Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Liz' father's M-type
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reinout

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  02:52:15  Show Profile
A friend gave me this postcard of an MG M-Type. It is VG2910, in the Montagu Museum at Beaulieu. The card was sent, in 1964, to Miss. E. D. Marlow, by her mother who addressed her as “Darling Liz”. It describes a visit to the palace, abbey, and restaurant. The only car related remark is “ I tried to get Monthy’s car for you, but there was no photograph of it.”

It gets more interesting on the far left, right next to the description of the M, with “Daddy’s car”. Somewhere there might still be an M-Type around, which was owned by Liz’es father, maybe Mr. Marlow.

If you have that car, or know who does, I’d be happy to send this postcard.

PS the backside is in the first reply, along with the text as best as I was able to decipher.

Reinout Vogt
Emma
1931 M-Type 2M/2735

Reinout

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  02:53:42  Show Profile
Darling Liz,

I have sent Lorna? under a separate packet? as it is cheaper ???? has no letter.
I hope you enjoyed the locking? watches. I tried to get Monty’s car but there was no photograph of it. We must go there again and see the Palace & Abbey ? although the restaurant was part of the abbey I suppose. I think that daffodils will be out next week. I will write to mrs. Balty today & say 2nd to 6th. We shall look forward to it.

Love, Ma

Daddy’s car.

Reinout Vogt
Emma
1931 M-Type 2M/2735
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  06:31:54  Show Profile
Hello Reinout

Maybe the queried text reads:

I have sent Lorna under a separate packet? as it is cheaper provided it has no letter.
I hope you enjoyed the hockey matches.

Dick Morbey, Register Secretary
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
secretary@triple-mregister.org
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
698 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  09:49:54  Show Profile
That is interesting. When I bought my M type in 1964 my father sent me a similar postcard after he had visited Beaulieu. Many years later I heard "on the grapevine" that the car in question was actually a converted Morris Minor and that the museum were a bit cagey about letting people see the chassis stamping. Do we know if this is true?
Keith
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  11:00:22  Show Profile

John Thornley in a Morris Minor

This picture taken after the car was 'restored' by apprentices at Abingdon.

When originality did not count for much it seems chassis swaps were not so very unusual.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 02/08/2021 11:01:54
Go to Top of Page

semisport

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  12:42:34  Show Profile
While the car's Norfolk registration dates from July 1930, its M Type body sits upon a SV Minor chassis stamped SV 330. This chassis originally sat under one of the first SV Minor Saloons to leave Cowley in early February 1931. Source: Morris Motors Progress Books held at the British Motor Museum, Gaydon, Warwickshire

Chris
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  13:13:54  Show Profile

Perhaps by John Thornley's 'Laying on of Hands' the SV Minor has been transfigured into an MG.

I wonder if the July 1930 logbook VG 2910 has survived and has the original M-type chassis number.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
698 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  16:03:24  Show Profile
Ooooooh. Thanks Sam and Chris. That has confirmed a long held suspicion! You can't believe anything these days even in a museum!
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  22:53:32  Show Profile
The mentioned 'Monty's car' is presumably Field Marshal Montgomery's Humber Super Snipe, which is now in Coventry Motor Museum, on loan from Peugeot, as successors to Rootes Group of course. ISTR it was exhibited at Beaulieu at one time. The text in the link below is slightly incorrect, in that the several motor industry jubilee parades were in 1946 (not 1947) celebrating 50 years since the repeal of the 'Red Flag Act' in 1896. The only one I know of which definitely included Monty's car was in Belfast - where somebody pinched the union jack off it! - but I can believe that it was in some or all of the others, which were in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Manchester and on a 15-mile route from Coventry to Birmingham.

https://www.transport-museum.com/visiting/humber_super_snipe.aspx
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  09:56:33  Show Profile
According to the Register's records VG 2910 'is' 2M1291, a car which is recorded as having been built on 24 March 1930, released for sale on 3 April (Mann Egerton) and first registered on 10 July in the name of a certain H. Arnold of Norwich.

There is correspondence on file from 2001 which can best be summarised by a Bob Clare comment: "Strange chassis number on the car at Beaulieu"

Dick Morbey, Register Secretary
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
secretary@triple-mregister.org
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000