Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Bringing in the new generation
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  23:46:12  Show Profile
Good to see so many interesting photos of the next generation. Bottom picture shows my three children about thirty years ago in a certain trials car...

Alexander now has his own PA and the photo shows him thrilling (scaring?!) his mother in the 2008 Kimber Sunday driving tests at Foz's.
He will be driving his family to this year's Kimber in Ian MacKay's K1 (thanks Ian !). Plenty of ongoing interest!

Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  12:50:46  Show Profile
Why do you not let him sit in the "certain" trials car again??javascript:insertsmilie('')

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  15:21:14  Show Profile
All in good time, Mike!
Working on it!

John R

Edited by - John Reid on 11/04/2016 15:23:10
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2016 :  03:58:51  Show Profile
I'm actually not too worried about there not being enough young people around to follow the old lot. Here in Holland we have a bunch of early-20-year-olds (Kevin Oudejans, Alexandra Fakkeldij, Jeroen & Stefan Bronkhorst), a bunch of early-30-year-olds (Onno Könemann, Rainier Karthaus, Koen Struijk), one late-30-year-old (that would be me even if only for a few more weeks) plus a few either-early-or-late-40-year-olds (Thijs de Groot, Albert Koolma) to name a few. All have either been properly infected by their parents or by their fellow generationists. We all started out in MGBs, BGTs, modern Midgets and MGAs and have gradually 'evolved' to Triple-M cars, each owning our own cars, so there is hope yet for all the (grand)children that have been mentioned in this thread.

And then of course there's plenty of young Brits actively involved: there's obviously Oliver Richardson, the afore mentioned Alex Reid, Robin Hamblett, Mark Dolton and Elizabeth Taylor and I'm sure I've left out a whole bunch still! I think I might even go as far as to include the Hawkes, Dears and Moores from amongst our ranks here to be considered young! Plus all those on here whom I do not know personally and therefore don't know their ages.

The only trouble I think is the rise in value: It just gets harder and harder for younger people to obtain entry-level cars, so here's a message to the oldies: settle for less when you sell and try and find a young buyer for it. After all, it's only money ! You never considered them as investments or as nice little inheritances for your children when you bought them anyway, did you?

Cheers,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2016 :  16:29:06  Show Profile

Here's a shot taken at Pre-War Prescott by Phil Jones last year which I think sums up nicely the opportunity the ATC Cadets have to climb the hill and generally immerse themselves in pre-war motoring. These Cadets are from the local Bishops Cleeve Squadron. This year, marks the 75th Anniversary of the ATC so we're planning a much bigger ATC presence with Squadrons from across the Bristol and Gloucestershire Wing being in attendance. We try to get every Cadet at least one run up the hill during the day - in return for managing the GoPro video operation for us. Pre-War Prescott's designated charity is the RAF Charitable Trust who are a major funder of the ATC. As an ex-ATC Cadet myself, I'm very happy to be able to pay something back to this great organization.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Hall

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2016 :  16:55:25  Show Profile
My son, Matthew is also a 30 something with a 1976 MGB and a 1995 MGF (press car) we only managed to get our J2 on the road last year, in time for his wedding. He has been attending events with me since then, the latest MG ERA day at Brooklands and yes he does have his eye on the J2.

Ian, we will be attending Prescott again this year (I have filled out the entry form and will be posting it soon) as an ex ATC Cadet (1322 Sqn, Newton Abbot) I will be happy to offer a Cadet a lift up the hill.
Peter
J4258

Edited by - Peter Hall on 17/04/2016 17:00:30
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2016 :  20:01:03  Show Profile
Thanks Peter - much appreciated.

MMM entries hit the 30 mark over the weekend with Jeremy Hawke's K3 entry. There are more in the pipeline as the paper entries go to Colin Lee and he saves them up, scans them and sends them over to me in batches. I'll update the online entry list tonight.

Edited by - Ian Grace on 18/04/2016 20:10:49
Go to Top of Page

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2016 :  19:56:06  Show Profile
Some of the children at the local primary school are doing project/competition instigated by Jaguar whereby they are building and racing air cannister powered drag racers. I went in to talk about aerodynamics and frictional losses (not that I know much but more than the teacher!). It was a fun experience and using the car was a nice focal point. Some of the children are very bright.

Go to Top of Page

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2016 :  21:44:59  Show Profile
Great to see the stories keeping on coming through, and that interest from the younger generation is very much, alive and well.
Donald
PB0759
Go to Top of Page

OllieH

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  17:55:34  Show Profile
My future MG driver...

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3219 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  01:10:04  Show Profile
Folks, don't just take pictures of the kids in the old banger, let them ride in it, take them to events, and totally immerse them in the restoration, and the social and driving events. Then when they are old enough, teach them how to drive it. It works!
Asked what my granddaughter wanted for Christmas last, she warmed my heart by announcing that all she wanted was a registration to the Triple-M annual event in Louisville.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  16:53:06  Show Profile
Lew, couldn't agree more. Here's a couple taken at Pre-War Prescott in July, where we always get the ATC Cadets as many rides up the hill as possible. The first is Ollie Richardson and the second is two of our slightly post-vintage course cars ... all good stuff.

http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/Forumpix/ATC1.JPG

http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/Forumpix/ATC2.JPG
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
656 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  17:10:38  Show Profile
One more I just found - by Colin Murrell:

http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/Forumpix/ATC3.JPG

Edited by - Ian Grace on 08/09/2016 17:11:24
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1488 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  19:36:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Grace

One more I just found - by Colin Murrell:

http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/Forumpix/ATC3.JPG

Just to save people clicking on the link
Thanks Ian
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3219 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  22:29:15  Show Profile
That's what I'm talking about! A smile on every kid's face.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000