Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J3755 progress.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

robert

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  22:16:27  Show Profile
That's the one
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
754 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2020 :  09:21:39  Show Profile
Is one of then an oscifer of the law?

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

robert

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2020 :  12:45:16  Show Profile
"Monte Carlo you say sir?You're taking a gamble in that little car"
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2020 :  20:31:43  Show Profile
R A C man surely
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2020 :  21:35:32  Show Profile
RAC, or a very incompetent plain clothes policeman.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

tjackson

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2020 :  05:43:13  Show Profile
Two of the people in the 1933 Monte Carlo Rally photo are William Platt and Arthur Archer, the photo was taken at Folkestone prior to them crossing the Channel. Platt had recently purchased the J3 after visiting Cecil Kimber and Archer was a test driver for Morris and MG, sent by the factory in support and to keep the works 'adjustments' under wraps. They set off from Abingdon to start the Rally at John O'Groats in some of the worst recorded weather seen in the UK.

During Ron Grant’s ownership of J3755 he contacted the grandson of Arthur Archer who had letters that Archer had written home during the event from stopovers in Glasgow and Monaco. The freezing weather was experienced across all routes being used for the Monte Carlo that year, with the J3 finishing 4th in the 1,500cc class and ahead of G.Wright in the prototype K3 (K3751) which struggled in the winter conditions. Platt then took part in the associated rally competitions around Monaco and was successful in winning the 750cc class at the Monte de Mules Hill Climb.

Good things, J-types.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
754 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2020 :  08:54:03  Show Profile
Goodness it must have been freezing for them with no heaters or screen defrosters. I remember what it was like driving around in the winter of 1962/3. Our office was in an old Georgian house in Gentlemans Row in Enfield and it was heated with coal fires, those of us juniors with old cars would fight for a place next to the fires to thaw out, as for the screens frosting I use to drive with the screen down it was the only way to see, brrr it was cold.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 13/07/2020 08:54:39
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1875 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2020 :  09:26:27  Show Profile
Freezing fog was the worst; no option but to drive with the screen flat.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2020 :  10:18:54  Show Profile
To carry the story on a little bit more, Nev has made contact with A W Archer's grandson Peter who has visited Gosport to inspect Nev's workmanship and subsequently Peter and his wife came along to The Leather Bottle to see the MMM cars which used to have a monthly meeting there in the good old days ! Peter works abroad in the oil industry but he is delighted to have renewed contact with J3755 and is looking forward to having a ride in the car in due course.

On the subject of cold weather, immediately before I got my first MMM car, in 1956, I spent 18 months of my young life in Berlin driving around in open Jeeps and Land Rovers and winters in Berlin are long (three months) and very cold (ice and snow everywhere). Fortunately we were provided with U.S. Army tank crews fleece lined suits and ear protectors to prevent frostbite. Eventually we were supplied with a few Austin Champs which were not pleasant to drive (all round i.f.s. plus a high centre of gravity) but we discovered a
small inspection hatch on the transmission tunnel which if unscrewed allowed a tiny a mount of warmth to seep up into the driver/passenger area. Made life almost bearable at 4.0 o'clock in the morning.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 13/07/2020 10:20:13
Go to Top of Page

tjackson

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2020 :  11:17:34  Show Profile
A photo from Motorsport showing one of the British competitors, perhaps the skinny tyres on the J3 were an advantage ...

Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1875 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2020 :  12:32:45  Show Profile
The softies have the hood up; you can't do that with the windscreen down!
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2020 :  14:34:44  Show Profile
I an pleased to see my travel trunk is almost the same as an original fitting, I have not shown it before fearing ridicule from the Originality Police but now feel empowered to do so

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2020 :  18:14:22  Show Profile
I wonder did they actually use antifreeze?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2020 :  21:11:27  Show Profile

Countess Pamela Moy, J3752, Paris-St Raphael Rally, February 1934.

John.
J3752
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2020 :  13:27:18  Show Profile
It was an absolute pleasure in producing the seats and most of the interior trim for Nev. He is going to try and cover the easier panels himself, despite losing his sight. I'm in reserve if he can't quite manage it.
The crisp MG motif embossed in leather here is thanks to Rich Hardy's hardware. I produce anybody's door pocke5s like this, message me.
Nev is a lovely, old school gent and we've had many phone conversations, mainly about non MG matters :-)
He speaks very fondly of you Colin and those who have helped him :-)

Regards James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000