Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 HV8 & HV5 carburetters
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SimonRoope

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2020 :  14:31:49  Show Profile
Good afternoon

I have an interest in SU’s company history and the evolution of their carburetter design and materials used in the pre and post war periods.

A valuable source of information has been SU’s factory literature, particularly ‘General Information Sheets’, List No 121, published in 1950 or 51, that details the spec number, main part numbers and needles of carburetters fitted to pre-war and 1940s vehicles. The page of MG cars is below.

Of particular interest is the HV8. The literature suggests the HV8 carburetter was fitted originally only to the K3 supercharger and I’d be very interested to know if any members think differently. This carburetter is therefore rare and the opportunities to view originals are few and far between. The functionality of Burlen reproductions is good but their parts do not always strictly adhere to the original designs. Burlen’s offering for the HV8 fuel chamber 1/4” BSP holding up bolt is stainless steel, which is obviously incorrect and I question the profile. I’d like to machine a reproduction that is faithful to the original bolt and am seeking to establish it’s profile and original material. Can anybody help? To just know the external profile would be a huge step forward and any detailed photos of this bolt fitted in situ would be greatly appreciated.

To add to the mix is the fact there are two SU 3” diameter float chambers; the difference being the rate of fuel flow into the main body. The HV8 fuel chamber has a 1/4” BSP holding up bolt and the HV5 a smaller 3/8” BSP bolt. These two fuel chambers share the same lid, the design of which changed during the war. SU expanded production from the original Morris factory in Adderley Park to multiple sites so the text cast on the top of lids was changed from ‘SU Adderley Park Birmingham’ to ‘SU Carburetter Co Ltd Birmingham’. The area of the void above the needle also increased, changing the end profile of the inlet on the top of the lid from a bullnose to bow-tie shape. On the underside, a central pillar was added to the fork mount; presumably to control the movement of the fork to improve the inlet of fuel. It is therefore easy to identify if a 3” lid fitted to a MG HV8 or HV5 is original or if it is a later post war replacement. Contrary, I think, to most members I am seeking a later post war bow-tie lid and if anybody has an original they are willing to sell or swap with the original pre-war bullnose lid I own I would be very pleased to hear from them.

Many thanks
Simon

07967 655594
sroope@aol.com

KJ1592

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2020 :  17:41:17  Show Profile
This has been listed on prewarcar:

https://www.prewarcar.com/307139-hv8-1-7-8-su

May be of interest?

Cheers,
Ian
Go to Top of Page

SimonRoope

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2020 :  15:53:31  Show Profile
Thanks Ian

Also for sale on this site: https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18265 The fuel chamber is a Burlen reproduction and, unfortunately for my research, has a 3/8” not 1/4” holding up bolt.

Simon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000