Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Anyone sent a dynamo U.K. to U.S.A. ?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Westbury

United Kingdom
1954 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2021 :  21:15:12  Show Profile

Hello, Forum.
I have been having problems sending an MG dynamo from the U.K. to the U.S.A.
Could anyone who has successfully sent one of these or something very similar please advise ? Parcel Force returned a dynamo to me without proper explanation merely saying it had failed an X Ray test then had the cheek to charge me £20 for ‘handling charge’
Other carriers are requiring evidence that the item has been ‘professionally cleaned’
Any help would be gratefully received and I would like to publicly thank Lew Palmer (the buyer) for his patience.
Many thanks,
Chris

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2021 :  22:02:02  Show Profile
Chris, I'm afraid I cannot help you however, may I ask what Parcel Force were proposing to charge you? The best rebuilders of MGA dampers are Stateside but these things are heavy, like a dynamo, so the idea of a pair being sent to me and a dead pair going the other way is probably a no-no.

Thanks in anticipation,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1954 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2021 :  23:16:10  Show Profile

Thanks, Dave.
Parcel Force charged £145 for the parcel to be delivered. Weight is just over 9kg.
Chris
Go to Top of Page

TCTom

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2021 :  04:33:51  Show Profile
Chris, if Lew isn't in a big hurry for it you could ship it to my shipping agent near Hounslow. It could be added to my crate shipping to Indiana, probably late November. Lew's shipping costs would be greatly reduced, and it simplifies things. Talk with Lew and let me know if the two of you want to do this.

Tom Wilson
Zionsville, IN USA
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2021 :  07:55:30  Show Profile
Any international courier service will take the goods, requiring you to complete the usual declaration including the classification of the type of good which presumably you identified for Parcel Force.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1954 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2021 :  08:18:08  Show Profile

Tom.
Thanks very much for your offer of help. I will contact Lew and see what he thinks and get back to you.
Ian.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I completed all the forms correctly, it’s a mystery to me why they sent it back. What did they expect to see in an X-ray of a dynamo ?
Regards to you both,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2021 :  10:03:17  Show Profile
At a guess I would think that to the average x-ray machine operator there would be a similarity between a dynamo and a bomb i.e lots of wires and a central solid metal core. I have read somewhere that it is always best to describe an item being exported as a "vintage car part".

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
399 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2021 :  11:29:16  Show Profile
It's asking a lot of an x-ray operator who has no experience of what a "vintage car part" may be and even less room for discretion to be able to decide what is safe and what is not. After all he/she is acting to keep us safe, or that is the official line, and we all want that don't we? If simply labelling something "correctly" worked the bad guys would be doing just that. These problems are the cost of of relying on technology to provide the answers to our every fear. Perhaps we need to learn to like and trust each oher before this quest for security eventually overwhelms us.

Ian

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2021 :  21:04:25  Show Profile
Thanks Chris. I always thought this was a non-starter! I seem to remember these are 26k each....both ways.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000