Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 The M.G. Car Company Ltd., Pavlova Works
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robert R

Austria
320 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2020 :  22:14:24  Show Profile
The M.G. Car Company Ltd., Pavlova Works, Abingdon-on-Thames.
The letter envelope was stamped July 14, 1932 6 days after the purchase of the F-Type.
Can you understand the meaning?

Robert (F1164)

Onno

Netherlands
1031 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2020 :  22:24:47  Show Profile
Yes I think this is the envelope in which the warranty card was sent back to M.G.

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Robert R

Austria
320 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2020 :  14:53:36  Show Profile
Pavlova Leather Co. Ltd, Abingdon
Could the meaning with The M.G. Car Company Ltd., Pavlova Works, Abingdon-on-Thames? Can someone help?

Robert (F1164)
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
395 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2020 :  04:02:04  Show Profile
The MG Car Company moved into a portion of the buildings formerly occupied by the Pavlova Leather Co., when they shifted from Oxford.
MG eventually took over the entire site. I would have to re-read some reference books to detail it all.

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
447 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2020 :  15:04:05  Show Profile
And note for half a penny you got next day delivery from London.
From copies of correspondence to my father, these were usually by return of post as well. Progress? Simon C.
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2020 :  22:28:14  Show Profile
Here is a 1930's parts bag from Abingdon. supplying 4 valve items fee of charge for a PA. stamps on the back total 5 pence.

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

Robert R

Austria
320 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  06:32:09  Show Profile
The histories of MG and of Abingdon are closely associated with the Pavlova Leather Co. Ltd.

The Pavlova Leather Connection to MG

Pavlova Leather was a tannery of glove leather that operated in Abingdon at least as far back as 1860. Its production changed over the years due to market demand. At one time it was known for book-binding leathers. Today, most people remember Pavlova for automotive upholstery. Pavlova Leather was purchased by Alfred Booth and Company of Liverpool in 1921, and came under reorganization that included sale of a large real estate parcel in 1929 to the MG car company. It was a copasetic agreement because MG became a significant customer for upholstery material. The Pavlova Leather tannery, operating from a facility just north of the MG factory, remained in operation until 1989.

Quelle: http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Abingdon-For-MG-Enthusiasts.htm

Again for the question about the meaning:
The letter envelope was stamped July 14, 1932 6 days after the purchase of the F-Type. Could it be that the interior was corrected?

THANKS of course to everyone who accepted and answered the topic.
Robert

Robert (F1164)
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
960 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  10:15:24  Show Profile
Before I left the MG Car Club in 2010, I arranged with the help of Club Archivist. Pete Neal, for the sign to be restored. The 'T' Register paid the bill. At the time, there were those (not in the 'T' Register, I hasten to add), who questioned whether the sign was of significant historical merit to warrant the considerable cost of restoration, but sometimes one has to be guided by one’s instincts as to what is right and to simply get on and do it!

Knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing, comes to mind.....

A picture of the restored sign is below.

JOHN JAMES THE MG 'T' SOCIETY LIMITED

Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  17:02:31  Show Profile
The sign still in it's original position in 1984

Go to Top of Page

Robert R

Austria
320 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2020 :  20:25:37  Show Profile
Hello Tony, hello John!
Thank you for your contributions with pictures. The company sign has been restored again and shines in new splendor. It's nice that the old things are valued and preserved (like our cars).

Robert (F1164)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000