Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Bringing in the new generation
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

malcolm jones

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  15:27:52  Show Profile
Hello Lew- agreed let the youngsters ride in our cars as soon as possible, enthusiasm is infectious. But what about Legislation on the use of old cars? Safety of course is paramount, but if pulled over by the law, it would be good to be able to state with some authority what is and isn't allowed in a 30's two or four seater, built before seat belts and their fixings became mandatory, 'type approval' etc. I've tried to find out by checking the Legislation which I find difficult to understand , apparently to depends on the age of the passenger, but have had conflicting statements from people, and the law seems to have been written with little understanding of us old car enthusiasts.
Malcolm

M. G. Jones
Go to Top of Page

malcolm jones

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  16:35:16  Show Profile
Hello again Lew,
for instance, how legal is this, me taking daughter and granddaughter on a short drive just after I had bought the car? They loved it, even though it was mid winter,
Malcolm

M. G. Jones
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  17:03:11  Show Profile
Malcolm,

If that was on a public road that wasn't remotely legal. The law is very straightforward for our cars if we assume that we haven't gone to the extent of fitting properly secured seat belts or ISOFIX mounting points: in two seaters, a child must be either 12 years old or 135cm tall, whichever comes first, as until then they must use an approved car seat which can only be properly mounted using either seat belts or an ISOFIX mounting; in four seaters, a child over the age of three can travel in the back without seat belts ; a child under the age of three can't travel in our cars at all.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 10/09/2016 17:22:43
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  19:15:09  Show Profile
This is right out then!

Top of the Wrynose Pass no less, think of all those hairpin bends.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  20:25:12  Show Profile
And this! Daughter Charlotte's seat is just sitting on the passenger seat of the late Jerry Keuper's TD! It was a hot and humid Florida day and on the drive back to Jerry's house she asked me to turn on the air-conditioning!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
395 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2016 :  04:50:24  Show Profile
And at what age can a child ride as pillion on a motorbike - no seatbelts there !

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2016 :  06:11:57  Show Profile
There is no age limit for motorcycle pillion passengers.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Cris DaBica

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2016 :  01:06:00  Show Profile
Me in 1973 in my Dad's swept-wing J2:

My son a couple years ago in my parents' TC:

And him last week in J3459 when we were picking it up:

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic