Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Jensen bodied car
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2019 :  14:40:28  Show Profile
Our esteemed Registrar came up with some "old" photographs in some files, and one of an M type had a "Jensen" sign on the front shroud.
I sent a copy of the picture to the Jensen Club and they are quite excited!
I also have a reference to an advertisement in the Sports Car of October 1938 page 408, for a Jensen bodied 4 seater in Red and Black with red wheels that was first registered November 1931, with a chassis number of 2M2929.
Is anybody able to check that reference please in the Sports Car?
I wonder if anybody out there has any more information on the car, and if anybody in the Gloucester area is able to go to the Gloucester Archives and look up the registration number, please, I would very much like to hear from them. (The DG 3457 registration number is of course Gloucestershire and the registration books are still available).
Maybe another off the list!!

Mike Dalby

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2019 :  19:58:56  Show Profile
Ted Hack kindly went to the Gloucester Archives and proved that it is the Jensen bodied car 2M2929 first registered 2 December 1931, owned originally by a P. S. Haggie in Toddington, Gloucestershire
The last licence expired 30 September 1941 with a A. Deacon 99, Hays Lane, Earley, Berkshire! Not on Google maps, so may have been built over! Anybody know?

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2019 :  13:10:20  Show Profile
I wonder if that date indicates that Mr Deacon was called up into active service. If he then failed to return, his car may have been scrapped. I checked the 1939 Register but there is no sign of him at that address and, like Mike, I have been unable to find a reference anywhere to Hays Lane. If it had a number 99, it must have been of significant length. Maybe its name was changed. I managed to find some old maps on line but there is insufficient detail to see individual road names. Maybe someone living nearby could visit Reading library to see if they can help. So far, the usual genealogical sources have yielded nothing.

The Earley area has been absorbed into Reading. It is home of Reading University and there has been much development, with the nearby Woodley aerodrome now disappeared under a housing estate. (Bader lost his legs there). The construction of the M4 also impacted on the road lay-out and it now forms the southern boundary of the Earley Town administrative area. It seems likely that one of these changes meant that Hays Lane disappeared.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2019 :  20:52:24  Show Profile
This is the copy of the registration details, and I think it s A. Deacon. What do you think?
Does anybody live in the area to check, please?

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
701 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2019 :  21:08:06  Show Profile
Well, 99 Mays Lane Earley Reading comes up on Google Maps OK but it is Mays Lane not Hays Lane.
Sorry I'm not local to check.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2019 :  21:10:53  Show Profile
Try Mays Lane, it is still there!

Regards

Darn! Keith beat me to it!

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 26/02/2019 21:11:59
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2019 :  15:16:11  Show Profile
The residents of No.99 in 1939 were Frederick P.H. Smallbone and his wife Lorna, aged 27 & 28. He is described as a "Sales Manager - Motor Factors" but, interestingly he is also a Sergeant in the RAF Voluntary Reserve. There are two other names at the address but both are blanked out, meaning that they are likely still to be alive, so they were probably children when the Register was compiled. It seems unlikely, with the onset of war, that the family would have moved house before 1941. The house is detached and looks as though it was probably built in the thirties. The cemetery at the end of the lane opened for business in 1936 so the houses may have been built at about the same time.

So how did Mr Deacon come to be at the address? A lodger? A serviceman billeted there? If he was not from the Reading area, it is very difficult to narrow down which A Deacon he is. The search continues.

Malcolm
M Type

Edited by - Malcolm Eades on 27/02/2019 15:17:29
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
938 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2019 :  16:30:36  Show Profile
The history of J3 3772 includes similar elements. It was sold by Roberts within days of the declaration of war, and bought back at the end of the war.

07/01/37 Herbert Thomas Roberts, 23 Gloucester Terrace London W1
colour of car shown in Log Book as ‘white’
06/01/38 HTR now at 262 Grove End Gardens, London NW8

08/09/39 M J Coleman, 21 Love Road, Felixstowe, Suffolk

07/11/1945 H T Roberts, 262 Grove End Gardens, London NW8

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Rob Hughes

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2019 :  21:50:47  Show Profile
I had quite a shock when carrying out a google search on Jensen bodied MG's to see this photo. It is the car which was owned by my father in the early 1930's when he lived in Bristol. This photo together with two other shots of this car are in my family's collection. This photo is of my mother behind the wheel taken probably on Moor Road between Portishead and Clevedon near a level crossing on the former Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Light Railway . The other photos which I have only as negatives show my father at the wheel from a side view and another front view with my father and mother's brother wearing floppy cap and trilby ! Great period shots. Father must have owned the car until about 1936 when having been married the previous year moved to Portishead and bought an Austin Ten Clifton two seater. My father used to tell many stories of adventures with my uncle who owned a J2 visiting the night spots around Bristol. He was one of those fortunate to have a good job at this time and to afford a car like this.

When I am able to get the remaining photos printed I shall post them for information.

Robert Hughes
J2121

RCA Hughes
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
669 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2019 :  04:14:06  Show Profile
Does this mean PS Haggie is actually PS Hughes?
Go to Top of Page

Rob Hughes

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2019 :  10:06:48  Show Profile
No, my father was not the original owner. He bought the car second hand from a garage in Clifton, Bristol probably in 1932 or 1933. Sadly he is no longer with us to confirm dates.

Robert Hughes
J2121
Go to Top of Page

ht1962

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2019 :  11:35:42  Show Profile

Image rotated by Nick
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2019 :  12:06:48  Show Profile

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2019 :  12:08:21  Show Profile
Wonderful that you recognise the car Robert. All adds to the story of the car! I look forward to seeing the other pictures of the car, especially the side view showing the four seat body, and as I said before the Jensen 'boys' will also be interested!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2019 :  17:44:28  Show Profile
And which C-type is that for sale at what looks like £95?

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2019 :  18:10:59  Show Profile
It’s really not good for your health to read these old advertisements

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page