Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Mike Allison reasearched and transcribed records
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2021 :  20:02:56  Show Profile
Dick and Forum:

Not whishing to cut across Robert R.'s post.
I will start a new thread.
My question is Mike Allison's transcribed records; are they available?
If so where please.
All the best.

John Bakewell

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2021 :  20:19:20  Show Profile
John, this crossed with the posting I have just made on the Robert thread!

The data obtained by Mike Allison's researches forms part of the Register's records which now reside within our secure database.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2021 :  20:29:53  Show Profile
Dick and Forum:

Are there any plans to make this material available to the forum.?
Pity to let high value research remain in purdah .
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Teifion

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2021 :  22:27:13  Show Profile
Does 'secure database' mean members have access to it Dick?

Teifion
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  06:12:54  Show Profile
Teifion, please refer to my posting at https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19211 which comments on the means by which owners may obtain access to their personal details and information concerning their car/s (but no others).

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
938 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  07:38:52  Show Profile
The work and resulting records produced by Mike Allison are his copyright unless he has expressly assigned it to some other body.

On that basis can you confirm that he accepts that the records should be retained within a 'secure database' and access controlled by the MMM committee to criteria defined by that committee.

It would be more than interesting to hear from Mike, his view on this.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  09:18:36  Show Profile
Yes, confirmed.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Teifion

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  09:27:44  Show Profile
Thanks Dick#128077;

Teifion
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  11:13:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JCB

Dick and Forum:

Are there any plans to make this material available to the forum.?
Pity to let high value research remain in purdah .

John,
Just to be clear - are you seriously suggesting that the data that the Register, and thus the MG Car Club, holds on factory production, which you yourself say is 'high value research', should just be published, for free, on an Internet forum?

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 30/01/2021 11:13:59
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  12:07:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Bowers

The work and resulting records produced by Mike Allison are his copyright unless he has expressly assigned it to some other body.

On that basis can you confirm that he accepts that the records should be retained within a 'secure database' and access controlled by the MMM committee to criteria defined by that committee.

It would be more than interesting to hear from Mike, his view on this.

Ian,
I think you'll find that any copyright is held by the MG Car Club. My understanding is that what Mike did was to transcribe some of the data from the chassis files owned by the Club into Excel spreadsheets for use by the Club.

Frankly, the idea that these should then be made freely available on a public Internet forum is bizarre.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
938 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  12:43:36  Show Profile
Copyright to original material, and the work Mike did was unquestionably that, irrespective of the sources, is owned by the author who retains the right to make and distribute copies of any or all of it for their lifetime and 50 years after. The copyright can be licensed, transferred, sold or gifted but this requires a signed assignment.

It is not for me to say whether they should be freely available. I was simply pointing out that this right lies solely with the owner of the copyright and was asking for his views.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  13:31:55  Show Profile
Ian,
Have a look at ‘The Copyright and Rights in Databases Regulations, 1997’. In there you’ll see that database copyright, if indeed it exists this case, is limited to 15 years from the creation of the database, not 50.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
938 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  16:13:20  Show Profile
Simon, I hope this discussion doesn't err to another 3 page epic to bore the majority of readers! But, extracted from a solicitor's web site:

"A database is a wide definition which will cover traditional mailing lists and lists of customers as well as telephone directories, encyclopaedias and card indexes, whether held electronically or in paper form. There is however a distinction to be drawn between a database and its individual components. Database right protects the collection of data, not its constituent elements. These elements may or may not be protected in their own right separately from any protection afforded to the database as a whole."

Which suggests the author continues to own the copyright of the content of the database for the period to and beyond death, but copyright of the format lasts only 15 years from its authorship.

Which leaves it to be far more confusing than I suspected.

Still, what is the view of the copyright owner as to accessibility?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  16:40:57  Show Profile
Ian,
Article 17 of the above Regulations

17.—(1) Database right in a database expires at the end of the period of fifteen years from the end of the calendar year in which the making of the database was completed.

You may presume that the creator of the database is the copyright owner but when the creator is a member of a club and is using the data provided by the club to create something for the club it’s hard to see how he then gets copyright over the result. I would have thought that there is an analogy with an employee creating a database for his or her employer; the employee doesn’t own the copyright, the employer does.

Edit: What? We’re still page one? Must try harder

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 30/01/2021 16:42:03
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  17:15:01  Show Profile
Come on chaps we are already bored - have your discussions about copyright off line if you really must.

TH
Go to Top of Page

gsrun

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  17:23:42  Show Profile
Well said TH - I am sure many of us agree with you!
Graham R.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000