Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Looking For Info On MGJ2 APK 438 or Mrs Dobson
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mk1

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2020 :  15:54:27  Show Profile
Hi, I am looking for any information anyone may have on MGJ2 APK 438 or it's original owner Miss EM Dobson.

E. M. Dobson rallied APK extensively during the 30's competing in at least 2 RAC Rallies & a Scottish. She was also an active member of the JCC.

Women competitors start from Great West Road in RAC rally.
76 of 318 entrants in the Royal Automobile Club rally started from the Ace of Spades garage on the Great West Road.
The finishing point of the rally is Torquay. All cars have to cover about 1000 miles at a fixed average speed of 24 miles an hour of arriving at Torquay on Thursday. There are eight other starting places besides London.
Photo shows, Miss E M Dobson filming her sister Miss M J Dobson who is fixing of the RAC flag to their MG.
They are watched by another woman competitor, Miss J Hughes.
24 March 1936

In weak sunshine Mrs Sheerer & Mrs Dobson dressed for battle push their MG to the start of the thousand miles at the ace of spades by the Kingston Crossroads march 1936.

Scottish rally 1936? No further info.

Any help in researching this very interesting J2 & its dashing lady owner would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

Mark F

Edited by - mk1 on 09/07/2020 15:55:11

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2020 :  17:49:25  Show Profile
What fabulous photos. The car was J3611, colour green ( looks like a duotone) with green upholstery. It was sold through Jarvis & Sons of Wimbledon and was first registered on 11 October 1933 to a Miss M.J.Dobson (not Miss E.M. Dobson) of Burton on Trent. As far as I can determine, nowt else is known of the car. Interestingly, the next car down the line, J3612/AUF 69 featured on this thread last weekend - https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18154

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2020 :  23:06:57  Show Profile

A more recent picture
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  00:07:11  Show Profile
Have you not received your copy of Safety Fast for July, Simon?
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  07:32:56  Show Profile
I have indeed but I must admit I didn’t make the connection.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

mk1

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  09:08:05  Show Profile
Thanks for the info so far. Much appreciated. The image above is of my Mum & Dad a few years ago, just after dad had finished the resto.

That part of it's history is pretty well known to me, it is it's earlier life with the Dobson Sisters that I am currently trying to get to the bottom of.

Thanks,

Mark F
Go to Top of Page

mk1

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  09:48:32  Show Profile
Sorry I got my Dobson sisters muddled up.

Mark F
Go to Top of Page

mk1

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2021 :  08:50:38  Show Profile
David Grimstead03 November 2020, 00:27
Elizabeth Mary Dobson had a younger car-rallying sister, Moyra Jean Dobson. They were the daughters of Ernest Dobson, a Boer War veteran and London-based electrical engineer who lived at Drakelowe House, Burton-on-Trent from at least 1922 to 1939. They were nieces of Councillor J. D. Robertson, a local brewery director who owned that house until 1948. They were not related to the Sussex, racing-driver Dobson brothers Arthur, Austin and Edmund.

A web-search of “m j dobson rac” should find an image of Elizabeth filming her sister preparing her MG for the 1936 RAC Rally, for which both were entrants. There are four more on the Motoring Picture Library website of her rallying ALT551 in Scotland also in 1936.

Competitive spirit was emerging when “Miss Dobson of Drakelowe House”, likely Moyra, won a local reliability trial for open cars at the Marchington Church Fete in June 1934. The sister’s father Ernest was their motoring mentor; he held a clean driving licence from 1902 until he died aged 92 in 1972.

Between them, the sisters drove several cars. Both started the 1934 Scottish Rally from Gretna Green; Elizabeth in her plush Rover and Moyra in her basic MG. Elizabeth failed to finish the Welsh rally in the Rover in July 1935 but was placed in the 1936 Scottish. Moyra drove her MG in the 1934 RAC Rally, a Riley in the July 1936 Welsh, an MG in the 1936 RAC and a Bugatti in the 1938 Welsh.

Elizabeth was not wholly loyal to the Rover, being entered to drive an OM in the September 1937 Junior Car Club Annual Reliability Trial from Wilton to Ilfracombe, when she was the only woman to finish out of four who started. She was entered again for the September 1938 Junior Car Club event in an OM.

Their father had helped to establish British interest in winter sports in Switzerland between the wars; hence, Elizabeth was a successful member of the 1930s English Ski Team. Remaining unmarried, she took up farming in 1941, to breed prize-winning highland and Nashend Farm spotted ponies, dying in 1966. Moyra had married Lt-Colonel H. W. King in 1939, when her sister gave her a cabinet of tools as a wedding present; she lived beyond 1974 when she was still only 60.

Mark F
Go to Top of Page

mk1

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2021 :  08:52:18  Show Profile
Adam is now in contact with Mrs Dobson's nephew who still has a large amount of info & memorabilia collected by his dashing Aunt.

Mark F
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2021 :  13:26:14  Show Profile
Hello Mark,

When he got in touch with me the other day over seeing his Mum and Aunt in the first SF! (the Feb issue) he received since joining, I understood him to actually be Moyra's son and Elizabeth's nephew and not Elizabeth's son?

Regards,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

mk1

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2021 :  15:37:58  Show Profile
Thanks for that correction Cathelijne, Adam is very pleased to have been put in touch.

Your help is much appreciated.

M

Mark F
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2021 :  15:53:23  Show Profile
Very happy to help, all exciting stuff !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000