Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG NB DOOR STARBURST PATTERN
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  13:58:28  Show Profile
Sorry guys, but I can't stop myself. The Art Deco motif you are discussing is generally referred to as a sunburst. If CK called it a starburst then I apologise.

Signed - an unrepentant pedant.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

pmullen

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  15:31:01  Show Profile
I believe only the four seater has the sunburst pattern on the rear wheel well. Please confirm.

Tom; thanks for the authenticity update.

Thanks

Ross Mullen
0895 two seater
Go to Top of Page

Npdavea

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  17:52:36  Show Profile
Ross,
Mine has the sunburst pattern on the door pocket and a different one on the wheelarch. I am now back and can send you the Powerpoint with all the dimensions and photos in. Please post your actual email so I can attach the file.
This green NB sold by Barry Walker some time ago has the incorrect pattern on the wheelarch as it used the same as the door pocket. Mine is quite different.

D P Allen
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
497 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  21:11:51  Show Profile
Correct Pat, only the four seat has the sun rays on the wheel arches, although I couldn't resist using the pattern on my two seat arches even though rarely seen.

Easy to see why the sun rays became unpopular during the war....

Ahhh so. tommmm
Go to Top of Page

pmullen

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  15:31:32  Show Profile
Alan:
Got the pattern for the four seater wheel arch. Like Tom, I am quite partial to the SUN burst (thanks for the correction) and will consider its application when we start the interior panels for the rear of 0895.

Ross Mullen

Go to Top of Page

Christopher Hobbs

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  09:27:08  Show Profile
Thanks for this useful discussion; within it the pictures b/w and green rear seat upholstery in 4 seater Ntypes, prompts me to ask Would this be the same type of 'flowing' rear seats also in K1s?
I have K0334 which has relatively new upholstery 70/80/early 90s? But with separate back and base units which are both very heavy and very very high/thick so when people sit in the rear they are quite high and pushed forward towards front seats!
Does anybody have same pictures for correct seating in a K1?
Also know upholsterer in Southern England?
Thanks Christopher

C.Hobbs
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  10:15:42  Show Profile
Christopher, I can't answer your upholstery question however SM Trimming just outside Lewes made my hood very well and seem always to be busy. I've also heard other recommendations; http://smtrimming.co.uk/

Might be worth talking to them?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  11:27:15  Show Profile
Christopher, Try Roger Harvey near Lymington .I will try to find a phone no. Geoff
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  13:16:55  Show Profile
Christopher,

Ian MacKay's K1 has correct upholstery, as does George Ward's car. Ask him to bring it to the next Triple-M Mattingley lunch! Ian's car is in my garage so I can take some photos if that helps.

The back and the base are separate items

John R

Edited by - John Reid on 05/08/2017 13:20:50
Go to Top of Page

Christopher Hobbs

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  20:58:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by John Reid

Christopher,

Ian MacKay's K1 has correct upholstery, as does George Ward's car. Ask him to bring it to the next Triple-M Mattingley lunch! Ian's car is in my garage so I can take some photos if that helps.

The back and the base are separate items

John R

Thanks John, that would be very helpful Christopher

C.Hobbs
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  10:37:02  Show Profile
In response to Tom Metcalf's input: Yes, I can see that stitch line along the bottom edge to, unless it is to secure a material to the rear of the door panel I can't see why it is there? Unless it is to imitate piping that you don't fit or purely decorative. I now sew the sweeping curve on vertical inner wheel arch panels as I feel it looks good and matches the doors. I can successfully make any trim Panels for any MMM now.
Personally I have never liked how they did the rear seats in some 4 strs where the base and the back is continuous and you get all those creases. That was done to save time and money as a separate base and back takes longer. At least is stops you losing your money down the back haha. Guess you can't argue with original though.

The 3 sets of original NB door cards here all have a single stitch line across the entire bottom edge. It can just be seen on Rod's blue panel bottom.

tommm
[/quote]

Regards James Collingburn

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 10/10/2017 10:42:26
Go to Top of Page

Npdavea

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  21:01:40  Show Profile
Re the alleged stitch line along the very bottom of the door trim panel on N Types, I have looked very closely at my original NB door trims and cannot discern any stitch line.
I am sure they are original as the car was not used after 1968 and the pads were in a pretty awful condition then having been painted in two new colours over the original green.
I can provide photos to avoid doubts!!

D P Allen
Go to Top of Page

kjrj

United Kingdom
136 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2017 :  22:15:02  Show Profile
Just to say thanks for this post. I'm in a similar position with NA0950, which has non-original door cards (though serviceable). Only one thing to add. The car is yours to do with as you wish. It's not a listed building or a scheduled historic monument. Personally I really like the MG logo and am tempted to add them, even if they're not original.

Regards,

Kevin

(OK, I know... mouth, soap, water)

Kevin Jones
Letchworth, Herts
NA0950
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2017 :  14:49:56  Show Profile
I think it's actually sunburst as in beams of sunlight but starburst definitely sounds cooler :-)
Anyway, I am proficient in making trim panels, door cards etc. for MMM and cars of that period.
Blue panels were for a recent PB. 1 or 2 of the smaller panels are in the wrong position, I made up my own jigsaw so they fit in the photo.
The Maroon/Black doors were for a K3 racer that my Dad did (Parkinsons had set in by then but he was determined) but I helped him and I can make them, although not much call obviously. Anything is possible and I am happy to break the mould of originality, after all, you are the customer, it's your car and your right to do what you feel looks best. I respect originality but I fully embrace change and customer's choice.

Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  21:30:54  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Andrew Fock

Hi Ross,

This is the original door card from NA 0926 (an NB four seater).

Just out of interest Andrew, can you remember what the original door cards/trim panels were made out of? Good plywood, cheap plywood or softer fibreboard and what thickness? Only because sewing machines aren't designed to sew through hard wood, mine, and they are powerful industrial lock stitchers that will sew through 1cm thick of trimming materials struggle to sew through 3-4mm birch throughout ply, especially on T-Types when hidem is introduced into the mix. I wondered what they used originally? Maybe the wood I'm using is too good.

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 01/04/2018 21:34:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000