Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 A Topic I have moderated
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2020 :  00:41:54  Show Profile
There was a post here from one of our suppliers criticising another supplier. Regardless of the rights or wrongs of this criticism I will not allow this behaviour on our forum. I have moved the complete topic to my private forum pending guidance from the Committee. Please do not respond in any way to what was posted, I will delete any such posts without comment.
Nick

Webmaster

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2020 :  21:42:43  Show Profile
Postings made on the Forum.
Yesterday’s posting by Mr. Richard Hardy on the Triple-M website forum, now deleted by the Webmaster, has raised significant concerns both to a party who perceives themselves to be the object of Mr Hardy‘s criticism as well as to the Triple-M Register committee and the MG Car Club (the MGCC).

It is perhaps timely to remind all users of the Forum that the views expressed on the Forum are solely those of the parties who make postings to the Forum. That remains the case regardless of whichever area of the Forum a posting appears in.

Neither the Register committee nor the Register or the MGCC accept responsibility for any such postings. These principles have long been established and are clearly set out in the Policies area of this website.

The Webmaster has the Register committee’s full support in any action he deems it necessary to take if a posting is found to infringe any of these policies and the Register’s other requirements.

All readers should please refer to the following posting, made six years ago, but which nevertheless remains relevant today.
https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8010
This was just one of the many occasions then when the committee has had to intervene to deal with unacceptable behaviour on the Forum. The committee reserves the right to regulate and take action against anybody whom it considers to have breached the Register’s policies.

Disputes between owners and third parties
Please also note that the MGCC and/or the Register has no power to intervene in any dispute between an MGCC Member or even a non-member and a trader. These are matters for the parties themselves to resolve.

Duty of mutual good faith and trust and sanctions
The MGCC and the Register expects all who are involved with the Triple-M movement to operate on the basis of mutual good faith and trust. If any owner or trader considers that these principles are being breached or offended in any way then it is important that this is brought directly to the attention of the committee together with supporting evidence in order that the matter can be considered. The committee will not act on any hearsay comments whether they be from another owner or anybody who claims to be representing the interests of an owner.

If upon enquiry it is found that a complaint is justified, then the MGCC and/or the Register will make known its findings in an appropriate manner and will expect the party responsible to take steps to rectify the shortcoming. In the case of persistent failure, the Register reserves the right to apply appropriate sanctions.

Statement approved by the MGCC Triple-M Register Committee 26 June 2020
Dick Morbey
Committee Secretary
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
960 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2020 :  13:55:12  Show Profile
"In the case of persistent failure, the Register reserves the right to apply appropriate sanctions."

Maybe, I have missed something, but I feel that in the interests of clarity, it would have helped understanding if the Register had issued a statement detailing the sanction imposed on Mr Hardy.

JOHN JAMES
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2020 :  14:54:15  Show Profile
As Colin Butchers has just said in another thread - Richard H has been banned to the Naughty Step

Serious condemnation.
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2020 :  20:52:35  Show Profile
Please read Nick's comment carefully. Richard's transgression was for a violation of a rule that is clear in Nick's statement. Richard's integrity as a supplier and as a contributor to this Forum is not questioned. Richard knowledge is valuable to this Forum and our hobby and I hope he returns very soon.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2020 :  17:32:11  Show Profile
This topic is cropping up all over the Forum and emotions are clearly running high in some quarters.

PeterL says, in one thread, that he thinks this is an area where the Committee could do better. I agree and I think a step in the right direction would be for the members to be informed whenever anyone is "banned" and the Committee should give their reasons.

"Banning" a supplier who increasingly uses Facebook for his business punishes members like me who don't use Facebook and never will.

My recollection of the offending post may not be the best but I do recall it was about Richard carrying out work for a customer to rectify unspecified issues with unspecified goods or services provided by an un-named supplier. The point being made, I think, was that owners - especially new ones - should do their homework before spending their money. To this day I don't know who the parties were or what the problem was so I can't see what rules have been broken - hence my request that we be told should it happen again.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
728 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2020 :  18:05:59  Show Profile
Yes Brian, it's been quite a lot of smoke and mirrors...with not too many actual facts. Well not as far as I can see, but I stand to be corrected.

Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2020 :  19:55:41  Show Profile
Brian & Paul
My initial post to start this topic explains what happened. Dick's post above (#2) explains succinctly what action was taken. There are no "smoke and mirrors" simply guidelines and policies that are there to ensure fair play and treatment for all. Be assured that any such action is not taken lightly or without careful consideration.

Here are the guidelines:
1. The Triple-M Register Committee’s aim in setting up this website and the Forum was to support owners by enabling the giving and sharing of information and providing access to knowledge that is so necessary in rebuilding, maintaining and enjoying our cars.
2. In doing this we depend on everyone’s goodwill and co-operation right across the community. The Register wishes to encourage fair play by all concerned;
3. Therefore please resist the temptation to use the Forum to berate, disparage or defame other people;
4. If an individual has a gripe about service received, the forum is not the place to air it. The individual should take the matter up with the trader or supplier with whom he has an issue. If the complainant is a MGCC member, he may refer it to the Triple-M Register committee for our consideration and investigation, if deemed appropriate. All information given is treated in the strictest of confidence;
5. Contributions to this Forum and dealings involving enthusiasts and traders should be based on a high level of mutual respect with fairness being a key principle;
6. We have formal rules which apply to all users of this website – see http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/mgccpolicy.asp We are reluctant to wield a big stick in policing the website, but will not hesitate to do so if the circumstances warrant it.

Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2020 :  14:22:07  Show Profile
Nick,

I have read again the rules and guidelines but I'm still of the opinion that in this case the interpretation was harsh and the punishment Draconian. The Committee does indeed have a big stick to wield but let's not forget that the members gave it to them in the first place and the members might not always be happy with how it gets used.

I think a little more consistency and transparency would be in order in this area hence my suggestions that:

1 The membership should be told when anyone is "banned" - suspended is perhaps a better word.
2 The Committee should explain their reasons so that we don't make the same mistakes.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2020 :  16:24:32  Show Profile
Brian,

Members were told when, in this instance, someone was banned for a period of time from contributing to this Forum. See Nick's and Dick's postings at the head of this thread. As to how the rest of us don't make the same mistake that is simple - don't transgress the Forum rules as explained in Nick's last posting.

Nick,

If the Committee and MGCC members on the Forum are happy for this topic to be discussed further can I suggest the whole thing is moved into the MGCC members only area? This will ensure the duties of the Committee and actions taken to uphold those duties are debated only by those who are eligible to vote them in. I'm not saying people who have voiced opinions so far are not MGCC members (we don't have any way of telling) but it would stop any mischief from some who are not, as has occasionally happened in the past.

Terry
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2020 :  16:36:29  Show Profile
Please - enough.
The word "banned" has not to my knowledge been used by anyone other than third party posters.
This is a public forum (open to x billion readers world wide). As such, no such "clarification" will be give here, only to any individual/s directly involved.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2020 :  23:47:32  Show Profile
I think this topic has been debated enough. I will lock this now
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly