Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 JB 859
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Westbury

United Kingdom
1950 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2021 :  20:58:25  Show Profile
Hello,everyone.

You can google Motor Sport May 1933 for the full report but it doesn’t reveal any further clues as to the registration number. (The reporter complains they were limited to 80 mph because the engine was still being run in !)
As Simon says, original photographs taken at the time may still be in existence in the Motor Sport archives.

Chris

Edited by - Westbury on 17/03/2021 21:03:13
Go to Top of Page

nick westbrook

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2021 :  11:00:46  Show Profile
Morning All
I think I've answered my own original question.
The Motor Sport report has another photograph - this time of the front with the cowl off showing the supercharger.
There is no sign of the number plate or any fixings - in the side-on shot the plate is affixed between the headlamps.
I think we can all safely conclude that K3004 was running on the firm's trade plates and that perhaps as it was bought solely for racing their first thought was to fit a lightweight body so why bother with all that road registration rubbish!
A check via Kithead Trust will show what car the currently fitted JB plate was allocated to - or if in fact it was allocated at all?
I'll try and find another interesting topic for discussion till the pubs re-open!
Nick
J2118

Happy days
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2021 :  14:51:23  Show Profile
In the 1930s there were two types of trade plates - General and Limited. General plates had white numbers on a red background and Limited had red numbers on a white background. Limited plates had very strict limits on their use (the clue is in the name!) but General plates, although considerably more expensive than Limited ones apparently, could be used for just about any purpose, no matter how tenuously connected to the motor trade. It was apparently quite common for people in the trade to use them all the time rather than be bothered registering a car.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1950 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2021 :  15:24:51  Show Profile

I don’t know, but I would have thought Abingdon would have registered the car especially for such esteemed customers such as Manby-Colgrave and in particular with his association with Adrian Squire who was a former employee and well thought of by MG.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2021 :  15:52:33  Show Profile
But perhaps they didn’t actually want it registered, knowing that if necessary they could use their trade plates?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

nick westbrook

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2021 :  17:03:55  Show Profile
I know that my J2 - Squire Motors Demonstrator was registered by Squire Motors rather than the works and Jonathan Wood makes reference to Adrian Squire buying his cars from MG's at a special discount so perhaps it was a case of saving even more pennies knowing how strapped for cash they were?
In the Squire book there is a letter from Adrian Squire to his future wife - with words to the effect that Jock M-C is mad buying the K3 when he only has to wait a month after April to get his Squire. They went to the factory to order it on 2nd February 1933. In fact he had to wait well over a year to get his Squire due to product delays etc.
Incidentally I did ask Jonathan Wood if was interested in writing another book, this time about the MG / Squire connection but he said that he was retiring from writing and his Squire book was in effect his Swansong. It is a superb book for those who have not read it - but not cheap.

Nick
J2118
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
226 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2021 :  08:36:53  Show Profile
Hi, The following is a reply received today from the Kithead trust regarding JB 1411.

"JB 1411 was actually an Austin, first registered 6.1.1933. It passed through several owners and was owned in Cardiff when finally delicensed in June 1958."

cheers
ross
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000