Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Anyone seen this before?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paul55

Luxembourg
728 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2021 :  07:24:56  Show Profile
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=331545221&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=17300&makeModelVariant1.modelId=1&maxFirstRegistrationDate=1949-12-31&pageNumber=1&scopeId=C&sfmr=false&sortOption.sortBy=searchNetGrossPrice&sortOption.sortOrder=ASCENDING&searchId=31852217-7b0e-c699-296f-7b915b21fa12

translation:
Ex-Mölders six-cylinder machine:

At the end of the 30s, Heinz Mölders and his racing club Offenburg attracted attention. His artfully prepared MG sports cars were able to hold their own in the German racing scene. With this car, Heinz Mölders took first place twice in "Rund um Schotten" in 1939/1947 (see excerpt from MG-Die Liebe zum Sportwagen) started again at the Nürburgring and at the Solitude. On the detailed photo, the car can be recognized by the radiator grille, the hood brackets are still identical, the upper wishbone speaks for the independent wheel suspension of the front axle of the BMW 328 mentioned in the book.

Further research in 2014 showed the car on two photos and the Solitude program booklets Eifelrennen 1950 with W. Sturzebecher. Both photos showed the Eggberg Race body variant, but with stripes over the bonnet. A contemporary witness confirmed that the MG chassis had been picked up from W. Sturzebecher at that time. It was the frame, two rear leaf springs and the rear axle. Sturzebecher had already sold the MG Magnette engine. H. Mölders bought three MG TA in England and later got a 6-cylinder Magnette engine from C. Kimber at a reasonable price.

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2021 :  13:06:11  Show Profile
Is this the Molders that worked with Kohlrausch on EX127 and EX154 supposedly selling the latter after the war to a lady in France?

Bob
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1899 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2021 :  14:27:08  Show Profile
An observation: RHD in the old photo's (photo 7) and LHD in the current ones?

Edited by - coracle on 08/10/2021 14:29:58
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1485 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2021 :  11:02:28  Show Profile
Bob. I think that this is certainly the same H Molders who was involved with EX154. According to The Hawke Book of MMM Competition Cars, Molders was part of the Offenburg Racing Team together with Dr Rolf Spindler and Dr Artur Wiswedel. Spindler is quoted as being the owner of EX154 but in July 1946 Molders drove the car in the Ruhestein Bergrennen (presumably a hill-climb event.) Subsequently Molders sold the car to the French lady. Presumably Spindler gave his permission for the sale, assuming that he had survived the war.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2021 :  15:56:17  Show Profile
A hillclimb indeed. Actually the first officially organised event in Germany after WW2. 100 bikes and twenty cars in the entry. Hermann Lang won the car class in the BMW used by von Hanstein and Baumer to win the 1940 Brescia race. It even has its own German Wikipedia page.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhestein-Bergrennen

And a book entirely dedicated to it. Out of print, but second-hand copies do turn up sometimes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruhestein-Bergrennen-Neubeginn-deutschen-Motorsports/dp/3981210603
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2021 :  15:07:23  Show Profile
Thank you Colin and Richard for the information which has made me look up my notes on EX154. Karl Wiessmann has confirmed that the two Molders I referred to in my first post are the one and the same.

In the interests of accuracy my earlier reference to EX154 being sold to a lady in France may not be correct as my notes indicate that in 1946 the car either in it's original or modified condition was disposed / sold to a french lady working for the armed forces in Germany.

Thanks to the links provided it would appear that the hill climb in question was held in the French sector of Germany as the licence was granted by the French Military Government.

All this may seem quite irrelevant except my notes indicate that prior to the car in whatever state arriving in Australia it was in Guiana which was and is a french territory used for rocket launches and which one would assume had a french military presence.

So is this how the car got to Guiana? Perhaps the car was in the ownership of military families who moved around the world.

The trials and tribulations of trying to find Triple-M histories.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2021 :  17:21:03  Show Profile
There appears to be some information on the car here:

(Scroll down for photos)

https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/2015-44/solved-wendax-1776-mg-ta-na-special-by-heinz-molders-in-its-postwar-guise/25/

John
J3752
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2021 :  14:22:46  Show Profile
Sackcloth and ashes!

My earlier post concerning EX154 was incorrect regarding the whereabouts of the car after the war as it was in New Guinea not Guiana for a few years before being exported to Australia.

A small point but not wishing to confuse any Triple-M historians.

Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000