Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 I need some help
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2022 :  16:41:23  Show Profile
I have rewritten the software to (I hope) make it easier to find and display pictures taken at Triple-M events.
Now I am thinking how best to manage the task of adding pictures to that section.
I am of the opinion that most pictures benefit from a caption (specifically where, what car, who was in it etc.). Do you agree?

It is relatively easy for me to upload any number of pictures, but as I was not present I cannot add a caption and even if I had captions provided I simply do not have the time to sit and enter them.

Here are my current thoughts:
I could arrange to allow individual members who have pictures they have taken of an event, access to the "upload" process (either permanently or on a temporary basis). They could upload all the pictures at one time and then go through them one at a time and add a caption (if necessary) OR upload pictures one at a time along with its relevant caption (if there is one).
Login to the process would probably be by a username and password I would provide.

Please let me have you thoughts and ideas.

Once we have settled on a process, I would appreciate one or two people to try the software before going "live" as, whilst I test software and it always works for me (I wish!) it sometimes doesn't work for others (not due to any errors I have made, of course ).

Nick

Webmaster

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1545 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2022 :  20:25:20  Show Profile
Nick,
Whether it be photos of an event or photos of MMM components, may I suggest that our forum contributors consider downloading their photo(s) to MS PowerPoint then adding a 'Text Box' with a description, then saving again to a .jpg file(s) for onward posting to the forum.

Does this help?

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2022 :  20:38:56  Show Profile
Bruce,
I imagine very few of our subscribers would have PowerPoint. I could suggest increasing the canvas size in Photoshop and adding the text in the extra space, but I suspect that would be equally perplexing to the vast majority.

Nick,
I’d have to say that I think this is an optimistic idea. I could see it working - perhaps - if people were able to email their photos, with captions/text, to one person who was then prepared to handle adding the text and then doing the upload. But how would they then be stored? By event? By car model? By date? ???

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2022 :  20:51:34  Show Profile
PowerPoint is not necessary. Many drawing or paint packages (including the Paint that comes with Windows) have the ability to add text. Even the photos viewer on my Apple iPhone can add captions.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, NA0651
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2022 :  21:14:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LewPalmer

Even the photos viewer on my Apple iPhone can add captions.

But they seem to be only visible when viewed on an iPhone or iPad. I’ve added a caption to the photo I posted on this thread - https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=21331#107134. - but it’s not visible.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 04/08/2022 21:19:19
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2022 :  21:38:19  Show Profile
My new software (not yet visible) has a place for a caption for each picture so there is no need for any other software packages.
I think it might be an onerous task for one or two people to do the uploading etc and they would need to be given the caption for each picture anyway.
The new software searches by event, then date. If every picture had a caption I could also set up a search by the person's name.

Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2022 :  21:38:55  Show Profile
Simon
I see the words "The J one does indeed have elongated holes!".
Did you add any others?
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2022 :  22:12:06  Show Profile
Nick,

That was in my original post. I added a caption as Lew suggested using the iPad/iPhone Photos app but it’s only visible if using an iPad or iPhone, and only then in the original photo - not in the uploaded one.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 04/08/2022 22:13:03
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2022 :  23:08:51  Show Profile
I hope my new version would make the process simple and self evident. Suitable advice / instructions could be added at each stage (choose event from list, select a picture, upload it, add a caption. Add another or exit.

Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2022 :  09:09:59  Show Profile
Nick,
Is the intention to provide a better presentation of the photos already available here - https://www.triple-mregister.org/pictures_events_main.asp - along with a way for Forum subscribers to add their own photos with captions?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2022 :  12:05:30  Show Profile
Simon
Yes. Searching for events will be simple and I intend to make the upload process as simple as possible. There are a couple of issues surrounding the naming of certain events still to resolve, once that is done I will make the new system live.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2022 :  12:42:25  Show Profile
Ah, now I understand! <thumbs up!>

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic