Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 RA 261 R Type re-creation.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

coracle

United Kingdom
1886 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2021 :  16:59:46  Show Profile
For interest there is an article on this car with some nice photo's on pages 80 to 88 in issue 223,January 2022 edition of Octane magazine.

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6008 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2021 :  17:06:57  Show Profile
It also features in Safety Fast! This month.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2021 :  10:57:06  Show Profile
Quite a few of us raved about this car when its creator Geoff Enoch displayed it at Brooklands M.G. Era Day - possibly three years ago. I am pleased that the rest of the classic car brotherhood is at long last catching up with us.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2021 :  15:10:33  Show Profile
Having seen this car a number of times it never ceases to amaze me and is a real tribute to Geoff's ability and I was pleased to help in a small way by providing some copies of original MG drawings. The car is a first class tool room copy in my view and should not be referred to as a replica, recreation or a continuity as used by some.

I mention this because in the previous issue of Safety Fast there was a picture of this car with the bold headline MG R TYPE RA0261 which of course is incorrect. In fairness the subsequent article made it clear that this was mot an original R type. But misuse of this photo and caption at some future time could lead to more historical headaches.

Especially as one well known MG book by an author close to Mr. MG states that another chassis was built in addition to the original 10 for use with an improved rear suspension layout. This revised suspension was applied to one of the original 10 cars.

Hope I am not being too pedantic but just look at the numerous historical problems of the past 60 years still being resolved.

Bob Ex RA0257 and 8.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6008 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2021 :  17:17:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by McEvoy

Especially as one well known MG book by an author close to Mr. MG states that another chassis was built in addition to the original 10 for use with an improved rear suspension layout. This revised suspension was applied to one of the original 10 cars.

That chassis will probably be 'found' in Ireland any day now
P.S. A quick peruse of Karl Wiessmann's The Hawke History of MMM Competition Cars shows this extra chassis to be in the Beer collection.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 28/11/2021 17:38:21
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2021 :  14:42:03  Show Profile
Simon
You are correct the chassis is in the Beer collection but not an extra chassis to the original 10 but one of them
Bob
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6008 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2021 :  15:32:55  Show Profile
Thanks for clarifying this, Bob. I hadn’t looked at the R Type entries in detail. So the extra chassis still remains to be 'found' in Ireland?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000