermediate rocker shaft castings for the usual well known MMM engine builders and enthusiasts direct

There is another small batch of castings sat on the side of the milling machine at the moment awaiting their turn. Top plates, in stainless, are always in stock

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 20/11/2019 19:27:32
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2019 :  07:57:12  Show Profile
Wooden wedges work perfectly well - you just need three hands.
Go to Top of Page

JLP

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2019 :  15:17:48  Show Profile
Yes, Richard, I have always realised that the lever arm has been extended by about an inch when using this spanner with the welded on 3/8" nuts, when of course the two parts are lined up. Exactly what the increase in torque is, I have never been quite sure.

Simon, I have in the past come across a torque wrench (I think) in which only crows feet attachments could be slotted in. It was to that which I was referring to, not realising that crows feet (is that the plural?) can be used with any torque wrench. We live and learn!
Thanks for the info about the rocker brackets and the splash cover. I have previously modified the cam cover 'A' brackets into 3 pieces, so that the camshaft could be lifted out easily, but it was not such an elegant solution to what you have fitted.
Jeremy
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2019 :  15:30:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blue M

Wooden wedges work perfectly well - you just need three hands.

Or an engine crane

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2019 :  20:33:17  Show Profile
Rich,

How are you able to edit posts twelve hours later when as far as I’ve found the limit is 30 minutes?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2019 :  09:51:06  Show Profile
My solution to head nuts requires no calculation for torque figures
:

Cut up an old 1/2 square drive 6 inch extension, a couple of bits of 1/8 sheet steel and there you have it.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2019 :  20:04:02  Show Profile
Dave,
Would you be willing/have the time to make me up one of your bespoke crow’s feet? Would of course pay appropriate fee. No problem if you can’t - but I do see a need for these. I’m removing my J2 head in the next few weeks. This gadget of yours would be a real help.
Bests,
Mark

MSH
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2019 :  22:58:11  Show Profile
Hi Mark,
I'm sorry but I cannot however, it's easy enough to do as I did. As I described, I cut up an old 6 inch extension. The bit on the right hand side is the 1/2 square drive socket from the extension. I then cut the two pieces of 1/8 sheet steel and, as you can see, they don't need to be pretty! Finally I took the whole lot to my local garage and they welded it all together.
Good luck,
Dave
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2019 :  11:55:35  Show Profile
Thanks Dave, that’s great advice - all the best!

MSH
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000