Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Chassis file details
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2143 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2017 :  19:15:01  Show Profile
Ok yes, the MG CC Simon. The division which handles chassis files anyway.

Richard

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6022 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2017 :  21:08:52  Show Profile
Rich,

Joking apart, I think it's important to be clear that the Triple-M Register has no role to play in making the chassis file information available, whether to members or non-members. So to casually say 'OK, yes the MG CC' as though I was splitting hairs gives quite the wrong impression. The issue, if there is on, is with the MGCC and not the Register although I think one bloke, with the help of a volunteer, hardly constitutes a 'division'.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 26/06/2017 21:10:36
Go to Top of Page

Blithe Spirit

United Kingdom
185 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2017 :  21:18:05  Show Profile
It can be quite difficult for a triple m (only) owner to justify the cost of joining the MG Car Club, as the only value gained is this register, and rightly or not, most of these benefits are there f.o.c.
I am a member, partly to "pay" something towards the Triple M register, partly because I also have an MGA, but mostly because I have been a member for 50 years. However, if I was new to MGs via a recent triple m acquisition, I would find it hard to justify joining the club. Better, perhaps, to spend the money on VSCC membership where you will get discounted tickets to spectate at all sorts of events where more triple m cars are to be seen than at most MGCC events, and get more opportunities to compete against similar cars if you want more action.

How was MG Silverstone this year, I've seen little comment on the forum ? I decided not to go for the first time in 40 years. Instead I went to the Brooklands double 12, where I got two free weekend tickets for displaying my car, and was able to join around 20 other triple m cars playing with other cars of a similar era (and ERA).

I know this concern for the relevance of the MGCC has been discussed on many occasions, but it will not go away. I hope main club is aware of members' concerns and prepared to discuss ways of improving the value to members of the Abingdon cars. Otherwise our support for club events will continue to wither and pressure to MGexit grow; we may even hold a referendum! Pity.
regards,
David
J3768
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2017 :  23:18:20  Show Profile
Re. Silverstone, the MMM tent was super and much appreciated, thanks. Weather was great. Racing extremely boring. Auto solo looked a lot of fun and would have done it save for my bust engine. Trade stands awful. Bus rides good. Very nice family atmosphere with lots of friendly people.

Inspired me enough to chuck the car all back together on Saturday evening and take it on the trailer on Sunday, anyway!

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

cur10k

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  00:48:29  Show Profile
Regarding MG Live this year I would agree with much of what leafrancis14 says although I thought the trade stands were an improvement over previous years.

However I do feel that for racing the GP circuit should be dropped & a return made to the club circuit. As I left at 5pm on Sunday for a 350 mile drive home there was a race taking place for Radicals. Fast ? Yes ... of interest to most MG people? I think not.

I know this has been talked about frequently at Council but as part of the attempts to improve MG Live then a track suitable for MMMs, VSCC , 750mc type cars should be used.

Perhaps then MMM cars & drivers would return in decent numbers not only to make a better weekend but also to enable the MMM AGM to take place ( as discussed on another thread!)

The next Council Meeting is October ... be prepared!
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  14:54:04  Show Profile
Out of interest
Who actually "owns" the MMM chassis files ?
Us or MGCC ?
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6022 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  15:30:56  Show Profile
Tony,

Who do you mean by 'Us'?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  15:39:17  Show Profile
Tony this question was put at the AGM. In the interests of openness and democracy let me tell you the answer! Our president Mike Alison who it was who rescued the files from the British Leyland refuse bins and made them available was quite clear they are the property of the MG car club Limited.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2017 :  16:11:10  Show Profile
There is no distinction between "Us" and the MG Car Club Ltd. The Register's only legal status is as a branch of MGCC Ltd and as such is covered by its insurances, its VAT registration etc, etc. Just because this Forum exists and is both successful and popular does not somehow float it off as a separate entity. It is a service provided by the MG Car Club Ltd via its MMM Register branch, which is managed by volunteers. The fact that it is open to all-comers is a policy enacted by the Register Committee in benevolent recognition of the fact that, as has already been clarified, so many MMM owners are abroad. There are also many complications to putting a wall round a "members only" area any way. If you benefit from the forum without paying a Club subscription, thank your lucky stars and pray the policy doesn't change!

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

cur10k

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2017 :  00:08:10  Show Profile
Malcolm, thanks but with reference to your final comment,

'If you benefit from the forum without paying a Club subscription, thank your lucky stars and pray the policy doesn't change!'

I believe that policy at least as far as UK residents is concerned is unsustainable & should change. Sniping at MGCC from non member MMM owners is out of order.
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2017 :  14:56:08  Show Profile
It was a simple query - I didn't mean to open yet another can of worms !!
To answer the "Us" query - I was meaning the MMM Register - I neglected to add our illustrious President on the list as, Dick pointed out - as it was he that went delving in the factory bins !
But are the the MGCC actually the owners - should this not be the MG Car Co.?
No, I have not been asleep since 1979 - so should, by default, they belong to the nice little chap at SAIC who now makes "MG's" ??

I do hope that the dig at non MGCC members on the forum was not aimed at me - 52 years a MGCC member and 50 with a Triple M
Go to Top of Page

cur10k

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2017 :  15:09:29  Show Profile
Tonym.... sorry if you thought that.

My comment was not directed at you...
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1712 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2017 :  18:02:26  Show Profile
I never watch television, but what was that programme called? not Steptoe... come on brain... Victor Meldrew! Got it! I note the presence of more and more old grumps by the day!

May I say, I have just had excellent service from Peter Neal in the office who has reported on the chassis file of the car I have been researching and that the response here from the "knowledgeable"has been quite extraordinary, Sam C with the photo and Andrew Harrington and Colin Butchers with information about it, such help would not be forthcoming but for this forum and the more MMM people who have access to it the richer it is, so long may that policy survive.

Keep up the good work, Committee!

I am sure also that the rest of the club secretly admire both us and the Vintage lot and are more than jealous of our cars.

Best wishes

P
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2017 :  08:27:02  Show Profile
Congrats Peter on your 1000th post -Rich
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2017 :  14:46:20  Show Profile
Peter
Some of us "old grumps" are never more happy than when they are playing that role !!!
Add on some Yorkshire parsimoniousness makes it even better
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000